User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I'm pleasantly surprised how little electric guitar the new album has. I hear just 3-4 songs with it. Does "Power Down" have it? "Dancing" "On The Wrong Side" and "Swan Song" do. And I hear just two songs with electric guitar solos (the latter two).

In fact, there is arguably just one other song with a guitar solo at all: "Blind Love," which contains a repeated acoustic figure over which Lindsey does some wordless singing (arguably a solo, arguably not).

I'm stunned he didn't release "Santa Rosa" as the lead single. To my ear, it's a classic and far and away the best song on the album – second best being "Dancing," which I also enjoyed in its previous incarnation "Treason."

I'll also say I find wholly unlistenable "Scream" – with its bell sound so tortuous it warrants a firing squad.
After further listening:

1. "Blind Love" has not just one but two acoustic guitar solos (including the one at the end).

2. There is electric guitar on "Power Down" (note the end where the electric guitar goes away and one is left hearing just the acoustic). There is no guitar solo, however. Albeit relatively briefly (thankfully), it does have three instances of an annoying bell sound (different from the one that permeates "Scream") that sounds like someone has won at the slot machine.

3. The above means there are just four songs with electric guitar: "On The Wrong Side" "Swan Song" "Power Down" and "Dancing." Of these four, just two have electric guitar solos: "On The Wrong Side" and "Swan Song."

4. The above also means there are just three songs with guitar solos (amazing for a Lindsey Buckingham album): "On The Wrong Side" (electric), "Swan Song" (electric), and "Blind Love" (acoustic).

Last edited by cbBen; 02-11-2023 at 10:41 AM..
Old 02-11-2023, 01:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

I personally have no problem with the bell sound on Scream. It's the one unique aspect that elevates the song beyond mediocrity.

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 02-11-2023 at 11:20 PM..
Old 02-11-2023, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I personally have no problem with the bell sound on Scream. It's the one unique aspect of the song that elevates it beyond mediocrity.
I hate that damned bird on Peacekeeper.

But love the squawk on Hold Me.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

We can all agree that the bird squawk on Hold Me is incredible. Lindsey's squawks on Peacekeeper don't really irk me, although he has used wordless vocals to a greater effect on songs like Second Hand News and Eyes of the World.

In regards to the eponymous release, I question the decision to include the wordless vocals on Santa Rosa's final verse when a guitar solo would have easily sufficed.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Ummm someone fill me in on the Hold Me "bird squawk" please? Is that that effect after the chorus that goes, "Hold me, hold me, hold...(sqawk!) meeeee??" I always thought it was some crazy effect on the guitar and sure it's Lindsey's doing. And it's one of the reasons why it's my favorite FM song.
Old 02-25-2023, 12:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
If he substituted "Blind Love" for "Hunger and "Dancing" for "Ride This Road", and I would have enjoyed the album even more. Apparently his record label wanted new material on the Anthology album, so he selected "Hunger" and "Ride This Road" to fulfill that requirement. Given the album's relatively short run-time, I'm curious if the two aforementioned songs were originally intended for his eponymous release.
No I'm pretty sure Hunger was one of those 8 or so songs Lindsey worked on back in 2012 for the supposed forthcoming Mac album, which becamse the EP. As we know, Sad Angel, It Takes Time, and Miss Fantasy were what were chosen for that. Ride This Road also dates back to that year but was probably a song Lindsey was working on for his solo career. They both state they were recorded in 2012 in the Solo Anthology liner notes.

The other songs from that time were In My World, Red Sun, Too Far Gone, Lay Down for Free, and On with the Show. Red Sun and Too Far Gone were only instrumental bits at that time, and Chris helped flesh those two out and ended up singing lead on them.

Sleeping Around the Corner was an extra track from Seeds We Sow. Love Is Here to Stay I think was a new one for the BuckVie album when they decided it would end up just being a duo affair.

Blind Love is one of my favorites on the new album along with On the Wrong Side and Power Down.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
Ummm someone fill me in on the Hold Me "bird squawk" please? Is that that effect after the chorus that goes, "Hold me, hold me, hold...(sqawk!) meeeee??" I always thought it was some crazy effect on the guitar and sure it's Lindsey's doing. And it's one of the reasons why it's my favorite FM song.
Yes, the "Hold Me" squawk we are referring to appears during the chorus. The exact source of the squawk is unknown, but I'm almost positive it's simply a guitar effect.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders8323 View Post
No I'm pretty sure Hunger was one of those 8 or so songs Lindsey worked on back in 2012 for the supposed forthcoming Mac album, which becamse the EP. As we know, Sad Angel, It Takes Time, and Miss Fantasy were what were chosen for that. Ride This Road also dates back to that year but was probably a song Lindsey was working on for his solo career. They both state they were recorded in 2012 in the Solo Anthology liner notes.

The other songs from that time were In My World, Red Sun, Too Far Gone, Lay Down for Free, and On with the Show. Red Sun and Too Far Gone were only instrumental bits at that time, and Chris helped flesh those two out and ended up singing lead on them.

Sleeping Around the Corner was an extra track from Seeds We Sow. Love Is Here to Stay I think was a new one for the BuckVie album when they decided it would end up just being a duo affair.
Yes, the seven songs recorded in 2012 were Hunger, In My World, Is it Right, Lay Down For Free, Miss Fantasy, On With the Show, and Sad Angel. With the exception of Is it Right, all of these songs have been released in some form. Two appeared on Extended Play (Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy), three of them appeared on Buckingham/McVie (In My World, Lay Down For Free, and On With the Show), and Hunger appeared on Solo Anthology

Seeing that I don't have the physical copy of Solo Anthology, I was unaware that Ride This Road was written in 2012, so thank you for that information. But it's still possible that both Hunger and Ride This Road were considered for the eponymous before the decision was made to release the anthology