User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Probably

Dumb Lindsey. LOL

Oh and I don't have perfect pitch. I don't think I do. I just thought I remembered YMLF to be in A flat, but I didn't think that sounded right but G didn't either. If I had perfect pitch it would have bothered me from the get-go and I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate any of their out of tune stuff.

I never even noticed until I tried to play it. I have synths but the piano is right in the room with the stereo, so...

I can jam RIGHT along with The Dance though so it must be something with the mastering of the studio recordings. Today, I played along with Straight Back and Can't Go Back on the piano and it was perfectly in tune. However, Hold Me is WAY off! Eww, like, waaaaay off. I still know the song to play it alone though.

Whatever kind of pitch I have it's cool to be able to chart out the chords and learn them just from remembering how they go.
Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hmmm... The thread that became two!

Noooo... It's too much fun and tempting. That's what I do when I should using the Sheet Music book I bought off Carne. But even that sheet music is an interpretation of what FM (usually Chris) is playing, so I guess your and my interp's are just as valid!

See how I so effortlessly just rationalised myself out of sight-reading practice? Pathetic.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Probably

Quote:
Originally posted by EricBliss12345
Oh and I don't have perfect pitch. I don't think I do. I just thought I remembered YMLF to be in A flat, but I didn't think that sounded right but G didn't either. If I had perfect pitch it would have bothered me from the get-go and I probably wouldn't be able to tolerate any of their out of tune stuff.

I can jam RIGHT along with The Dance though so it must be something with the mastering of the studio recordings. Today, I played along with Straight Back and Can't Go Back on the piano and it was perfectly in tune. However, Hold Me is WAY off! Eww, like, waaaaay off. I still know the song to play it alone though.
Sometimes these CDs sound a little sharp or flat of the absolute pitch depending on the unit you're using to play the CD. Otherwise, maybe there isn't much pitch correction going on in the studio by the band, & maybe that's for a valid aesthetic reason. I don't think it's improbable that Buckingham & the other producers & engineers tamper a bit with the absolute pitch in the post-recording stages if the result sounds better to them.

As far as the keys in which the band has always performed these songs live, "You Make Loving Fun" has always been in Gm, & "Hold Me" in G.