Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-19-2022, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brett Tuggle has died

I just read about it. So sad. He was such a nice guy.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just saw it too on the We stand with Lindsey Buckingham FB group I am in. Sad news.

Old 06-19-2022, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Rick Springfield put it out on his official Twitter as well.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Rick Springfield put it out on his official Twitter as well.
He always seemed like such a genuinely nice guy. Have you seen a cause? Covid?
Old 06-20-2022, 12:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
He always seemed like such a genuinely nice guy. Have you seen a cause? Covid?
Nope, nothing so far. I was thinking maybe cancer... because he looked terribly frail when I saw him with LB on tv... I was trying to remember where that was... I think it was Colbert, but the video comes up as removed.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I saw mention on Facebook of brain cancer.

Selfishly I'm glad Brett's final days of touring were with Lindsey, but I can't shake my sense of anger at Stevie for denying him the opportunity of going out on a bigger-scale FM tour.

Thank you, Brett, for your comradery and loyalty to Lindsey, and for being engaging with the fans--including a Ledge Q&A back in 2004.
It's sad to think that he had more years in him, but I think Brett did live life to the full.
Old 06-20-2022, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
I saw mention on Facebook of brain cancer.

Selfishly I'm glad Brett's final days of touring were with Lindsey, but I can't shake my sense of anger at Stevie for denying him the opportunity of going out on a bigger-scale FM tour.

Thank you, Brett, for your comradery and loyalty to Lindsey, and for being engaging with the fans--including a Ledge Q&A back in 2004.
It's sad to think that he had more years in him, but I think Brett did live life to the full.
Wow, this all seemed relatively fast, so I....don't even know what I was assuming. I don't know why I was thinking Covid, other than they'd cancelled shows due to it.

Do you think Stevie will ever regret her decisions, or what she's become? I think we all know the answer to that(where's her closest mirror or yes girl?).

I too appreciated his loyalty to Lindsey. A sideman's pay is probably nearly the same, regardless of venue size, so he went with his heart. RIP, Brett.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, this all seemed relatively fast, so I....don't even know what I was assuming. I don't know why I was thinking Covid, other than they'd cancelled shows due to it.

Do you think Stevie will ever regret her decisions, or what she's become? I think we all know the answer to that(where's her closest mirror or yes girl?).

I too appreciated his loyalty to Lindsey. A sideman's pay is probably nearly the same, regardless of venue size, so he went with his heart. RIP, Brett.
May God bless Brett's soul and his family.

I am sure Lindsey is in touch with Brett's family.

I hope Mick, Stevie, and Christine make a post on their social media about Brett. Brett did tour with Stevie for six of her tours.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I don’t know about Stevie regretting her decisions but, usually when something like this (losing family, a colleague, friend etc…) happens, it does make you think. It pulls you up sharp.
And this news will do that to Stevie.
Hopefully she will see this is the time to hold out the olive branch…..before it’s too late.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I hope Mick, Stevie, and Christine make a post on their social media about Brett. Brett did tour with Stevie for six of her tours.
Her niece posted a pic of Brett with the caption “love you” and a dove emoji, which I thought was sweet.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:

This article states it could be heart related. It also states Stevie wrote him letters in the hospital.
https://showbizcorner.com/brett-tugg...h-tribute-post
Old 06-20-2022, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
This article states it could be heart related. It also states Stevie wrote him letters in the hospital.
https://showbizcorner.com/brett-tugg...h-tribute-post
that's a trash article cobbled together by a bot. heart attack / surgery and Nicks messages are about Lindsey, not Brett.

Brett had cancer. he got to do what he loved almost till the last moment, playing the fall leg of LB's tour in 2021, going through rehearsals with LB and the band in the spring of 2022, but had to be hospitalized right before the opening night show. there is a nice 2022 spring rehearsal wrap-up pic of the whole band and crew with Brett and some other crew members who also couldn't be on the tour this spring because of health issues shared on social media. (i won't share here because it's on private accounts.) also fans and peer musicians sharing tons of nice pics over the years all over social media.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-20-2022, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nooooooooooooooo
Such a shock to hear this. So sad.
I hope the whole Fleetwood Mac community come together for his funeral- he deserves that.
A number of places suggesting he lost a battle with cancer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...mac-band-dead/

The Sun:
MUSIC MASTER Brett Tuggle dead at 70 – Keyboardist for Fleetwood Mac and David Lee Roth Band passes away after cancer battle

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-20-2022, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just terribly sad news. A very big part of the Fleetwood Mac world. I loved his article a few years back where he talked about his career. I didn't realize all the people he had worked for. Prayers for his family

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 06-20-2022, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...-dead-1370965/

JUNE 20, 2022 1:00PM ET
Brett Tuggle, Fleetwood Mac and David Lee Roth Band Keyboardist, Dead at 70

He spent 20 years on the road with Fleetwood Mac, and also co-wrote the 1988 David Lee Roth hit “Just Like Paradise”

By ANDY GREENE

Brett Tuggle performs onstage during the 'Music Strong' benefit concert at Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza on February 10, 2019 in Thousand Oaks, California.Brett Tuggle performs onstage during the 'Music Strong' benefit concert at Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza on February 10, 2019 in Thousand Oaks, California.
Brett Tuggle performs onstage during the 'Music Strong' benefit concert at Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza on February 10, 2019 in Thousand Oaks, California.

Scott Dudelson/Getty Images

Brett Tuggle, a journeyman keyboardist who logged two decades in Fleetwood Mac during their reunion era and also served as a founding member of the David Lee Roth Band in the Eighties, died June 19 from complications related to cancer. He was 70.

Tuggle’s son Matt confirmed his death to Rolling Stone. “He was loved by his family so much,” Matt says. “His family was with him throughout the entire time of his illness. He was a lovely father. He gave me music in my life.”

Over the course of his long career, Tuggle also played with Jimmy Page, Rick Springfield, David Coverdale, John Kay and Steppenwolf, Styx’s Tommy Shaw, and Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels. During his tenure with David Lee Roth, he co-wrote the 1988 hit “Just Like Paradise.”

RELATED STORIES
Christine McVie On Her New Solo Collection 'Songbird,' Uncertain Future of Fleetwood Mac
Lindsey Buckingham Postpones European Tour as He Recovers From Covid

“Our sweet Brett Tuggle made it home tonight,” Rick Springfield wrote on Twitter. “God bless his beautiful spirit.”

Tuggle entered the world of Fleetwood Mac in 1992 when he landed a gig with Mick Fleetwood’s side project the Zoo and remained in the band’s orbit through Lindsey Buckingham’s solo tour late last year. He played keyboards on every Fleetwood Mac tour from 1997 to 2017, and also gigged extensively with Stevie Nicks, Buckingham, and Buckingham McVie.

“This guy is just a master,” Buckingham said of Tuggle while introducing his band at Washington DC’s Warner Theater on September 14, 2021. “He is a superb keyboardist, bassist, guitarist, singer. And he also brings so much clarity and integrity. There’s no way in the world we could do this [show] without him. We’ve never been able to do it without him, nor could we in the future. We love him to death.”

Tuggle grew up in Denver, Colorado and loved rock music from a very young age. “Like everyone else in the country, we got sucked in by the surf scene,” he told Rolling Stone in 2020 when he was featured in our Unknown Legends interview series. “The Beach Boys were a huge influence in junior high. I got sucked into the harmony thing with them. And like everybody else, pretty much, I saw the Beatles on TV and things were never the same.”

Inspired by Steve Winwood’s work in the Spencer Davis Group, Tuggle began playing keyboards as a teenager. He landed his first professional gig in 1970 when he was hired by Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels for a tour and to work on their LP Detroit. He only stayed in the band for a year and a half, struggling to find steady work in subsequent years. But in 1981, he was recruited by John Kay and Steppenwolf to play keyboards on their world tour. In 1982, he teamed up with Springfield right after “Jessie’s Girl” broke.

“I’ll never forget walking out onto the stage at this auditorium in Sacramento [for our first show],” Tuggle told Rolling Stone. “The noise was like a jet engine. It was unbelievable. It was kind of scary, it was so loud. It was such hysteria. I’d look down at the audience and these little girls were going ape over this guy, just completely losing it.”

Tuggle spent three years on the road with Springfield, and later toured briefly with Tommy Shaw and Belinda Carlisle. In 1986, David Lee Roth hired him to play on his Eat ‘Em And Smile tour — his first trek since leaving Van Halen — alongside guitarist Steve Vai, bassist Billy Sheehan, and drummer Gregg Bissonette. “There was a lot of bad blood in the press between the two camps and it got very heated,” Tuggle recalled. “We had security guards when we went places.”

When the tour ended, Tuggle sat down at his home keyboard and came up with the music that Roth eventually fleshed out into his 1988 hit “Just Like Paradise.” It peaked at Number Six on the Hot 100. The only time Roth had a more successful solo single came in 1985 with his cover of “California Girls.”

Tuggle continued to play with Roth through 1994, though he did take a break in 1993 to accompany David Coverdale and Jimmy Page on their Japanese tour that year. Shortly before that, he cut an album with Mick Fleetwood’s side project the Zoo. And when the Rumours lineup of Fleetwood Mac reformed in 1997, he was asked to be a part of their world tour. He divided up the keyboard work with Christine McVie. “Basically, we shared them because Christine had to sing,” he told Rolling Stone. “She’d play her main keyboard part on either the piano or the organ. I did all the colors and synthesizers and other stuff. There were so many parts on things, so it was really easy.”

His role grew when McVie left the band following the tour, and he also started joining Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham on their solo outings. That arrangement, however, inevitably led to some scheduling conflicts. “It came to a point where Stevie said, ‘You’re going to have to decide,'” Tuggle recalled. “I said, ‘You know, Stevie, I love playing with you. I support you. But Lindsey doesn’t have a band.’ She said, ‘I know he needs good people.’ She seemed to be OK with it when I went off to do Lindsey’s thing. But think in the end, she looked at me a little as abandoning her and going over to Lindsey’s camp.”

Buckingham kept Tuggle busy over the last 15 years with both solo work and the Buckingham McVie offshoot band. But when Fleetwood Mac parted ways with Buckingham in 2018, Tuggle didn’t last longer than a single rehearsal with the new lineup in Hawaii.

“I was really shocked when I got the call that they weren’t going to use me,” Tuggle told Rolling Stone. “I also realized that I was in the middle of the politics of Lindsey and Stevie and this band and there was nothing I was going to be able to do about it. I had become Lindsey’s guy and that was it and I had to accept it. There was nothing else I could do.”

Tuggle toured with Buckingham in 2021, but was absent when the tour started back up in April. “I do want to mention the gentleman who is noticeably absent from the stage tonight,” Buckingham told the crowd at the tour opener in San Francisco on April 5. “Mr. Brett Tuggle is having a little bit of an health problem. Hopefully he’ll be back for the next show, whatever it takes. We missed him tonight.”

In This Article: David Lee Roth, Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"