User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Out of the Cradle 30th Anniversay

Out of the Cradle--released in June 1992. Thirty years ago!
Happy 30th anniversay, OOTC.

At thirty years, it is probably Out of College and holding down a desk job, doing what it can and refusing to look down.

Hard to pick a favorite track out of such a first-rate collection, but which is yours?

Which ten tracks would you choose for your own shorter Cradle album?

Was this peak Lindsey? Or just one of his many turning points?

1. "Instrumental Introduction To:"
2. "Don't Look Down"
3. "Wrong"
4. "Countdown"
5. "All My Sorrows"
6. "Soul Drifter"
7. "Instrumental Introduction To"
8. "This Is the Time"
9. "You Do or You Don't"
10. "Street of Dreams"
11. "Spoken Introduction To"
12. "Surrender the Rain"
13. "Doing What I Can"
14. "Turn It On"
15. "This Nearly Was Mine"
16. "Say We'll Meet Again"
Old 07-30-2022, 01:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As I wrote a few posts ago, WHAT IF OOTC had been his first solo album? Would he have been a big solo star, rather than a SNL caricature?

And as always, Law And Order is one of my favorite all time albums. Love every note on it.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
As I wrote a few posts ago, WHAT IF OOTC had been his first solo album? Would he have been a big solo star, rather than a SNL caricature?

And as always, Law And Order is one of my favorite all time albums. Love every note on it.
What if he released it sooner or even later? I feel like 1992 was the absolute worst time to release such an album with an intention to reignite any interest in Lindsey/FM. They were just too far gone at that point. It just seems like either 1988 or 1995 would have seen it have more success. I think it’s a great album and had a lot of potential commercial appeal with some strong singles but Fleetwood Mac and all associated acts were at about the lowest of popularity at that point in time.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
What if he released it sooner or even later? I feel like 1992 was the absolute worst time to release such an album with an intention to reignite any interest in Lindsey/FM. They were just too far gone at that point. It just seems like either 1988 or 1995 would have seen it have more success. I think it’s a great album and had a lot of potential commercial appeal with some strong singles but Fleetwood Mac and all associated acts were at about the lowest of popularity at that point in time.
Good points. The early 90's are when I began listening to country. I didn't care for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or grunge in general. So you're right, it wasn't a good time for it's release.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Out of the Cradle is a fantastic album and has stood the test of time, still sounds fresh. Nearly every track is a stand out. There was a recent You_tuber- can't recall his name who chose Countdown as a lost potential hit single of the early 90's. Don't Look Down is still my fav, followed by Soul Drifter. With its timeless sound, it would've fit in perfectly around the time of the Dance, however, I believe the ship sailed long before that on his solo career and it would never have been the massive hit it deserved to be. Hard to believe, 30 years old though
Old 07-30-2022, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Good points. The early 90's are when I began listening to country. I didn't care for Pearl Jam, Nirvana, or grunge in general. So you're right, it wasn't a good time for it's release.
Fleetwood Mac in that post-Tango to pre-Dance time period is so weird. They were just so out of the mainstream. I was only 11 when OOTC was released so much of my knowledge is not exactly first hand from that time. But it’s not like all “legacy” acts were hated. The Stones had a massive resurgence with Steel Wheels in 1989, Petty was absolutely on fire releasing some of his most popular songs, Aerosmith was everywhere, I can never forget Cher in the fishnets on that battleship, a post-Waters Pink Floyd was touring all over the world to massive audiences…and then there’s Fleetwood Mac being about as uncool as possible.

OOTC just had no chance. If he released it sooner, closer to Tango and coming off that momentum, it would have sounded overly 80’s and not been nearly as timeless as it was. If it was released after The Dance there might have been some momentum and exposure but at that point it would have quickly faded into obscurity.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
There was a recent You_tuber- can't recall his name who chose Countdown as a lost potential hit single of the early 90's. Don't Look Down is still my fav, followed by Soul Drifter.
Wasn’t Countdown the second single released from the album? There was even a video for it.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I graduated from college in 1992 and had this cassette. I played this nonstop in the car. Soul Drifter spoke to me because when you graduate college you are sort of drifting, wanting to leave home and move on.
It just happened to be released in the peak of grunge music. It would have been a bigger hit if released in 1989 I believe.
Wrong is still my favorite video of all the solo work of the band. They played the hell out of it on MTV. I dont know why he does not play it live these past few tours. IMHO, it should have been his opener after he was fired.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Wasn’t Countdown the second single released from the album? There was even a video for it.
These were the singles, or so I read in Wikipedia:

"Countdown" Released: June 1992
"Wrong" Released: August 1992
"Soul Drifter" Released: November 1992
"Don't Look Down" Released: April 1993
Old 07-31-2022, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
These were the singles, or so I read in Wikipedia:

"Countdown" Released: June 1992
"Wrong" Released: August 1992
"Soul Drifter" Released: November 1992
"Don't Look Down" Released: April 1993

Wikipedia I think has it "Wrong." Later on this same wikipedia page says this.... This is cut and paste directly from the site which shows Wrong was the first single. Thats what I remember too.

Singles
Song US Hot 100 US Mainstream Rock Adult Contemporary Canada Top 100
"Wrong" – #23 – #50[12]
"Countdown" – #38 #32 #29[13]
"Soul Drifter" – – #38 #31[14]
"Don't Look Down" – – – #59[15]

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-31-2022 at 10:38 AM..
Old 08-01-2022, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think the fantastic You Do Or You Don't should have been a single, maybe instead of Don't Look Down, but Lindsey seems to love the latter. I wonder if he jettisoned You Do Or You Don't from his repertoire after he repurposed its bridge in Bleed To Love Her.

Bleed To Love Her is a bit too laconic (maybe Mick's behind-the-beat drumming doesn't help).
Don't Look Down a touch too frenetic.
You Do Or You Don't is in the sweet spot!
Old 08-03-2022, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Same here. This has always been my biggest "What if?" regarding his career.

As much as you love L&O, I found it disjointed and sorta like a collection of outtakes and random experiments. One review referred to him on that album as a something like a smirking brat, and one called him the 'enfant terrible' of the band. Probably not wrong. He was a bit of an incoherent d*ck on it, really. How he thought that would shake up the music biz in any way or make people appreciate his musical genius is still beyond me. Tusk, yes, L&O, no.

There's a maturity to OOTC that is severely lacking on L&O.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

As much as you love L&O, I found it disjointed and sorta like a collection of outtakes and random experiments. One review referred to him on that album as a something like a smirking brat, and one called him the 'enfant terrible' of the band. Probably not wrong. He was a bit of an incoherent d*ck on it, really. How he thought that would shake up the music biz in any way or make people appreciate his musical genius is still beyond me. Tusk, yes, L&O, no.

There's a maturity to OOTC that is severely lacking on L&O.
Tusk is disjointed. As I've said, at that point in my life they could really do no wrong. Tusk took a while to grow on me, but it finally did. If I could accept Tusk, L&O wasn't far behind it, in terms of being accepted.

And on every adjective you used above....none of them are incorrect. It's kind of amazing, the balls he had, to do all that. Especially if he thought the record buying public was going to be into all that weirdness. Wrong.

I guess the sales of Rumours gave him balls. But they were glass balls. He was wrong. The public wasn't going to buy WEIRD. And was left with being a caricature on SNL. I still cringe every time I see the Go Insane album cover.

And yet I still feel love every time(although it's a more private love, lol) I hear L&O. My high school heart races, hearing those songs, and singing along.

Welllll, it'sssssss a long long time, from May to September.......
Old 08-03-2022, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Or what if Lindsey never joined the band to record Tango. OOTC would have been released in ~1987 and maybe had included Big Love, TITN, etc.
Old 08-03-2022, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It would have been better received had it been released in 88-89. A lot of it is interchangeable with his TITN songs, so it still felt pretty ‘80s. Musical sensibilities had moved on by that point. “This is the Time” is the only song that might have connected had it been released sooner. Otherwise, it felt a little too coffee house rock.

For me, OOTC exposes Lindsey’s limitations as an artist and how much his music benefited from having Mick and John playing behind him.

THE Stephen Hopkins