User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
That's a little odd isn't it? Two bedrooms and three bathrooms. Shouldn't it be the other way around or did it mainly consist of bathrooms?
There were two bathrooms upstairs and one downstairs, but yeah, it was a bit odd. Whenever I had people over they were always amazed by the number of bathrooms.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan88
Very convenient but eco unfriendly.
Also a pain in the ass to keep clean!
Old 03-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I live in a perfectly boring one bedroom apartment in a perfectly boring suburb of Chicago. My apartment is in a totally anonymous building, part of a totally anonymous complex. I'm on the seventh (and top) floor of a building with about 100 units in it. Here's a picture of my living room I took so my mom could see the new curtains I just made.

As for rent- I have an incredible deal on a 1-bedroom, and I pay about $700 a month. When I was in the city, the least I paid was splitting $1100 for a three bedroom in a crappy part of town. We were paying $1200 for a one bedroom smaller than my current place down in the South Loop a few years ago.

I'm visiting my parents in Kansas right now, and almost peed my pants when we drove past a (nice & new) apt. complex that was advertising a $450 rate for one bedrooms, and my cousin said "What a rip!"- I wanted to clock her.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
Here's a picture of my living room I took so my mom could see the new curtains I just made.
Is that baseboard heat all the way around that room? It must get toasty when you turn the heat on!
Old 03-25-2005, 02:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfanken
Is that baseboard heat all the way around that room? It must get toasty when you turn the heat on!
It's actually just on the two walls you can see in the picture! It surprisingly doesn't get too toasty- but I rarely turn the heat up anyways. I think I keep the thermostat around 65-70, and half the time I crack a window anyways, even in the winter.

I lived for years with a freak of nature that paid electric bills in amounts of hundreds of dollars to keep the A/C at 60 degrees at all times, and would be enraged if the heat went above 65- so I just got used to it!
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley
It's actually just on the two walls you can see in the picture! It surprisingly doesn't get too toasty- but I rarely turn the heat up anyways. I think I keep the thermostat around 65-70, and half the time I crack a window anyways, even in the winter.

I lived for years with a freak of nature that paid electric bills in amounts of hundreds of dollars to keep the A/C at 60 degrees at all times, and would be enraged if the heat went above 65- so I just got used to it!
That's good for you. I had baseboard heat, once, and it was REALLY INeffecient. Expensive, and not very warm at all.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
But I have no qualms about doing anything while sober, so there would be no point in getting me drunk.
Hmm. The mind reels.

Forgive me. I just picture you, me, and The Tower...a few shots of tequila. You do the math, smarty pants.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
[COLOR=Indigo]Since Josh absolutely scared the **** out of me with the price of his apartment, I have to ask y'all what apartments go for where you live. I haven't ever tried to rent one, but it's on my mind for the future, and I hear that it's hard to get any one bedroom that feels remotely safe for less than about $450 a month. I've seen some pretty nice places for around $700 a month. Are the prices dramatically different where y'all are?
Here you can get a real small one bedroom apartment for around $450 a month. The last time I rented was about 5 or 6 years ago, and it was a pretty spacious 2 bedroom 1 bath, with a decent size kitchen, and and living room/ dining room combo for ...... $675? I can't stand the idea of renting when I own 2200 sq. feet for around $850 a month.

It cracks me up how the prices of renting/owning vary from place to place. In Arizona, a friend bought a house around the same size as mine here, and paid around $60,000 more then I did.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I live in Sherman Oaks CA (part of "the valley") I actually live a couple blocks off of Ventura Blvd (from "Free Fallin'") like most people in Sherman Oaks. I live in a three bedroom (two old, old friends are roommates) two bath apartment with a wonderful view of the Santa Monica Mountains and the los angeles river (more like a glorified drainage canal). Rent for all three of us is only $600 a month and we each have a parking spot in a private garage. It's great!

Michael

"My songs don't get recorded unless I know they're really going to be good and I'm really going to like them ...so....but they are, you know, ultimately, slightly looney." -Stevie Nicks
Old 03-25-2005, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic
We live in a typical Canadian house, it's small, but cozy, we call it home.
love it!!! ~
Old 03-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

let's c...house, 2000 sq ft ranch, red brick outside, 3 beds, 2 baths, kitchen, family, living & dining rooms w/ a 2 car garage & full finished basement that i hate 2 go down in2 tho, i'm a chicken of basements unless having 2 flee 2 their safety in the event of a tornado~ we have a huge fenced yard~ hubby & son & i~ animals: sweeney the weanie dog, housecat, 29 gallon fish tank & 2 beta's named stevie nicks (gorgeous red color) & christine (vibrant turquoise color)~
Old 03-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
I live in Sparkyland, which is in Los Angeles. Because I am hypersensitive to stimulus and noise, I live with my 2 small parrots on an acre in the hills, up a private driveway in a 2bd/2ba 2000 sq ft house. It is a modern house, a la Schindler, that is about 70% floor to ceiling windows. It's like living in a treehouse. No neighbors can see me, and I can't see them. I only see trees, deer, squirrels, skunks, and the occasional coyote. The best part - no one can see the swimming pool either. It's my own private little oasis, and helps keep me off the Xanax that living in such a chaotic city might require me to take otherwise.
Sparky, sounds like a dream. I'm also very sensitive and easily over stimulated by the chaos of the city. But I do love it. You live so nicely. Man, I gotta get myself a home!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default house

This has been a very interesting thread!

Let's see. I live in South Jersey, directly across the bridge from Philly in a place called Cherry Hill. (about a ten minute drive from Center City) I own a five bedroom, two bath house with a big living room, average dining room and kitchen. There is a huge porch that I turned into a play room and we have a partially finished basement and laundry room. My yard is really big as this was one of the first houses built in my neighborhood, the previous and ONLY owners had two lots. So, we have a big ole garage at the back of our property that holds all my husbands various tools, the pool stuff, bikes, Christmas **** etc. We have a pool for the kids, one big long haired black cat named Puddy, a littertrained bunny named Walley and one hamster named Cupcake.
My husband is a contractor so he has done a ton of work on our house. When we bought it, it was only three bedrooms but he finished the entire attic and put a bathroom up there so my two older kids have the entire attic for themselves. It is two bedrooms, a small little computer room and a bath. The other bedrooms are on the main level.
Thats about it. Oh yea I live about fifteen minutes from Marissa...the only Ledgie around here I know.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 03-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad I started this thread! *pats self on back*I think it's interesting to know where people live.

My new favorite TV show is Househunters on H&G. Each show, they show people go through 3 homes & pick which one they decide to buy. Plus, they show everything from small cottages to apartments to large homes. One show was a single guy looking for a cozy fixer-upper. Another had a retired couple whining that one house didn't have a big enough walk-in closet.

The only thing that pisses me off is that they never mention price on the show. And I'm a nosy bitch.

Hillary (I think it was you who asked, right?)- 2 BR apartments around here can be anywhere from $500 a month or higher depending on where you are. They just renovated several old manufacturing buildings downtown into very cool, very modern, very large apartments. Kind of like one huge room, with the bath & BRs separate. I think those are around $800 -= $1500 per month. My first apartment was a 2BR 1bath upstairs in a double home. We paid $375 a month (only 4 years ago.) I loved it, it was cute but not tiny, lots of woodwork & built ins.

One of the best things about my area is the price of housing. Cheap, cheap, cheap, compared to other areas of the US. I think our average home price is like $125,000 or something. I bought my house for $55,000. And no, I'm not in a bad neighborhood. It needed some cosmetic work, but nothing spectacular. I prefer older homes with charm - just not a fan of new-builds (not that I could afford it anyway, lol!)
Old 03-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just recently moved from a one bedroom apartment in Hoboken, NJ and I have to say I really miss that place. I thought I really wanted to move, But as they say the grass is always greener.