Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-16-2002, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Fresh Blood - Lindsey Does Ballads?

What do you guys think of the Lindsey audio clip on the Fleetwood Mac site, where Lindsey talks about having a "pretty voice" but not being able to use it because he had to play counterpoint to Stevie and therefore be more masculine and angry? Is this to prepare us for the fact that there will be no ballads on the new album? Or perhaps it means that he IS doing ballads on the new album?

I'd love to hear Lidnsey sing a love ballad. He did have a pretty voice on "Crystal." It's interesting that what one may arguably call a love song - "Mystified" - was sung by Christine.

Old 12-16-2002, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I for one would LOVE a Lindsey ballad on the new Mac album. He did them quite well on OOTC. Within a Fleetwood Mac context, I imagine they'd be stellar . However- I don't see that happening much this time around. He seems to be going for a more hard edged sound with this new album... and of course there's his perrenial wacky Lindsey songs. Let's hope he shows his versatility and gives us a taste of all three . ~Louie
Old 12-17-2002, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For Lindsey to sing another Stevie-penned ballad like "Crystal" would be the icing on an already scrumptious cake for me!

Plus, if Stevie were to write it, and he were to sing it, the implications would be obvious. His voice sounds the "prettiest" with her, anyway.

Was he saying he can't use his "pretty" voice now, or in the past?
Old 12-18-2002, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't think he was quite saying he "can't" use his pretty voice ... hehe... I don't know why that sentence made me giggle. But I think he was saying that he's often chosen not to use his calmer, sweeter voice in FM recordings because Stevie (and in the past Christine) have the warmer, sweeter side of things pretty well covered with their voices. So he seemed to feel it was best for the group if he did vocals in an edgier style to create more contrast and add a distinctly masculine set of pipes to the mix.

What I took away from the quote was that he is still going to do at least some of the more edgy vocals on the new album, because he said something about how he recognizes it's something he's sort of known for now so he doesn't feel like he should just suddenly stop even if he doesn't exactly feel past anguish so closely anymore. But...I do hope one or two ballad-y type things of Lindsey's make the record. I'd love it if Say Goodbye made it. It's a vocal style for him that we don't hear a lot and I really like it. It seems like it's his folky heart coming through.

I love Christine's Mystified, but I also really enjoy the outtake version with Lindsey on vocals. It is interesting that he didn't do that song back then. He seems to be in a different frame of mind today, so I wonder if he would today?

He has an interesting history with ballads. His ballads are just kind of less orthodox, I think. You could argue Save Me A Place or That's All For Everyone are ballads. Things like Shadow of the West of Satisfied Mind might qualify too. I think I consider Bleed to Love Her a ballad of sorts.

Last edited by Les; 12-18-2002 at 01:38 PM..
Old 12-18-2002, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's not forget his take on "All My Sorrows", too.

Now that Stevie's "pretty voice" has gotten a more than noticeable rasp to it (c'mon ADMIT IT! ), maybe Lindsey COULD use his "pretty voice" more now.

I can relate to Lindsey's comment. Most of the time in my bands when I sing, I do the gruff bluesy thing, but there are times when I really would like to sing the "pretty stuff" as an alternative. (i.e. Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" as opposed to ZZ Top's "La Grange").
Old 12-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Firstly Nancy...Thank God you did another thread coz that Carlos one went on and on... to the inevitable point, where it sank into yet another people bashing thread ( wives and daughters included)...and of course when I pointed that out, I GOT BLASTED as well!!!! PHEW... that feels better! Back to Linds's "pretty" voice..aww.. who wouldn't love to hear that in a fireside setting I think wev'e been spoilt by having the GOS songs leaked and hearing the Stones covers, some of which are ballads that suit him down to the ground, so yes, it would be great to hear some new ones, but I hope he dosn't forget the goofy songs either! I do agree with Louie and hope he gives us all three ways of singing including all things edgy coz thats what provides all the"passion" onstage...singing ballads would kind of tone down the whole stage thing and I think he realizes that, which is why we don't hear him sing "pretty" very much.Besides where would we be without "Not that funny" and " The Ledge"

Last edited by tuigirl; 12-19-2002 at 05:29 PM..
Old 12-18-2002, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I did say PMcC's daughter designs ugly clothes, but, crap I felt entitled, lol, that was MY thread, after all...
With a BIG emphasis on WAS, mind you.

What have I spawned over there? It has taken ona life of it's own, which is bleeding over into this one, (slaps self) OK, right, back to Linds and his voice.

It does sound sublime with Stevie, no matter how he sings.
I could do without NTF this time around.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Fresh Blood - Lindsey Does Ballads?

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
He did have a pretty voice on "Crystal." It's interesting that what one may arguably call a love song - "Mystified" - was sung by Christine.
It would be really interesting, and cool!, if there was something like "Crystal" on this new album, but to be honest I don't think he can pull off that "pretty" voice (or anything even near that) anymore. Hopefully there will be some ballads, perhaps even duets (here's hoping!), but I think they will be cleverly done so that a) he could manage it in the studio and b) more importantly, he can pull it off on stage.

Last edited by seteca; 12-18-2002 at 10:40 PM..
Old 12-19-2002, 03:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default ..oops

..sorry Sulamith, it wasn't YOU, I was having a go at! Just the guys get so carried away sometimes they don't seem to realize it gets messy after a while. Besides, I've caught up with you on another board, and really enjoy reading your posts on that one!(hehehe)..back to Linds are we all really hoping we get a duet/ joint composition thing on the new record...hell yeah.. at least I am, ballad or not. A couple of little guitar interludes a la OOTC would be nice too, but I can't see that happening...onstage maybe though.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's OK, and I knew you weren't really dissing me, haha....

Too many things to talk about!
Old 12-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd be surprised if "Down on Rodeo" weren't on the new album. That's definitely a ballad _ one of the prettiest songs Lindsey's ever written, IMO.
As for his past ballads, my favorite is "Walk a Thin Line."
Old 12-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: ..oops

Quote:
Originally posted by tuigirl
we all really hoping we get a duet/ joint composition thing on the new record
If "Deep Dense" is on there - and I sure hope it is, it's my fave! - that would be a joint composition.

I hope Down on Rodeo is on there, too. Love it.

I guess when I said "ballad" I was thinking the slow-dance-at-prom kind of ballad, lol. But the soft songs have the "pretty voice" component, too.

Old 12-20-2002, 09:53 AM

The whole premise of this thread is somewhat puzzling. Lindsey has always done ballads. Even such songs as Soul Drifter and Oh Diane are ballads. THE GOS leaked songs included a bunch of ballads. So whether he will do ballads for the new album is moot.

I think he should invite Carlos Santana to do a duet with him on a ballad. Perhaps they could retread "To All the Girls I've Loved Before."
Old 12-20-2002, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

GAK! Not the Carlos thread again!

hee hee!
Old 12-20-2002, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Pretty Voice!

Hi! Iam Glad to be back!!!
Now say } Oh, You were gone????
Work! Work! Work! Iam a Slave!

Anyway...Les always mirrors my thoughts!
Good critique of Lindsey's pretty...softer...
romantic voicings! Say Goodbye is nice as
was September Song and his pretty song
I like very much...Shadow of The West!!!

What a thrill to hear some balladeering from
The Guitar Man! Teamed with Carlos they'd be
rolling in the dough!!! ha ha ha! Oh, yah! Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey