The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-01-2003, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tango in the Night- the best record!

Anyone else think TITN is the best Fleetwood Mac record? I love it and I play it the most out of all the records. Anyone agree?

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 08-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like TITN, but Mirage is the best for me primarily because of Hold Me, Gypsy, and Eyes of the World, Love in Store. I just think it was the Mac at their pop/rock best.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-01-2003, 03:13 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Tango in the Night- the best record!

Quote:
Originally posted by diamondsnake
Anyone else think TITN is the best Fleetwood Mac record? I love it and I play it the most out of all the records. Anyone agree?
No.

Although it's a step up from Mirage, IMO.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Christine's songs and Lindsey's (Tango In the Night is one of his best songs!), but Stevie's material is just plain awful.

WISYA has god-awful lyrics and when you listen to the song, you wonder if Stevie forgot how to sing.

WTTR...S isn't as bad and I respect what the song is about, but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Lindsey's backing vocals rock, but that's about it. The line "It's not home/And it's not Tara" is just incredibly cheesy.

Seven Wonders is a great song and I listen to it a lot, but her vocals are a bit ragged, Emmeline makes me laugh, and I wish she would've used something she wrote herself for a Mac record. I much prefer the extended version.

I think the remixes/extended versions are far superior to the album versions. ESPECIALLY Little Lies!!

Old 08-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

WTTR...S isn't as bad and I respect what the song is about, but the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. Lindsey's backing vocals rock, but that's about it. The line "It's not home/And it's not Tara" is just incredibly cheesy.
I do like Tango, although as has been mentioned, it sounds very dated these days.

I happen to really like When I See You Again, and I think the strain to Stevie's voice actually enhances the meaning of the song. I can really do without the songs from Stevie on that album (save Seven Wonders). All of that said, please stay away from the tour video for Tango. Simply awful. Stevie with that hair looks like she should be a judge in the 1700's.

For my money, the best album of that era of the band is Tusk. It's like a musical grab bag.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I didn't appreciate Tango until ~VERY~ recently. I always thought it was just cheesy overdone '80s pop music. But for some reason recently I decided to give it a spin, and I enjoyed it tremendously! It's just got this exotic and decidely mature air about it. I cannot imagine how cool it must have sounded when it came out. I think now more than any other FM album, when I listen to Tango, I am transported to another time and place .
Old 08-01-2003, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by louielouie2000
I didn't appreciate Tango until ~VERY~ recently. I always thought it was just cheesy overdone '80s pop music. But for some reason recently I decided to give it a spin, and I enjoyed it tremendously! It's just got this exotic and decidely mature air about it. I cannot imagine how cool it must have sounded when it came out. I think now more than any other FM album, when I listen to Tango, I am transported to another time and place .
It is cheesily overdone pop. But it's still good, at least what I've heard of it.

Little Lies is a great pop song, and Big Love is great, I just wish the latter track didn't sound so cheap.

The only things I don't like are the overly slick production and glossy keyboards, but the songs are there.
Old 08-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by louielouie2000
It's just got this exotic and decidely mature air about it. I cannot imagine how cool it must have sounded when it came out. I think now more than any other FM album, when I listen to Tango, I am transported to another time and place .
Yes thank you LouieLouie for articulating what I've always felt about this album!!
Old 08-01-2003, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's the Mac..so of course i like it to an extent..it is just different..waay 80's,lol..but it has it's cool moments..

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 08-02-2003, 02:06 AM
Ledgie

My problem with Tango has always been that there is no band feel on any of the tracks. You never get the sense that the 4 instrumentalists ever played together, or were even in the studio at the same time. The rhythm tracks don't have any personality - Mick's drumming sounds suspiciously electronic, you don't notice John's playing much, and Christine's piano is totally absent (and Lindsey probably played many of the synth parts). I realize most albums are stitched together in the studio - Rumours certainly was - but on the earlier FM albums you at least had the illusion of a band playing together. On Tango it's obvious that Lindsey put the instrumental tracks together more or less by himself. I would say it hasn't aged well, but then, I thought it sounded cheesy and synthetic in 1987 as well. The only track I really like on it is "Big Love."

Perversely though, I kind of like "When I See You Again," even though Stevie's vocal is obviously terrible. At least it sounds like it was recorded by human beings. I think she should rerecord her vocals for the Tango songs when they reissue that album!

Last edited by squealy; 08-02-2003 at 02:13 AM..
Old 08-02-2003, 06:32 AM

It's not my favorite. It does seem too "pop" in a "cheesy '80's" sort of way...but again, as with any Mac album it has it's magical moments...this time thanks largely to Christine McVie.

Little Lies, Isn't it Midnight and Everywhere...really are what saved this album...Seven Wonders is good (although not really written by Stevie) and it did well as a single...as did Big Love.

I absolutely LOVE the title track....Lindsey's voice is beautiful and the music is so 'exotic' and dark...it really kicks ass (can you say that on here?)

I love Welcome to the Room...Sara..I think it's my favorite 'Stevie' track on this album...When I See You Again....really isn't all that great....I don't know if this song was recorded before or after rehab...but she just seemed to damn tired to even sing it...and it shows through

IMO...Christine was the saving grace on this one.
Old 08-02-2003, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by squealy
My problem with Tango has always been that there is no band feel on any of the tracks. You never get the sense that the 4 instrumentalists ever played together, or were even in the studio at the same time. The rhythm tracks don't have any personality - Mick's drumming sounds suspiciously electronic, you don't notice John's playing much, and Christine's piano is totally absent (and Lindsey probably played many of the synth parts). I realize most albums are stitched together in the studio - Rumours certainly was - but on the earlier FM albums you at least had the illusion of a band playing together. On Tango it's obvious that Lindsey put the instrumental tracks together more or less by himself. I would say it hasn't aged well, but then, I thought it sounded cheesy and synthetic in 1987 as well.

When I buy a Mac album, I want to hear each voice/personality on the songs. A simple song such as Only Over You or Honey Hi or Love in Store or Steal Your Heart Away is much improved when I can pick out the distinct sounds. Similarly, on the SYW album, I want to hear Stevie on Murrow, a song I do like. Otherwise, we're listening to solo songs, which seems to be a big beef to reviewers, for what little that's worth.
I remember a reviewer said that the great thing about the Tango album is how Lindsey makes each song sound as though the three singers are calling each other from castle turrets. IMO, on too many of the songs it sounds as though they're whispering to each other from different corners of outer space. To Lindsey's credit, the slickness does not sound like bubble gum pop, but instead lends to the album's mystique in a way. Behind the Mask goes a little too far in the other direction towards a more direct, even mundane sound on some songs such as Stand on the Rock. Still, Freedom and Behind the Mask have a similar slick mystical sound to the Tango album, and In the Back of My Mind comes close.
Tango is a good alum, but I do have other issues than just the one Squealy describes. I do like some of the songs, especially Seven Wonders, Little Lies, TITN, and WTTRS. I think Everywhere is very overrated. Big Love has a cool sound but highlights the lack of attention to lyrics that Lindsey was often prone to before Out of the Cradle.
Rolling Stone, a magazine that never seems to get it right when it comes to this band, called the album boring. I wouldn't go that far, but it does seem that most of the songs lack the lyrical depth found on other Mac albums. I think Stevie's absence from the bulk of the songwriting is the key factor here. Christine's songs have her typical pleasant and simple quality, and Lindsey's songs have his cool sounds, but Stevie is the one who usually delivers when it comes to meaningful lyrics for many of us. The fact that she really wrote only two of the songs really affects the album for me, like it's harder for me to connect to this album the way I do to others.

- Jake