Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default How feasible is it?

I didn't know exactly where to post this. We all know that Chris doesn't want to tour anymore. I would like to know how feasible you guys think it would be that she (or other former members) would do a limited number of dates if the rumoured '07 tour ends up being a reunion, anniversary and/or farewell tour.

I'm not that familiar with all of the other members' relationships with the current band - are things all good, are they strained, have they completely lost touch? Is Peter well these days, able and/or willing to play on stage? Do LB& Welch get along or even know eachother well? Would Stevie let Bekka sing Rhiannon? JK.

If they did a short U.S. tour, 40 or 50 dates, then maybe a few in the UK & Europe, I wonder if some of the former members would do a limited number of those dates?

I mean, do the full tour with John, Mick, Stevie & LB - I would prefer Chris to do the entire tour, but assuming she can't be dragged out of retirement.... They could do a few dates with Chris, a few with Welch, a few with Peter, etc. & highlight that particular member's best songs.

I'm sure a limited number of dates, coupled with the fact that there'd be different people at most shows, would probably sell very well. It wouldn't be overkill (like playing the same markets repeatedly, ala SYW) and I for one would definitely travel to see more than one show if I knew I could see Chris at one, Peter at another...

I'm just throwing it out there to see what people think. ;shrug: I have no idea if any of this is remotely possible, or probable, or even desirable. Thoughts, please.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
I didn't know exactly where to post this. We all know that Chris doesn't want to tour anymore. I would like to know how feasible you guys think it would be that she (or other former members) would do a limited number of dates if the rumoured '07 tour ends up being a reunion, anniversary and/or farewell tour.

I'm not that familiar with all of the other members' relationships with the current band - are things all good, are they strained, have they completely lost touch? Is Peter well these days, able and/or willing to play on stage? Do LB& Welch get along or even know eachother well? Would Stevie let Bekka sing Rhiannon? JK.
My gut tells me an appearance by Christine, even at just one or two shows in London, is unlikely. As far as other folks:

Peter is certainly well enough to play these days, but I don't know that he (or I, for that matter) would have any interest in being part of the Stevie-Lindsey circus. Ditto Jeremy (whose relationship with Mick is probably a bit less friendly than Peter's, but I think they're at least on good terms). Personally, I'd like to see a few dates with just Peter-Jeremy-John-Mick. I think there's a lot of potential for something like that to be really great, and I believe we have at least a few hints that Peter might be interested. Maybe somebody could gauge Jeremy's interest over on the Pre-Rumours forum, if he's still reading.

Danny's not a possibility at all, I think he's still far too ill.

Bob Welch of course has had some rather strained relationships with Mick, John and Chris as a result of the whole royalty debacle, but I bet he'd be willing to bury the hatchet if Mick and John were. (As far as Bob and Lindsey are concerned, they at least got along well enough back in the 70s; Lindsey did some producing for him.)

Bob Weston... probably not, I doubt he's been in touch with anyone in the Mac for quite a few years now.

Dave Walker... uhhh...

Rick and Billy - I can't imagine either of them wouldn't be amenable to the idea of playing some dates with the band. Same with Dave Mason and Bekka, though I wonder if they'd even be considered by the current band.

Personally, with the exception of seeing Bob Welch join in the fun, or seeing Christine come back into the fold for at least a few dates, I don't really have much interest in a The-Many-Faces-of-Fleetwood-Mac Variety Show. My big hope, as I mentioned above, is a Peter-Jeremy-John-Mick reunion, or at least a Peter-John-Mick reunion. Some live shows would be a great treat, but my real dream is for them to cut an album together, with somebody like Rick Rubin at the reins making sure everything gets done good and proper, and helping them choose a cool mix of blues standards and newer songs (stuff by the likes of the White Stripes or Black Keys) and maybe some new originals to record.

Gotta get my hands on this new Jeremy album that everybody seems to like, too...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's certainly desirable but I don't think Christine would do it.

She hasn't played live since The Dance tour which if they tour in 2007 will be around 10 years without playing live. I just don't think she's got it in her anymore (more's the pity)

Bob Welch or Peter Green might be persuaded though.

I'd travel a long way to see FM with Christine again but I don't think I need to start saving up!

Gail
Old 03-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

She hasn't played live since The Dance tour which if they tour in 2007 will be around 10 years without playing live. I just don't think she's got it in her anymore (more's the pity)
Gail
I agree. Next year, she'll be 64 years old. If she didn't want to do it a few years ago at 60, there's no way in the world she'd get up there at 64. I'm fine with that. I saw Chris/Fleetwood Mac in their prime & honestly I don't need to see them at this late stage.

If you read Jeremy's comments in the Pre-Rumours forum, I doubt he'd be interested in anything like this either. He did mention that he hates the "hype". He sounds very happy & content with things just the way they are now.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I agree. Next year, she'll be 64 years old. If she didn't want to do it a few years ago at 60, there's no way in the world she'd get up there at 64. I'm fine with that. I saw Chris/Fleetwood Mac in their prime & honestly I don't need to see them at this late stage.

If you read Jeremy's comments in the Pre-Rumours forum, I doubt he'd be interested in anything like this either. He did mention that he hates the "hype". He sounds very happy & content with things just the way they are now.
I agree

I'm not sure that either Christine or Jeremy would consider doing any dates at all, for reasons stated already. Peter - maybe, if he could be persuaded that it wasn't going to escalate into a big thing which he'd have little control over.

Forget about any participation from Danny, and Dave Walker - I'm sure he'd have no interest whatsoever even if anyone else did. Bob Weston and Dave Mason - I can't see it. The others, well anything's possible with them.

One thing Christine and / or Jeremy might be interested in is some kind of Mac album with guest spots for previous members. Jeremy played on Mick's "Something Big" album on his own terms, so maybe he'd like to do something along those lines, and we know how much he enjoyed doing his own album.

Likewise, Christine might contribute something. I reckon most of the other members (barring Danny and Dave W) might consider that, totally separate from any touring that might follow.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
I agree
One thing Christine and / or Jeremy might be interested in is some kind of Mac album with guest spots for previous members. Jeremy played on Mick's "Something Big" album on his own terms, so maybe he'd like to do something along those lines, and we know how much he enjoyed doing his own album.

Likewise, Christine might contribute something. I reckon most of the other members (barring Danny and Dave W) might consider that, totally separate from any touring that might follow.
I definitely agree with that. I think both Chris & Jeremy made their solo albums purely for fun. I think Chris, especially still loves the recording process in the studio & it sounds like Jeremy does too.
Old 03-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh

Bob Welch or Peter Green might be persuaded though.

I'd travel a long way to see FM with Christine again but I don't think I need to start saving up!

Gail

WOW! That 10 year mark you mention just hit me.. TEN YEARS! That's huge!! and few by so fast!

For me it would be great to see the 5 back on stage together...but it doesn't look like that would happen if a tour was involved.... But there would be hope if shows in certain cities in certain countries the band travelled to, like say where Christine is, where she could just pop up on stage and jam on a few tunes... But that would only happen if this band was much more fluid and didn't need rehearsal and choreographed words and moves. And of course if she was willing. It's a nice thought and would be a great surprised announced or not.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Ledgie

The chances of Christine touring again with them are really small because didn't she just get married again? Also as everyone pointed out, she didn't want to tour for Say You Will and left early on the Dance. It would be something to see all the band members reunite for the anniversary tour and I hope they do. Do you think their egos can fit on one stage tho? Maybe some bad blood too. Interesting to think about.

"If you ever feel like you don't matter, let me tell you something. To me, you're the only thing in this whole world that matters." Stevie, US Festival, 1983
Old 03-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFans
The chances of Christine touring again with them are really small because didn't she just get married again?
She just got divorced from Eddy Quintela, hadn't heard about her getting remarried already, though.
Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
She just got divorced from Eddy Quintela, hadn't heard about her getting remarried already, though.
She said 2 years ago that she'd never marry again. I think two bad marriages were enough.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
We looked it up on Google and nope, she didn't remarry. Guess it was just the divorce. But for the original question, we found this. Sure everyone's seen it already or knows about (we're behind!) but it gives hope that she might consider something for the anniversary:

On September 26, 2003 there was a Christine sighting at The first-ever Capital Gold Legends Awards at London's Hilton London Metropole. Many stars, including our very own Songbird, came out in force for the gala dinner auction and awards ceremony. Fleetwood Mac won Legendary album and Christine McVie was there to pick up the award!

If anyone wants the link, it's http://www.fmlegacy.com/Bios/biochristine.html
Really good photos on it!
Edit. It really seems by this biography that CMV just wants to be a regular person. It says she hangs out at the local bars. Would Stevie or Lindsey ever do that? John probably would but he's just like Christine. Mick might too. But of the three singer/songwriters, she seems to want a normal, regular life. So if she did the tour, it might be out of boredom or just for some fun (of the drama kind).

"If you ever feel like you don't matter, let me tell you something. To me, you're the only thing in this whole world that matters." Stevie, US Festival, 1983

Last edited by MacFans; 03-29-2006 at 07:30 PM..
Old 03-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just went to Bekka's website, because while reading through this thread, I had question marks floating over my head. Like, who the hell is Bekka? Did I sleep through that incarnation? How did I even not know she existed? Anyway, she has a great voice, but I can't imagine why FM would have had her singing Gold Dust Woman. Weird! I mean, her version is different and it's not horrible, but that whole concept is so weird to me. Sorry to threadjack. My only thoughts regarding the original question here is that I think some people may not like it if say, Chris did play, but not at the city near them. It would be really hard for me to go to another city and I would be so bummed if she played with the band and I had to miss it! But then on the flip side, many people would probably go to several shows just to see the different incarnations of the band.

Oh, and P.S.- I simply cannot believe Christine is 64. Crazy!
Old 03-29-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
I just went to Bekka's website, because while reading through this thread, I had question marks floating over my head. Like, who the hell is Bekka? Did I sleep through that incarnation? How did I even not know she existed? Anyway, she has a great voice, but I can't imagine why FM would have had her singing Gold Dust Woman. Weird! I mean, her version is different and it's not horrible, but that whole concept is so weird to me.
Well, I didn't sleep through Bekka ........... & lemme tell ya, after suffering through boring, lackluster "Gold Dust Womans" from the composer herself in 1989 & 1990 (& even the latter part of the 1987 tour), I was ready for it to disappear entirely. So I was really pleased with the spooky, slinky GDW that the 1994 band played, with Mick on conga drum, Billy & Dave on acoustic guitar & Bekka doing a sort of slow burn on it.

It was refreshing from the point of view of listless GDWs before that. Rock is all about relativity.
Old 03-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

She's not 64 now. She's currently only 62. She'll be 64 in 2007.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I just went to Bekka's website, because while reading through this thread, I had question marks floating over my head. Like, who the hell is Bekka? Did I sleep through that incarnation? How did I even not know she existed? Anyway, she has a great voice, but I can't imagine why FM would have had her singing Gold Dust Woman. Weird! I mean, her version is different and it's not horrible, but that whole concept is so weird to me. Sorry to threadjack. My only thoughts regarding the original question here is that I think some people may not like it if say, Chris did play, but not at the city near them. It would be really hard for me to go to another city and I would be so bummed if she played with the band and I had to miss it! But then on the flip side, many people would probably go to several shows just to see the different incarnations of the band.

I know, I have nothing against Bekka or anything, she's got a fantastic voice. But it's too strange for me. I don't like anyone else singing LB's Mac songs either - it's almost like karaoke to me. That's why I was glad that they didn't bring anyone on the SYW tour to do Chris tunes (I had heard a rumour that people thought Sheryl Crow was coming on tour with them to "fill in" for Chris.) Of course, not everyone liked it that Stevie did 2 Chris tunes, so...

Strange that I have no issues with LB doing "Oh Well", though. I have no explanation for that. Sue me.