User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
There would certainly be a lot more "Well"s thrown in.
And yeahs. She always adds that to ensure she gets the last word on everything.
Old 12-18-2022, 01:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Wading through the quickly getting tiresome Stevie hate, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Least favorite LB songs in Fleetwood Mac:

'Family Man' - nice flamenco guitar work can't save a sinker with a crummy chorus and the sense that it was written in 2 minutes on a napkin. A shame since Lindsey's Tango songs are otherwise uniformly strong.
'Oh Diane' - I kinda get the '50s rock vibe, but it's so wasted on this lazy excuse for a song.
'Empire State' - When even the guitars are annoying, that's a bad sign. Another crummy chorus.
'Come' - the quieter verses are all right, but once he launches into it, it's a headache I beg to go away.

That's it. I genuinely like the rest of his FM songs, including all 9 tracks of his on Tusk, which, while I get the problems people have with some of those songs, I find them fascinating and often delightful as all hell. And oh, 'Make Me A Mask' is just severely underrated.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."
Old 12-18-2022, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I forgot about "Come." It's unlistenable to me. When it gets to the loud part my ears threaten to go on strike.

"Not That Funny" is hard to pass on as my least favorite, but I'd have to go with "Come" instead.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-18-2022 at 03:29 PM..
Old 12-18-2022, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m probably the only person in the world who feels this way, and I’m embarrassed to say it, but Never Going Back Again is my least favorite Lindsey song. No idea why. From an objective musical standpoint I can tell that it’s an excellent song. But some deep visceral part of my brain just can’t stand hearing it.

Anyway, I think a lot of you in this thread will just love this beautiful masterpiece of a Spotify playlist I made a while back: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Z...45pgbeQU9wRGcb
Old 12-18-2022, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I certainly hate the way he overdramatizes and whisper-sings it live.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
I’m probably the only person in the world who feels this way, and I’m embarrassed to say it, but Never Going Back Again is my least favorite Lindsey song. No idea why. From an objective musical standpoint I can tell that it’s an excellent song. But some deep visceral part of my brain just can’t stand hearing it.

Anyway, I think a lot of you in this thread will just love this beautiful masterpiece of a Spotify playlist I made a while back: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/4Z...45pgbeQU9wRGcb
Lord that’s a lot of Not That Funny!! I don’t HATE the song per se but I don’t think it was worthy of 10-15 minutes of time in a set or on a live album. But I’d also say the same thing about World Turning which by the time Rick and Billy were in the band was extending beyond 20 minutes. It’s just too damn much. And I did see people running for beer and bathroom breaks in 2013 and a friend in the audience text me something like “ugh this song is NOT THAT GOOD!”
Old 12-21-2022, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Come
2. Loving Cup
3. Play In The Rain
4. Not That Funny
5. I Want You

I had forgotten how much, outside of the title track and "Slow Dancing," I dislike the Go Insane album.

Last edited by cbBen; 12-21-2022 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-21-2022, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
1. Come
2. Loving Cup
3. Play In The Rain
4. Not That Funny
5. I Want You

dishonorable mention: Johnny Stew

I had forgotten how much, outside of the title track and "Slow Dancing," I dislike the Go Insane album.
Johnny Stew is one of my favorite songs of his. A decade ago I was having FM pool party weekends, with several former ledgies. Of course they were goat centric, but I turned them onto Johnny Stew, and they loved it! Seriously. All the grunts and stuff in the middle. We'd play it over and over(no pun intended). STEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!!!
Old 12-21-2022, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I just re-listened and can see it. I'll remove it above.
Old 12-21-2022, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But the studio version is sped up and ruined (with Stevie's vocal not at all integrated), as evidenced by the far superior live Soundstage version.
Whatever I’m hearing on the album version is working for me. Love it.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
1. Caroline - If I listened to this song 10 times in a row, I would be in a mental institution. Nothing about it is Fleetwood Mac. Its all programmed bass and percussion. The odd chanting in the end is bad too. Give me Family Man any day over this
Yes, I think this would be the only song on my list.
(Apologies to sodascouts, who is a fan.)

Family Man is outstanding; I don't get the widespread disdain at all.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Family Man is outstanding; I don't get the widespread disdain at all.
Iamwhatiamwhatiamwhatiam… a family man!

Mother
Father
Brother

Even worse than Stevie wailing whassa matter baby… baby… BABY!

These two songs automatically drop the album 2 stars from most critics. I really doubt anyone from Fleetwood Mac but Lindsey actually played on Family Man.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, just giving an honest answer about why some folks hate the song so much.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Iamwhatiamwhatiamwhatiam… a family man!

Mother
Father
Brother

Even worse than Stevie wailing whassa matter baby… baby… BABY!

These two songs automatically drop the album 2 stars from most critics. I really doubt anyone from Fleetwood Mac but Lindsey actually played on Family Man.

I’m not trying to be a jerk, just giving an honest answer about why some folks hate the song so much.
I love everything about Family Man except the lyrics. It’s like he came up with this really great instrumental and then had 2 minutes to throw some random words on top of it.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The live '82 version, with the three of them singing that wordless part as a chorus (not on the record), is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE2E6R7BRA
So much better than the studio version! Thanks for sharing. I haven't watched that video in years.

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 12-23-2022, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I really doubt anyone from Fleetwood Mac but Lindsey actually played on Family Man.
Yes I think of it basically as one of his solo songs as well.

I can see how the repeated lyrics could be annoying.
I guess I like the breathy, percussive and hyper-engineered way he sings them, in such a way that it's more like an instrument than talking. Doesn't bear comparison with Stevie's phoned-in aural nightmares in WISYA.

Just reminded myself that You & I Pt II is not a fave of mine. Add it to the list. Too Copacobana for me and not the right closer for he album it turned into. I can see how it would have worked on the solo album he would have otherwise put out.