User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’m surprised at how often What’s the World Coming To was mentioned here. I actually like the song, in fact that and Peacekeeper are my two favorite Lindsey songs on Say You Will. I feel the same way about That’s All For Everyone, from Tusk.

I’d love to hear why people dislike WTWCT and TAFE.
I LOVE WTWCT. And Peacekeeper is good, if someone would have shot that damned bird before they hit record. The bird is Cheese City.

I hate SYW as a whole, but like about 7-8 songs.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I never can understand that either but then the entire SYW debate will come up. I just realize I am in the minority that likes SYW and almost every song. I think WTWCT is a fantastic opener for the album. Lindsey's songs on SYW are better than his songs on Mirage and Tango.
I like the song so I cant answer your question. But then again most people here hate SYW. Its the most intricate musical album from the Mac in a very very long time yet never gets appreciated. Its too long, its too cold, its not commercial. All the same descriptions of Tusk. I think they want Big Love all the time.
Say You Will is my least favorite FM album, but there are 5 or 6 songs I do like. Thrown Down, Peacekeeper, Say You Will, and What’s the World Coming To are my favorites. Like you, I think WTWCT is a great opener.
Old 06-30-2022, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I’m surprised at how often What’s the World Coming To was mentioned here. I actually like the song, in fact that and Peacekeeper are my two favorite Lindsey songs on Say You Will. I feel the same way about That’s All For Everyone, from Tusk.

I’d love to hear why people dislike WTWCT and TAFE.
"That's All For Everyone" is one of my absolute favorite FM songs. What a brilliant sound collage. Had all (or at least more) of Tusk been like that, it would be my favorite FM album hands down AND I would better understand Lindsey acting like it is such a departure (I think he exaggerates the extent to which it is).

As for "What's The World Coming To," the music is alright but the lyrics aren't so hot – particularly the chorus "everyone's gone to the moon" (and, yes, I would say that to Bob Dylan).

My favorite song on Say You Will is "Steal Your Heart Away."

Last edited by cbBen; 06-30-2022 at 04:05 PM..
Old 06-30-2022, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
"That's All For Everyone" is one of my absolute favorite FM songs. What a brilliant sound collage. Had all (or at least more) of Tusk been like that, it would be my favorite FM album hands down AND I would better understand Lindsey acting like it is such a departure (I think he exaggerates the extent to which it is).

As for "What's The World Coming To," the music is alright but the lyrics aren't so hot – particularly the chorus "everyone's gone to the moon" (and, yes, I would say that to Bob Dylan).

My favorite song on Say You Will is "Steal Your Heart Away."
“Steal Your Heart” is such a good song! Charming, direct, and warm. I say the same thing about Kirwan’s “Sometimes.” Two moderate tempo strummers.

“That’s All” has impressive production. I almost never listen to it, but I don’t know why.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I LOVE WTWCT. And Peacekeeper is good, if someone would have shot that damned bird before they hit record. The bird is Cheese City.

I hate SYW as a whole, but like about 7-8 songs.
My SYW picks:

Illume
Throw Down
Red Rover
Miranda
Say Goodbye
Steal Your Heart Away
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules

I prefer The Dance version of “Bleed”

Murrow is okay

The rest is dull.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My SYW picks:

Illume
Throw Down
Red Rover
Miranda
Say Goodbye
Steal Your Heart Away
Everybody Finds Out
Destiny Rules

I prefer The Dance version of “Bleed”

Murrow is okay

The rest is dull.
Mine -
WTWCT
Thrown Down
Miranda
SYW(if we can remove the children from the end)
Steal Your Heart Away
Bleed to Love Her
EFO
Old 06-30-2022, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I never can understand that either but then the entire SYW debate will come up. I just realize I am in the minority that likes SYW and almost every song. I think WTWCT is a fantastic opener for the album. Lindsey's songs on SYW are better than his songs on Mirage and Tango.
I like the song so I cant answer your question. But then again most people here hate SYW. Its the most intricate musical album from the Mac in a very very long time yet never gets appreciated. Its too long, its too cold, its not commercial. All the same descriptions of Tusk. I think they want Big Love all the time.
Lindsey's songs on SYW are amazing and imho some of his best ever (interspersed with few sad dude such as dreaded WTWCT). because Lindsey's songs on SYW are so fantastic (although would have been way better and more cohesive as that solo album that never was), SYW is up there for me of the FM albums.

let's see:

1. "What's the World Coming To?" horrible
2. "Murrow Turning Over in His Grave" fantastic
3. "Illume (9-11)" droning bore
4. "Thrown Down" cheesy little pop
5. "Miranda" ok
6. "Red Rover" amazing
7. "Say You Will" cheesy little pop but love that guitar
8. "Peacekeeper" love it
9. "Come" fantastic
10. "Smile at You" ruined, angry original was fantastic
11. "Running Through the Garden" droning horribleness
12. "Silver Girl" not worth the name "song"
13. "Steal Your Heart Away" gorgeous
14. "Bleed to Love Her" gorgeous
15. "Everybody Finds Out" ok, could have been way better
16. "Destiny Rules" love the guitar parts, just amazing
17. "Say Goodbye" cheesy schmaltz
18. "Goodbye Baby" pretty

Deluxe edition bonus disc
1. "Love Minus Zero/No Limit" FANTASTIC cover
2. "Not Make Believe" horrible unlistenable droning

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-30-2022, 09:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey's songs on SYW are amazing and imho some of his best ever (interspersed with few sad dude such as dreaded WTWCT). because Lindsey's songs on SYW are so fantastic (although would have been way better and more cohesive as that solo album that never was), SYW is up there for me of the FM albums.

let's see:

5. "Miranda" ok
6. "Red Rover" amazing
8. "Peacekeeper" love it
9. "Come" fantastic

I find Say You Will to be very underrated. Lindsey brings in some of my all-time favorites with "Murrow" and "Red Rover", with "Bleed to Love Her", "Peacekeeper", "Come", and "Steal Your Heart Away" also ranking high. The one Buckingham song on the album I can't completely get behind is "Say Goodbye", but even that one is tolerable.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

let's see:

5. "Miranda" ok
6. "Red Rover" amazing
8. "Peacekeeper" love it
9. "Come" fantastic

Glad you dig Red Rover. Shocked you don’t love Say Goodbye, which is, to my way of thinking, on of LB’s loveliest songs.
Old 12-17-2022, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Glad you dig Red Rover. Shocked you don’t love Say Goodbye, which is, to my way of thinking, on of LB’s loveliest songs.
But the studio version is sped up and ruined (with Stevie's vocal not at all integrated), as evidenced by the far superior live Soundstage version.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

- Family Man. The flamenco guitar is great, but I don't feel the song fits well on the album so I have a bit of a grudge against it.

- Red Rover. The whole intro just screams tweaker energy to me. I especially hate the way he whispersings "You know it just brings you down." I actually love the part where the other guitars come in at :39 through all the way up to the chorus, and again at 2:27. But once the chorus comes in? It's uninspired and boring to my ears and makes me lose interest in the rest of the song. Basically, I would genuinely love this song if someone surgically removed the choruses.

- Steal Your Heart Away. Why must the chorus plod along so? Why is Christine featured only on my least-favourite Lindsey songs from Say You Will?

- Bleed to Love Her. Another plodder of an adult contemporary song. Not awful by any means, but these two songs are two hits of Klonopin in the middle of an otherwise rocking album.

- Eyes of the World. On another thread I said Empire State was my least-favourite song on Mirage. After listening to Mirage a few more times after posting that, it's actually Eyes of the World. I don't have any real reason as to why I'm not a fan of this song aside from thinking the chorus is a snoozefest again.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."

Last edited by Moz; 12-17-2022 at 07:22 PM..
Old 12-18-2022, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moz View Post
Eyes of the World. On another thread I said Empire State was my least-favourite song on Mirage. After listening to Mirage a few more times after posting that, it's actually Eyes of the World. I don't have any real reason as to why I'm not a fan of this song aside from thinking the chorus is a snoozefest again.
The live '82 version, with the three of them singing that wordless part as a chorus (not on the record), is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE2E6R7BRA
Old 12-18-2022, 03:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
The live '82 version, with the three of them singing that wordless part as a chorus (not on the record), is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE2E6R7BRA
THREE of them? Isn't the intro and breakdown all Lindsey and Christine(Stevie could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS sing the part that Chris is singing!)?
Stevie sings on the chorus, and shakes her tatas at the end, but BuckVie owns this song(tatas aside).
Old 12-18-2022, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
THREE of them? Isn't the intro and breakdown all Lindsey and Christine(Stevie could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS sing the part that Chris is singing!)?
Stevie sings on the chorus, and shakes her tatas at the end, but BuckVie owns this song(tatas aside).
Definitely just Christine and Lindsey. The whole song live is great, but that intro really sets it up beautifully. And Lindsey does a good job of shaking his tatas too, around the 1:10 mark or so LOL!
Old 12-18-2022, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie could NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS sing the part that Chris is singing!
There would certainly be a lot more "Well"s thrown in.