Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Russell Crowe Arrested

I love it when they throw tantrums! I makes my day.

By Pat Milton
ASSOCIATED PRESS

11:07 a.m. June 6, 2005

NEW YORK – Russell Crowe was arrested and charged Monday for allegedly throwing a telephone at an employee of the Manhattan hotel where he was staying.
Crowe, 41, who plays a boxer in his latest film, "Cinderella Man," allegedly threw the phone at the concierge at the Mercer Hotel in SoHo, "hitting him in the face and causing a laceration and substantial pain," according to the complaint.

The Australian movie star was arraigned on charges of second-degree assault and fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon – the telephone – before Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Martin Murphy. The assault charge is punishable by four years in prison.

"This arose because he was trying to get his wife on the phone in Australia," his lawyer, Gerald Lefcourt, told reporters earlier outside the police precinct where Crowe was booked. "He was in his room. He couldn't get a line and there was a disagreement."

Police said Crowe left his room and went to the front desk where the alleged confrontation took place.

The prosecution told the judge that Crowe admitted to a police officer that he picked up the phone and threw it because he was angry.

Assistant District Attorney Chad Sjoquist asked the judge to set $5,000 bail, but Murphy released Crowe on his own recognizance and told him to return to court Sept. 14.

After Crowe was processed at the police precinct, he was led out in handcuffs to a police sport utility vehicle for the ride to criminal court. A horde of media, including a news helicopter hovering overhead, descended on him. Crowe, wearing dark shades, a blue bomber-style jacket and jeans, declined comment.

Crowe's publicist, Robin Baum, told syndicated TV show "Extra" that "after asking the front desk several times to replace a faulty phone in his room – and getting only attitude from the clerk on duty – Crowe brought the phone down to the front desk in an effort to address the situation in person.

"Words were exchanged and Crowe wound up throwing the phone against the wall. He regrets that he lost his temper, but at no time did he assault anyone or touch any hotel employee."

It wasn't the first instance of reported bad behavior by Crowe. The actor got into a brawl at a chic London restaurant in November 2002. Earlier that year, he reportedly was abusive toward a TV executive when the British Broadcasting Corp. edited his acceptance speech out of a broadcast of the British Academy Film Awards.

Crowe is married to actress Danielle Spencer and they have a 17-month-old son, Charles Spencer Crowe. He won an Oscar for his role in 2000's "Gladiator."

"Cinderella Man," Ron Howard's story of Depression-era boxer Jim Braddock, had a lackluster opening this weekend, debuting at No. 4 with an estimated $18.6 million at the box office.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BBBBWWWWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I hope the guy's OK, but come on - hit in the head with a phone? THAT? Is hilarious!
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

What a dick.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
BBBBWWWWWWWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I hope the guy's OK, but come on - hit in the head with a phone? THAT? Is hilarious!

I'm guessing he's not over menopause. Huh Paula?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if EC threw the phone actually at the emplyee or just threw the phone and it accidently hit the employee. RC is known, however, to have a temper and he often is drunk - at least that is what the stories say - so who knows. The press, however, is fresh out of courtroom drama once the MJ jury issues the verdict. So, I am seeing a long play out in the media.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
I'm guessing he's not over menopause. Huh Paula?

Yeah, that change of life sure is rough, I'm such an expert & all.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I wonder if EC threw the phone actually at the emplyee or just threw the phone and it accidently hit the employee. RC is known, however, to have a temper and he often is drunk - at least that is what the stories say - so who knows. The press, however, is fresh out of courtroom drama once the MJ jury issues the verdict. So, I am seeing a long play out in the media.
Yeah cuz they need to continue to avoid actual news. This is so stupid, how can a grown man not control his temper? Although I do rage on occasion but I can safely say I have never thrown anything at anyone. Crazy bastard.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Russell Crowe is a wet fart of a human turd. I loathe him. And I hear he's rank.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Russell Crowe is a pompous, overrated ass. I'm glad his new movie opened with a "lackluster" turnout. Speaks volumes to me.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Russell Crowe is a pompous, overrated ass. I'm glad his movie opened with a "lackluster" turnout. Speaks volumes to me.
The only good movie I've ever seen him in was The Insider. Everything else sucked. Gladiator was one of the most overrated, bloated pieces of defecation to hit theaters in the last five years. And that says a lot. He seems like such a bastard that I just can't bear to look at him and his skank ass. Don't even get me started on his "music," and I use the term loosely.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Russell Crowe is a pompous, overrated ass. I'm glad his new movie opened with a "lackluster" turnout. Speaks volumes to me.
I saw some good reviews for the new movie, though. I mean, I don't really like him, but...didn't Ron Howard direct it?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 06-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

LOL -- you are so funny sometimes - do you like anything mainstream

Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I saw some good reviews for the new movie, though. I mean, I don't really like him, but...didn't Ron Howard direct it?
I read that it was manipulative garbage. But I expect nothing less from Opie. It looks like one **** movie.

Old 06-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Cinderella Man last weekend and thought it was fantastic as were the performaces of RZ, RC, and Paul Giamatti (esp.) were fab. and will most certainly be nominated for an Academy Award, as will the movie and Ron Howard. The story is sappy, but I loved it.