The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Seeds We Sow - Lindsey's worst album?

That's what I've decided. Discuss.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not for me. That's Go insane, IMO. I do, However feel SWS is a huge disappointment. Sooooooooo many recycled ideas, no growth. It's so predictable. Have not spun it since the month of release

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 12-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My personal choice for that honor is Law and Order.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
Not for me. That's Go insane, IMO. I do, However feel SWS is a huge disappointment. Sooooooooo many recycled ideas, no growth. It's so predictable. Have not spun it since the month of release

Mick
I haven't stopped spinning it!! I've been listening to it non-stop since the Saban concert. Live version...studio version...I just love it <333

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Ditto.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default I agree.

I agree, 100% and totally. I think most of the songs sound unfinished, lazily mixed, and simply pale copies of previous songs. He had an unexpected chunk of time open up to make this record, so he was in no rush. And we know the man likes to tinker and add like 100 tracks to a song. Similarly, he's self-mixed some excellent tracks before as well, like most of UTS. There's really no reason this record needed to come out the way it did other than he had free time, made a lazy album, and is justifying that by beating his "DIY" sensibility into the ground. NEWSFLASH: He's been DIYing it for decades already, and it didn't suck before.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sadly, yep. I'm not crazy about most of UTS, but it is a better album than SWS. Also, the mixing. Eek.

And yeah, the songs are weaker overall than any other album. I know he has the theme of "one song with other people on it" going, but I actually think he remixed/overdubbed/whatever TTWLG so much that something like Illumination actually sounds MORE like other people are playing on it! And TTWLG is better live.

I haven't listened to it for at least a month either. I still listen to Law and Order now and then, same with Go Insane. I listen to OOTC and UTS rarely, and GOS now and then.

Still, his "worst" album is better than plenty of people's "best" albums...
Old 12-03-2011, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
That's what I've decided. Discuss.
i hate hate hate that you started this thread of all days today when such bad news just came out re the UK tour.

and for the record, i think SWS is a gorgeous album and i'm extremely grateful he put it out this year, followed by an incredible tour and DVD/blu-ray.

but unlike some in this thread i can see that tastes are different and not everybody likes what i do.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachTroutman View Post
NEWSFLASH: He's been DIYing it for decades already,
Glad you pointed that out. I'm so sick of the press touting that like it's the first time ever in history!
Old 12-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default THANK YOU Elle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i hate hate hate that you started this thread of all days today when such bad news just came out re the UK tour.

and for the record, i think SWS is a gorgeous album and i'm extremely grateful he put it out this year, followed by an incredible tour and DVD/blu-ray.

but unlike some in this thread i can see that tastes are different and not everybody likes what i do.
I'm going to be completely honest: I love this effing album. I don't give a **** about "recycled ideas" and all that. The music and the songs are what I'm about, ok? And, to my ears, these songs are absolutely sublime. I have fallen in love with each of them (well, except "One Take" which I think is just fun and SSS which I can take or leave) at one point or another since the album was released. I am STILL playing the album. With Lindsey's albums, I always dive in with the subconscious expectation that it will have to be played a few times before it hits me.

That didn't happen with this one- or OOTC. I'm not saying this makes the album better than others, or that this is an indication of a superior album. I'm just saying that the album was a gem from first listen on for me. I don't skip a track. It takes me out of a bad mood. The transitions are beautiful and I honestly can't criticize it because I feel so connected to it at this point. I place it right up there alongside Out Of The Cradle and it is the LB album I most recommend to my friends. And it's the one I have had the most success impressing them with.

If anything, Lindsey's "borrowed" and "same old" that is making so many of you feel SWS is underwhelming is him just repeating and borrowing from himself. I don't think he can help it and, at this point, why try to escape it? He defined his own sound and his albums all have his distinct style all over them...he's only building on what HE made in the first place.

I really don't agree with the title of this thread, but I don't care either because- to me- every single Lindsey album is interesting and has it's own quirkiness that makes him a one-of-a-kind. I love that there are so many people that have different favorite LB albums, instead of everyone agreeing on just one album. I mean, that is great as well but the various shades of his character are represented in different ways throughout his solo catalog. And I love that about the artist that he is.

Anyway, LOVE SWS and am not embarrassed that I still play IOOT really loud and squeal over "Rock Away Blind" like the fangirl that I am for this amazing album.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

That's mine as well!!!

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 12-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think Seeds We Sow is one of his best albums, actually. I don't think he's capable of creating a bad album, although if we're talking ranking, Under The Skin would probably be at the bottom for me. With Go Insane sat comfortably having a cup of Tea with Law and Order at the top.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, while I'm not thrilled with SWS I did quite like a lot of it. I hated Under the Skin and Gift of Screws (can't listen to them), so no, SWS isn't his worst album.

Though, to be perfectly honest, his solo work isn't even close to his work with Fleetwood Mac.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Definitely Law and Order or UTS would rank at the bottom of my list. I kind of feel that for the time though and it being his first album that Law and Order deserves a lot of credit and shouldm't be viewed in 2011 as it would have been when it debuted. I liked UTS fine when it was released, but it doesn't hold up so well over time for me and I probably liked it more, because I had been waiting so long for another album from him. So, it benefitted in my estimation, by the timing of its release.

Show You How still is one of my favorite all-time songs of his, though.

Regarding albums, SWS, GoS and OOTC are at the top.

That puts Go Insane in the middle, but I love that album. I think it is stellar. The fact that it comes in 4th does not mean it lacks quality in my mind at all.

Michele
Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the songs on SWS a lot. But the production / mixing and whatnot really takes away some of the quality for me. It sounds unprofessional and unfinished a lot of the time, like it's just a working demo or something. I still listen to it a lot because like I said I do love the songs but I can't help but wish it didn't SOUND so do it yourself and quite frankly, amateurish. There are only a few songs that I think sonically are play this way because it doesn't diminish them in any way - RAB and IOOT for example.

And again, I'm speaking of the recording and production.... I find the songs stellar and love them live especially.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

I must be the only one who loves "Go Insane" as one of my favorites! perhaps it now holds meaning of a special, certain time in my life...BUT wehn I heard it then, i was obsessed with it. No, it wasn't 1984, it was 1999, LOL, but I just loved it.

"Out of the Cradle" is probably my favorite now though. The whole CD just flows together for me. I wish I had seen him on that tour. UGH!

I DO enjoy SWS, but it's not my favorite album. There are some great tracks on there, and some have been given new life to me after hearing them LIVE at his shows. I still far prefer a live version of Stars Are crazy I feel the need to imitate his "shoulder shimmies" and vibrato whenever i say "Stars Are Crazy". (see other thread, LOL)

OMG, as I write this, I am listening to a show I went to in March '07 in Philly...(thanks to a very sweet and fellow loving Lindsey fan!) Hearing this 4 and a half years laters is amazing...and our audience was CRAZY! The venue was small, and we shouted things and virtually spoke to Lindsey in between songs...and I just heard him yell "You guys are a great ****IN' audience!"...which I had totally forgotten that he said to us!! I think i just about died when i heard that in person i am sure! LOL, it's funny to hear people you idolize say naughty words!! Heehee.