Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
It's not so much a boycott of other products but I always try to buy the Australian made of the variety, with one ironic exception, that being Vegemite. Technically Marmite (it's Kiwi counterpart) isn't Vegemite but they're so similar and yet different enough for me to dislike the Australian variety.

Vegemite! Wasn't that a great Lucy episode?

That really sucks about your parents, Amber! to hear- what bastards!!! It makes me mad when people act as if they own everything God put on this green earth. Money-hungry SOBs!
You’ll just have to blow your way through this disguise"
Old 02-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Forgot an important boycott

HARTZ flea topical. HARTZ, and many over-the counter flea drops GIVE CATS SEIZURES AND KILLS THEM!!!! DO NOT USE IT!!!! One summer my vet office had 6 cats die because of it. Even though it is more expensive, you have to use Frontline or something from the vets office.

The Hartz that I had bought, I even took it back and told the lady at the counter not to use it on her animals!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmaiden
HARTZ flea topical. HARTZ, and many over-the counter flea drops GIVE CATS SEIZURES AND KILLS THEM!!!! DO NOT USE IT!!!! One summer my vet office had 6 cats die because of it. Even though it is more expensive, you have to use Frontline or something from the vets office.

The Hartz that I had bought, I even took it back and told the lady at the counter not to use it on her animals!!!
Omg. I don't know what we use on my cats. It's a prescription, though... I dunno if it's any better, though.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM
Senior Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx
Omg. I don't know what we use on my cats. It's a prescription, though... I dunno if it's any better, though.
Here's some good sites

http://www.moggies.co.uk/warning.html

OMG- it says pet shampoo can kill, too!!! Better see for yourselves...
http://www.hartzvictims.org/

It's sooooo sad!!!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL - some comments in general and realted to the above:

1. My mother had a new knee put in last year and the ins. company would pay only at the Catholic Hospital, which was ironic since my father helped build the other big hospital in town. So, my mom is lying there on Demoral with her new knee just a few hours old and this lady walks in the room with a pic (sp.?) , which is used by a lay minister to administer the Host. My mother, a DEVOUT Epsicopalean (in the first part of the 1900's, the services were held in her great grandmother's living room then her family built the first real Church on their land and then essentially gave the land for the current Chruch ) and looped on the pain meds, looks at this poor woman and says in an authoritative tone only an aging Southern Belle can muster "You are a Papist. You and your kind only allow Catholics to have the Body of Christ. I am not a Catholic - though I am a Christian and you ought to be ashamed of yourself because Christ made no such dinstinction - now please leave" then she turned on the t.v. and in that motion dismissed this woman. Well, needless to say this poor woman was horrified and ran out of the room essentially in tears. Ten minutes later the head nun of the convent running this hospital comes in the room and addresses my mother by her first name as they have known each other for YEARS and says "as long as you believe in Christ you can have the Host and I do not care WHAT the Pope says Needless to say, after that, I had a cocktail and listened to "Battle of the Dragons"

2. A&F is NOTHING compared to its glory days as a safari outfutter, which ended pretty much in 1985

3. Didn't Cracker Barrell mend its ways?

4: Vegemite blows - I hate it - but LOVE Lux - though apparently, emotion aside, I am a source of stability, which is odd considering my own

Old 02-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Lux
Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmaiden
Vegemite! Wasn't that a great Lucy episode?
No - that was vita-meata- vegemin
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind

1. My mother had a new knee put in last year and the ins. company would pay only at the Catholic Hospital, which was ironic since my father helped build the other big hospital in town. So, my mom is lying there on Demoral with her new knee just a few hours old and this lady walks in the room with a pic (sp.?) , which is used by a lay minister to administer the Host. My mother, a DEVOUT Epsicopalean (in the first part of the 1900's, the services were held in her great grandmother's living room then her family built the first real Church on their land and then essentially gave the land for the current Chruch ) and looped on the pain meds, looks at this poor woman and says in an authoritative tone only an aging Southern Belle can muster "You are a Papist. You and your kind only allow Catholics to have the Body of Christ. I am not a Catholic - though I am a Christian and you ought to be ashamed of yourself because Christ made no such dinstinction - now please leave" then she turned on the t.v. and in that motion dismissed this woman. Well, needless to say this poor woman was horrified and ran out of the room essentially in tears. Ten minutes later the head nun of the convent running this hospital comes in the room and addresses my mother by her first name as they have known each other for YEARS and says "as long as you believe in Christ you can have the Host and I do not care WHAT the Pope says Needless to say, after that, I had a cocktail and listened to "Battle of the Dragons"
OMG - I LOVE that story Your mom sounds awesome
Old 02-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
Well, I put someone on my ignore list for the first time EVER on this board.

Does that count?
Me too!!
Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, they did. In 2002, apparently. I posted a link to a news article. No one told me.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL - some comments in general and realted to the above:

2. A&F is NOTHING compared to its glory days as a safari outfutter, which ended pretty much in 1985

4: Vegemite blows - I hate it - but LOVE Lux - though apparently, emotion aside, I am a source of stability, which is odd considering my own

Your Mom is aweseome! Lol! That poor woman trying to give her the host, oh my.

I like Cracker Barrell, their Mac and cheese is so good, fried chicken, and their pancakes are like crack. So I'm glad to read they did mend their ways, someone else posted a link to an article about it.

EDIT: It was markolas who posted the article. Also, I can't forget, their biscuits! Mmmmm...
Old 02-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Well I hate vegemite too. We're perfect. As I said, I do like the Marmite, so you can win the bread and then buy the Marmite and we'll have a perfect breakfast. Vegemite is kind of gross but I'm not sure if foreigners understand that with any of these mitey spreads, it's not like jam (wait, don't you call that jelly?) where you spread a lot on. The amount you spread is tiny, less than a layer of butter. Still, I can understand the dislike for vegemite.

Help me out here - what IS vegemite and marmite? I mean, I've heard of them, I know you spread it on bread for a sandwich - but what is it exactly? What does it taste like?
Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Lux
Old 02-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Americans grow up with the strangest things from our point of view. Peanut butter and jelly (I presume that's our jam but with less strawberries and more artificial ingredients)?
You got it! But what are the 'mites made of? Peanut butter is peanuts, oil (I don't even know if there's actually any butter in it.) Jelly is fruit, sugar and usually preservatives. What's in Vegemite & Marmite?
Old 02-04-2005, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Wal Mart. Their business practices are unfair and unscrupulous and they treat their employees like ****.
AMEN, sister! Our office has also begun to boycott Wal Mart and Sam's.

Last edited by Livia; 02-04-2005 at 04:15 PM..
Old 02-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Lux
Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yeast is the main ingredient. In America do you have the jam (jelly, whatever) with the huge chunks of strawberries, blackberry, apricot, or whatever the type happens to be? I tried some when I was there and it seemed like a sugar gel (crazy yanks and your sugar). Does 'jelly' cover both (assuming the former exists over there) or is that the jelly and jam the same as ours?
There's definitely a difference between jelly & jam. I don't eat much of either, but yes, we do have real jam with chunks of real fruit (of course, it's probably imported from the UK or something. )

Then we have "all natural" jelly, which supposedly has no preservatives, just fruit, water & I'm sure loads of sugar. And then the general "jelly" which I grew up with, which is the sugar gel you mentioned.

I hardly ever eat it at home, but if I go out to breakfast, then I'll put jelly on my toast.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Yeast is the main ingredient. In America do you have the jam (jelly, whatever) with the huge chunks of strawberries, blackberry, apricot, or whatever the type happens to be? I tried some when I was there and it seemed like a sugar gel (crazy yanks and your sugar). Does 'jelly' cover both (assuming the former exists over there) or is that the jelly and jam the same as ours?
Jelly is the sugar gel and jam is the ones with chunks of fruit. (I think, anyway. I don't eat either much.)
Old 02-04-2005, 04:03 PM
Lux