User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't find the overriding message hopeful in Dreams, as the heart beat has driven him mad (in classic telltale, guilt-ridden Poe style) pining for what he has lost, long before the rain washes him clean.

On the other hand, having someone offer to give you the world, if you would only take it from them, is a beautiful love song, Stevemeister. So, don't say he never wrote any for you.

Michele

Yep! In addition (way off-topic), some writer somewhere said that it was interesting that younger Stevie's songs were "tougher" than the older Christine's. I think that's bunk too. Stevie's are the songs of someone in turmoil, who can't quite control her emotions; Christine's are tough cuz she looks at heartache... sensibly. All these different approaches are, of course, what makes Rumours the greatest album of all time.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't find the overriding message hopeful in Dreams, as the heart beat has driven him mad (in classic telltale, guilt-ridden Poe style) pining for what he has lost, long before the rain washes him clean.
true, because it's not meant to be hopeful or a lovesong.
Quote:
On the other hand, having someone offer to give you the world, if you would only take it from them, is a beautiful love song, Stevemeister. So, don't say he never wrote any for you.
are you kidding me? lmao. I just...I...there are no words. there are none.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers View Post
are you kidding me? lmao. I just...I...there are no words. there are none.
Jaz, go your own way, please. I don't want you around anymore.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Yep! In addition (way off-topic), some writer somewhere said that it was interesting that younger Stevie's songs were "tougher" than the older Christine's. I think that's bunk too. Stevie's are the songs of someone in turmoil, who can't quite control her emotions; Christine's are tough cuz she looks at heartache... sensibly. All these different approaches are, of course, what makes Rumours the greatest album of all time.
I am not sure about the context of "tougher". So, I can't really comment knowledgeably on that. If we are just talking about lyrical content, Stevie doesn't often subjugate herself the way Christine does in her words. That's why, when you have a song like "Reconsider Me," when Stevie says that's not usually her style, I know exactly what she means. While lyrically, Christine herself would write something like Reconsider Me. Now, I'm just saying that about the lyrics. As people, I wouldn't dare say that Stevie is tougher than Chris or vice versa.

And of course, what I always say is that is what I love so much about, for instance, Think About Me. Christine makes it a plea and Lindsey jumps in and makes it a demand. I love it.

Other times I love when Lindsey's scream gives a lyric a harsher edge is when he's on Angel shouting "haunted song" and on EFO with the back ground vocals, "anywhere we can baby, anytime he can . . . " Actually, Lindsey is not rougher there than Stevie is there, because Stevie's own vocals are pretty hard-edged anyway.

As for Lindsey's romanticism, he's always had the ability for poetic imagery and melancholy. You can't deny it on Can't Go Back, for example. But these days it's a more consistent theme in all of his work and it's quite beautiful.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
but, but, I tried to write you a lovesong and it came out all rainbows and fairies. please, let's try again. doesn't your heartbeat drive you ~mad~
Old 10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
I love you, you useless slut.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
true, because it's not meant to be hopeful or a lovesong.
And yet Stevie interprets it as both. And her interpretation of the song is what I was talking about.

Michele
Old 10-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What! I'm positive about phony magician and that's also a reference to the sleight of hand she uses in twirling the tamborine, which he probably doesn't think is all that hot of a talent.

wait. are you serious?
Quote:
About Stevie's lyrics, I just wanted to add that the change she makes to Don't Stop is very annoying. If the alteration is to make the song less negative -- that's the most upbeat song in the band's repertoire already! If the alteration is just because she doesn't know the doggone words, well that's troublesome too. Christine couldn't care less, but for someone who puts so much store in their own lyrics, Stevie should be a bit more mindful of the bandmate's. Wasn't good equals BAD. Michele
well now we all know Stevie changes lyrics at the drop of a hat. it's what she does. I don't know that she changed the lyrics to Don't Stop for any one reason or if it just happened. either way, it doesn't really make a difference...really.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
but, but, I tried to write you a lovesong and it came out all rainbows and fairies. please, let's try again. doesn't your heartbeat drive you ~mad~
watch out for that rain. it'll haunt you for the rest of your life, but you won't know until it washes you clean. and for crying out loud, stop whining about me keeping you down.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
what are you talking about?
Quote:
And yet Stevie interprets it as both. And her interpretation of the song is what I was talking about.
I think what Stevie was saying was that at least Dreams isn't an in-your-face-ugly song as Go Your Own Way is. Dreams isn't a hopeful or love song in the classic sense, but compared to GYOW, it is.

ETA: what I'm saying is that yes, Stevie is the biggest drama queen ever and over the years, made GYOW way worse than it is. it does have sentimental elements clouded by Lindsey's bitterness, but it is in NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM a lovesong.

Last edited by JazmenFlowers; 10-16-2007 at 01:30 PM..
Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike View Post
That, right there, is the essence of the song. He should have named it that instead of Go Your Own Way.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That, right there, is the essence of the song. He should have named it that instead of Go Your Own Way.
omg, so rite.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed.

"Loving you isn't the right thing to do. . ."

That's present tense. That's a love song!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
where's that friggin' puking icon?

there it is.

omg dont u lyk ~stevieeeee~~~ ?
y u gotta badmouf da ~kween~?

Quote:
oh man, i can't believe i didn't say this first. what's wrong with me?
hold please. i'm compiling a list.

Quote:
should i be offended?
yes. i'm sick of people like you who can't carry on a serious conversation about FM.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
well now we all know Stevie changes lyrics at the drop of a hat. it's what she does. I don't know that she changed the lyrics to Don't Stop for any one reason or if it just happened. either way, it doesn't really make a difference...really.
It matters to me. And changing your own lyrics is one thing, but when you're singing a band mate's song which, is in many ways, a tribute to them in absence, I think you should learn the words.

One of the reasons why I think Stevie got herself together and stopped crying long enough to finish the song in Reno is that she noticed Lindsey was singing Goodbye Baby all over the place, from the tower to the shattering lights. She was like, "Boo hoo. Sob. Wait-- what the heck is he doing?"

As for GYOW, it's a dripping love song. People should sing it at weddings! If Lindsey had sung it all sweet and croony like Wilson Phillips, Stevie would have started purring.

No, it is a love song, lost love song. You can tell someone to get out, but it hardly matters if you're asking them to come back in the next breath. Stevie recognized when she concluded that Never Going Back Again was the sweetest thing that Lindsey ever wrote for her.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that it's about her. And I don't agree with her interpretation of it, but she says that in the end he exposes his real feelings and says, why don't you come back and see me some time and she interprets that as wanting her. Well, in that sense, the love and wanting is much more explicit in GYOW than it is in NGBA. The main difference in why Stevie doesn't read it the same way is the driving music, that and the fact that she was accused of sleeping around. The beat of GYOW says get out, get out, but the bulk of the words themselves say something quite different.

As for the end of Go Insane, yeah I was kidding. I never heard him saying anything there . . . except "foamy electrician," which I imagine is a caution against Stevie blow drying her hair, while taking a bubble bath.

Michele