Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Getting Old...

So as i approach another birthday i have been thinking about growing old. I still feel like a teenager and people still treat me like one but i have begun to notice a few lines around my eyes and i have found 5 grey hairs so far. I find that my insurance agent treats me like a regular adult and wants to chit chat about the weather whenever i go in for a change in my policy... one of those was recently- even though i don't turn 25 for a few more weeks they still are giving me the 25 and older rate for this policy period (that's awesome actually because my car's almost paid off, too... so my car expenses are going down $200 a month!!) i asked about a good student discount and they said i'm too old for it. i wanted to put my 13 yr old jeep on Pimp My Ride (it's really not as bad as some of those cars but i thought if i dirtied it up a bit they'd make it look totally new for me) but i found out that I'm too old. yes, i no longer am included in Mtv's target audience. Tonight when i did my checkout at the bar where i cocktail, i realized that the manager doing my checkout is a year and a week younger than i am. i could have had her job- but i didn't want it- and as a result i feel like some washed- up old loser.

I know that age is really only a state of mind and i totally believe it. I consider myself a kid still, but all around me, more often, i am reminded that i am not getting any younger and people are treating me like a normal adult. People are calling me "ma'am" more and more... store employees don't follow me around anymore (remember how annoying that was guys? those dorks thinking that just because you are young that you are going to shoplift... gawd that got on my nerves)

i don't know... do you guys think a quarter- life crisis exists? so many people i know are getting real jobs and getting married, and pregnancies are no longer a scary unwanted thing. if i get one more invitation to a wedding shower or a baby shower i think i am going to scream.

i think being a 20- something sucks. time to go watch Reality Bites
Old 07-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Leigh
So as i approach another birthday i have been thinking about growing old. I still feel like a teenager and people still treat me like one but i have begun to notice a few lines around my eyes and i have found 5 grey hairs so far. I find that my insurance agent treats me like a regular adult and wants to chit chat about the weather whenever i go in for a change in my policy... one of those was recently- even though i don't turn 25 for a few more weeks they still are giving me the 25 and older rate for this policy period (that's awesome actually because my car's almost paid off, too... so my car expenses are going down $200 a month!!) i asked about a good student discount and they said i'm too old for it. i wanted to put my 13 yr old jeep on Pimp My Ride (it's really not as bad as some of those cars but i thought if i dirtied it up a bit they'd make it look totally new for me) but i found out that I'm too old. yes, i no longer am included in Mtv's target audience. Tonight when i did my checkout at the bar where i cocktail, i realized that the manager doing my checkout is a year and a week younger than i am. i could have had her job- but i didn't want it- and as a result i feel like some washed- up old loser.

I know that age is really only a state of mind and i totally believe it. I consider myself a kid still, but all around me, more often, i am reminded that i am not getting any younger and people are treating me like a normal adult. People are calling me "ma'am" more and more... store employees don't follow me around anymore (remember how annoying that was guys? those dorks thinking that just because you are young that you are going to shoplift... gawd that got on my nerves)

i don't know... do you guys think a quarter- life crisis exists? so many people i know are getting real jobs and getting married, and pregnancies are no longer a scary unwanted thing. if i get one more invitation to a wedding shower or a baby shower i think i am going to scream.

i think being a 20- something sucks. time to go watch Reality Bites
25 is nothing. Try being 40! That really sucks!

I do know what you mean about the employees being younger then you and having a better job or position then you do. What gets me is when I was that age I would get "no you are not older enough for this job"

I can't stand that ma'am crap either but when they are 16 years old everyone is a ma'am to them. I have a funny story. I went to Applebee's a few months ago and the host took my take out order and called me MISS. I was thinking to myself 'Wow he got it right". It made my night for about 5 minutes until this 90 yr old lady walked in and guess what he called her?
Yep, that's right, MISS! I almost died.

I need to find out what I want to do in life myself. It seems sometimes that people just fall into careers or great jobs. I have never had that luck. It was always a struggle to find any kind of job. I want to be able to say that I met so and so who showed me about ABC and then from there I added EFG and now here I am a multi-millionaire.

Vehicles, mine falied the emissions test 3 times this past May.

MTV what is their target audience anyway? 13? I hate MTV!

Grey hair? That is what hair color is for. Lines around the eyes? I think that Diss had a really good skin care brand to recommend but I don't remember the name.

I know what you mean about being that age where you are not young but you are certainly not old and you just don't feel like you fit in anywhere.
Do you have any career goals? Try to focus on where you see yourself in a few years. You are not old and you have a lot of success and great times to look forward to! Good luck to you!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's gettin' old for ya... I stayed home Friday and Saturday night, perfectly content, watching TV. And, yes, I had a sitter! I got up at 8:30 Saturday and Sunday morning..... I really need to get a life! It's OK, Jessica. I'll be 28 in 2 months, and it only get's worse!
Old 07-10-2005, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I honestly don't think that any of you in this thread can be considered old. I think that society gives everyone a really f*cked up idea of age, and I really hate that. 25 is nothing to me. I've always been drawn to women in their fifties because I think they really have it going on. They are definitely not old to me, simply older than me, which doesn't mean much. Basically, I think society tells us that there are certain norms to which we have to conform and they're bull****. And Maria, I don't think there's a thing wrong with staying home Friday and Saturday night. If you had fun with it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, Ive noticed aches and pains in the hips and lower back when I exert meself in the garden but overall, still very few gray hairs, no noticable wrinkles either....course it might be that if I lost a few pounds Id SEE some wrinkles, but so far I look about 10 years younger than I am and I graduated in 76....

havent resorted to hair color, and Im finally trying to remember to use moisturizer or even sunscreen (actually for as little care as Ive taken of myself, I should look a LOT worse than I do, I guess Ive been lucky in the Genes dept...)

think I'll post a picture in the "what do you look like?" thread.....
Old 07-10-2005, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Tonight when i did my checkout at the bar where i cocktail, i realized that the manager doing my checkout is a year and a week younger than i am. i could have had her job- but i didn't want it- and as a result i feel like some washed- up old loser.
Would you really want the manager's job? They work like 60 hours a week and the pay is peanuts. Meanwhile, you get to go in, work for a little while, maybe meet some interesting people and go home with cash in your hand.

Quote:
I do think it exists. It doesn't really matter what other people are doing though. That's about them. It's what you want to do that really matters.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I honestly don't think that any of you in this thread can be considered old. I think that society gives everyone a really f*cked up idea of age, and I really hate that. 25 is nothing to me. I've always been drawn to women in their fifties because I think they really have it going on. They are definitely not old to me, simply older than me, which doesn't mean much. Basically, I think society tells us that there are certain norms to which we have to conform and they're bull****. And Maria, I don't think there's a thing wrong with staying home Friday and Saturday night. If you had fun with it, that's all that matters.
Yup. All we have is right now.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like grey hair.

- Jake
Old 07-10-2005, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit
I like grey hair.

- Jake
I thought you liked no hair?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

25... wow your half way to 50

Sorry.... lol
Old 07-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I feel/felt the same way as you. I remember being bummed when I was no longer eligible to go on Road Rules. 25 is kind of a hard age, but after a little while, you'll be glad you aren't 30, yet. And remember, the important thing is that you are still hot. Wear sunscreen every day, and all that. That whole marriage/baby thing does suck a bit, but I never really wanted that, so it wasn't that bad. If you do want that, I'm sure it will happen for you. But really, you are quite young, so just continue to enjoy it to it's fullest as long as you can. Go out! Be Hot!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
Grey hair? That is what hair color is for. Lines around the eyes? I think that Diss had a really good skin care brand to recommend but I don't remember the name.
For being 27, I've got LOTS of grey hair. It's all up front, and it frames my face. It drives me nuts.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
And Maria, I don't think there's a thing wrong with staying home Friday and Saturday night. If you had fun with it, that's all that matters.
I finally caught up on some TV time! It was nice. And, since I got up so early today, I got a lot accomplished.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL - I'm such an old person. Really - I complain about not meeting people - but I don't do a whole lot.

I have to REALLY be in the mood to go to bars - because generally I hate them.

So yeah - turning 25 was a freak out for me - but I'm fine now. I am ok sitting at home on a Friday and Saturday - what pisses me off are the couple of people in my life who try and make me feel bad about it. But I don't get how they don't understand that staying in is what I WANT to do...ugh. People.

Um - this isn't totally on topic - just thought I'd add my 2 cents
Old 07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
For being 27, I've got LOTS of grey hair. It's all up front, and it frames my face. It drives me nuts.
I had grey in my hair at age 20!!! Have tons of it but ya have to look closely at my hair to see, It is easily noticeable around my temples (Just not on the pictures posted here recently).

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."