Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Counting Calories Works

I was reading in O magazine that the people who are most successful at losing weight and keeping it off are those that document every morsel they consume. That's right, I hate it too, but that seems to be a fact. So how many of you are counting and how are you doing? I haven't been doing much since I've gotten back from Africa but I really want to step it up and lose about 10 more lbs. That would be pretty cool.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze
I was reading in O magazine that the people who are most successful at losing weight and keeping it off are those that document every morsel they consume. That's right, I hate it too, but that seems to be a fact. So how many of you are counting and how are you doing? I haven't been doing much since I've gotten back from Africa but I really want to step it up and lose about 10 more lbs. That would be pretty cool.
dude...I've been doing that since beginning of June...I'm trying to stay around 1200 calories per day and as little fat and sugar as possible. I have a little pad that I keep with me to make sure I write it all down and I've seriously done a good job staying at or under 1200/day. I am walking at least 30 mins 4 times a week...I've lost about 10 pounds, but haven't lost any in 2 weeks...so I don't know if I need to step up my exercise or what? I'm really at a loss right now to know what to do
Old 07-18-2006, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!
Wink

Oh, I thought you might have read that in this month's "Der".

No, I've definitely forgotten that until the past 5 mo. or something, and it has been helping me.
It seems like a simple concept, but it's one of those things that is good to be reminded of. I've been counting pretty regularly. I didn't on my mini vacay, and a week after or so. It is still a struggle to keep under the amount I'd like to, but it helps that I am reminded of my total every time I eat something, and also helps me plan meals.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 07-18-2006 at 02:48 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Oh, I thought you might have read that in this month's "Der".

No, I've definitely forgotten that until the past 5 mo. or something, and it has been helping me.
It seems like a simple concept, but it's one of those things that is good to be reminded of. I've been counting pretty regularly. I didn't on my mini vacay, and a week after or so. It is still a struggle to keep under what I'd like to, but it helps that I am reminded of my total every time I eat something, and also helps me plan meals.
I really need to sit down with your brain and get all your good tips (can you pencil me in?). in fact, I need to find that awesome thread where you were going over all this stuff. do you know of a site that tells you how many calories/fat/etc. you should have each day? I'm wondering if 1200 is too low...the last thing I need is my body thinking I'm starving and start STORING fat...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All a calorie means is how much heat it takes to burn up whatever it is you are eating. So, yes, it is important to count calories from that point of view. But, food combiunations and what time of day you eat the food type also is important.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
I really need to sit down with your brain and get all your good tips (can you pencil me in?). in fact, I need to find that awesome thread where you were going over all this stuff. do you know of a site that tells you how many calories/fat/etc. you should have each day? I'm wondering if 1200 is too low...the last thing I need is my body thinking I'm starving and start STORING fat...
Strand has a good tip, above. Ie, you should eat often and certain foods. He's lost, like, 80 or something, right Strand? But, of course, it's like Neiztche says ( ) you have to work through the hardship to get the great results.
There are sites like that, I don't have them with me. One did it by you telling how many minutes/hours you did certain activities per day, they calculated, and told you - and made calorie consumption suggestions. Cause you have to burn more than you eat! BUt I just typed "calorie calculation" or something, into google, and found it right quick.
I wouldn't think 1200 is too low - but I don't know your muscle mass. I would think 1200 is fine. Or, around 1200. If you have more muscle mass, you might want to up it a little. Depending on how active you are, of course.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Nov. of last year to like around April - May of this year - I lost about 80 pounds. I went from a 38-40 waist to about a 32 now. I did it by adhereing to a very strict regime that changed the way I ate. Foods I ate/eat in the morning include:

Kashi "Go Lean" cereal at about 5:30 a.m.

a Protein Shake (ISS Advantage Matrix works for me) at around 10:00 a.m.

two chicken breasts (grilled or baked) with a box of frozen brocolli, asparagus, green beans, or brussels sprouts for lunch

another protein shake at around 4:30

THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 6:00 to 8:00

Eggbeaters (42 g's of protein) for dinner

Of course I splurge. Like I had fried chicken with fries and fat backed collards Sunday night. You gotta live or your body will hate you. The point is to tune your body up so that when you do splurge, your metabolism is high enough to burn the spluge.

/jp

Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Other foods I will eat include the frozen lasagne's and frozen mexican entrees in the health food section of the store. I cannot remember the brand names now, but they are not with the reg. frozen dinners.

Also, pulled pork with no sauce or, on occasion, steak, can be substituted for the chicken or eggs above.

Remember, variety is the spice of life!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think 1200 is too low for a guy. No scientific proof readily available right now, but it seems low to me.

Try the coconut oil. Can't hurt, right?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Coconut oil is fine and dandy, but it is still a fat and must be done in moderation.

I know people who cut all fat out of their diets and their skin and hair look awful. Why? Well, because skin and hair need fat to be healthy looking.

Same thing with energy - you need carbs (the good kind) to sustain energy.

Protein, the easiest for your body to digest but somewhat the hardest to ingest and metabolize, builds muscle.

Its all about moderation.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Counting calories works. It's just not long term. No one will spend the rest of their life writing or counting every single thing they put in their mouth. Counting calories also leads to a really unhealthy attitude- you are focusing so much on what you're putting into your mouth or how much exercise you're doing. It becomes an obsession that doesn't let up. At least it has, in my experience. I did Weight Watchers and lost about 40 pounds, and would recommend it to anyone, but I was focusing so much on what I was allowed to eat and not allowed. I would exercise an extra fifteen minutes so I could get the points to eat chocolate, or I'd save up all my flex points and blow them on booze. Denying myself that stuff made me explode.

My boyfriend and I have just discovered the revolutionary concept of cooking healthily, eating smaller portions, and exercising every day. We go out and play tennis together every night for at least an hour- it's kicking our ass. I've lost about eight to ten pounds in a month- at least I think I have. One other good benefit of all of this is that I rarely step on a scale.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
From Nov. of last year to like around April - May of this year - I lost about 80 pounds. I went from a 38-40 waist to about a 32 now. I did it by adhereing to a very strict regime that changed the way I ate. Foods I ate/eat in the morning include:

Kashi "Go Lean" cereal at about 5:30 a.m.

a Protein Shake (ISS Advantage Matrix works for me) at around 10:00 a.m.

two chicken breasts (grilled or baked) with a box of frozen brocolli, asparagus, green beans, or brussels sprouts for lunch

another protein shake at around 4:30

THE GYM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at 6:00 to 8:00

Eggbeaters (42 g's of protein) for dinner

Of course I splurge. Like I had fried chicken with fries and fat backed collards Sunday night. You gotta live or your body will hate you. The point is to tune your body up so that when you do splurge, your metabolism is high enough to burn the spluge.

/jp
awesome. this is the kind of stuff I've been trying to find...something to "go by" and taper for myself.

now, was this a typical plan 7 days a week? you hit the gym and stuck to this every day? or did you have an "off" day?
Old 07-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not like milk - so eat eat cereal with water - I know its weird, but it works for me If you want to use whole milk, that is fine, just be sparing with it. Also, fat free and sugar free yougart is good with cereal.

If you get tired of the cereal, eat a wheat bagel with the reduced calorie cream cheese.

Also, if you can walk for about ten minutes before and after eating, you metabolism will be better off.

I usually go to the gym 6 days a week and while there do the Stairmaster for 45 minutes and then the bike or treadmill for 20 minutes. Sometimes, I do aerobics after the Stairmaster.

I lift weights five days a week, though I recently hurt my arm so i have had to limit that somewhat.

For awhile, I got a little to extreme with the diet and that was not a good thing. I lost sight of everything in moderation. But, I am okay now.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 07-18-2006 at 03:22 PM..
Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
I rarely step on a scale.
those things are evil baby and they must be destroyed!!!

I hate scales...really. I try to judge by how I feel and how my clothes fit, but I still hear the scales calling my name...
Old 07-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I do not like milk - so eat eat cereal with water - I know its weird, but it works for me If you want to use whole milk, that is fine, just be sparing with it. Also, fat free and sugar free yougart is good with cereal.

If you get tired of the cereal, eat a wheat bagel with the reduced calorie cream cheese.

Also, if you can walk for about ten minutes before and after eating, you metabolism will be better off.
really? me either. I thought I was the only one. I can do skim milk, but I mainly drink soy milk.

and thanks for these tips too.