Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Texans approve gay marriage ban

Can't say that I'm shocked, but I am incredibly disgusted, especially that early returns showed 74% supporting the amendment.

We actually received a recorded message from Gov. Perry yesterday, urging us to vote for this ban. D*CK!

My biggest fear (and the fear of most Texans opposed to this amendment) is that employers (esp. government employers) will start denying domestic partner benefits and that any contracts (living wills, etc.) will be considered void, because the language of the amendment is so vague, stating that "anything resembling or identical to marriage" won't be recognized.
--------------------------------
http://www.khou.com/news/local/polit....3fb98f7e.html

Texans approve gay marriage ban

08:22 PM CST on Tuesday, November 8, 2005

Dallas Morning News

With a measure to outlaw gay marriage passing easily, Texas on Tuesday became the 19th U.S. state to make the ban part of its constitution.

The area’s other attention-generating issue, a city of Dallas proposition to strengthen the mayor’s powers, was failing by the narrowest of margins. With 26,584 votes counted, the difference was less than 300 votes.

Both measures appeared to be fueling strong voter turnout, according to officials in the Dallas, Collin, Denton and Tarrant county elections offices. Dallas County Elections Administrator Bruce Sherbet said somewhere around 16 percent of registered voters cast ballots. Statewide turnout was expected to exceed the 12.2 percent recorded in 2003.

Known as Proposition 2, the Texas constitutional amendment defines marriage as between a man and a woman and bars the state and its political subdivisions from creating or recognizing "any legal status identical or similar to marriage."

In early returns, 74 percent of voters statewide said they supported the gay-marriage ban, while 26 were opposed. In Dallas County, the margin was a bit narrower, with 69 percent in favor, and 31 percent opposed.

The state's 2003 Defense of Marriage Act already prohibits marriage between same-sex couples. But Prop 2’s supporters, including conservative state legislators and Christian leaders, insisted that Texans must amend their state constitution to ban gay marriage so that "activist" judges can't challenge and overturn anti-gay marriage laws as some courts have in other states.

Opponents have said that the amendment’s ambiguous wording would jeopardize gay couples' partnership benefits and legal arrangements on everything from property issues to end-of-life questions.

If Dallas’ Proposition 1 passes, the mayor would hire and fire the city manager and craft the budget with the manager. The mayor's salary would double to $120,000. And the council would have the authority to fire the manager with a simple majority and hire a budget oversight officer to balance the mayor's fiscal power.

In May, Dallas voters rejected a proposal to give even more power to the mayor. Council members promised voters that they would offer an alternative proposal, which became Prop 1, as an enticement to get them to turn down the May ballot initiative. Since then, about half of the council has mobilized to defeat this referendum as well.

Even Mayor Laura Miller, who says she supports the measure, hasn’t gone out of her way to rally on its behalf.

Dallas voters did appear to be supporting Proposition 14, a measure that would allow the city to sell $23.8 million in bonds to build a new homeless assistance center. The city wants to build the shelter on the southeastern edge of downtown.

In Tarrant County, the hottest issue is in White Settlement, where voters were strongly opposed to changing the city's 19th century name to West Settlement. In early voting, 94 percent were against the change.

Across North Texas, voters also were going to the polls to decide on bond issues and charter amendments as well as choose city council members and school board trustees. Voters across Texas were deciding eight other constitutional amendments in addition to the gay-marriage issue.

made by dissention

Last edited by stargazer99; 11-08-2005 at 09:49 PM..
Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's sad.

But I can't say I'm surprised either.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not shocked to the least bit..it was more shocking when many more states that were not so predictable as Texas did the very same thing last yr

Chris
Old 11-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

About the percentages I would have anticipated for a place like Texass.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, you can't say it passed because of me.

I'm sure it failed in Travis County, which is a small comfort to me. I really need to start making plans to leave the state, though (and possibly the country ).
Old 11-08-2005, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good. Gays should be banned from the earth to live in the depths of hell for all eternity. Sodomy lovers.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No way. Get out! I don't believe it. A liberal state like that voted to ban gay marriage? Next you'll tell me that Pat Robertson doesn't like Bill Clinton, silly.

Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
No way. Get out! I don't believe it. A liberal state like that voted to ban gay marriage? Next you'll tell me that Pat Robertson doesn't like Bill Clinton, silly.

Like I said, I'm not at all surprised. But it makes me miss Chicago all the more. The culture shock of moving here has been too much for me to bear.

made by dissention
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas

I'm sure it failed in Travis County, which is a small comfort to me. I really need to start making plans to leave the state, though (and possibly the country ).
Yeah, get out if you can... although I've heard Austin is a cool place. As for the ban... i have no plans to ever live, visit or travel through Texas... let them have their right-wing, backwards hate-state... i'll stick to the places where i'm wanted or at least tolerated.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
Yeah, get out if you can... although I've heard Austin is a cool place. As for the ban... i have no plans to ever live, visit or travel through Texas... let them have their right-wing, backwards hate-state... i'll stick to the places where i'm wanted or at least tolerated.
I wish Travis County could just secede from the rest of the state. That would solve everything.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Me neither!

Quote:
I'm very sure it passed overwhelmingly here in Collin County. A year ago, I was ready to pack up and leave the country. But at least I lived in a Blue state... now I'm here because of my husband's work instead. I'm still keeping the moving out of the country option open, though, if things don't turn around. Fortunately, it looks like other elections are turning out much better -- VA and NJ ! So maybe SOME things are turning around for the better!

made by dissention
Old 11-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I wish Travis County could just secede from the rest of the state. That would solve everything.
I was just thinking I probably wouldn't cry if all of Texas seceded. Except for the ledgies.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-08-2005, 10:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Me too

Quote:
We actually received a recorded message from Gov. Perry yesterday, urging us to vote for this ban.
I just let the answering machine get it because I was like "999-999-9999, who the hell's number is that?" LOL Then, I picked it up and hung it up.

I'm a Texan...I didn't vote, I've never voted for anything in my life. Don't judge me!

Anyways....the White Settlement thing is so wierd. I live like 5 miles away from White Settlement and my dad works in WS. I don't see why anyone would think about it, it's just a name.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Good. Gays should be banned from the earth to live in the depths of hell for all eternity. Sodomy lovers.
But maybe there's a loving God • • And that may be a foolish thought • Or maybe there is a God • And I have never prayed a lot • But maybe there's a loving God