User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

i boycotted kerr mcgee gas stations becuz of the karen silkwood movie~

i only buy dawn dishwashing liquid cuz of how the help the animals survive oil spills & the like~
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdreamsunwindx
Yeah, those. Thx Diss!!!1!1!1one!11

Oh, and United Way. Also, Wilson's Leather, for obvious reasons. I dislike the Gap because of their prices and other things I've heard about them. I'm sure there's more.

Oh yeah - The Pittsburgh/Ohio grocery store chain, Giant Eagle. Disgusting prices. And this isn't technically boycotting, but I refuse to go to the ER at the hospital near where I live, because my appendix was on the verge of bursting, yet they still wouldn't see me. I've been seriously ill and I still refused to go. My mom almost pulled me to the car to go, but I refused, because of the way they treated me. Also, Mercy Hospital in Pittsburgh. My grandmother was in there for six months, and the lack of care she recieved there was partly responsible for her death.

I also boycott Abercrombie and Fitch, for their prices, and various other reasons.
I boycott A&F and Calvin Klein.

KFC.

I avoid Walmart at all costs, but in my parents' hometown, it's practically the only place to shop. Yes, WalMart, rural America thanks you.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I put someone on my ignore list for the first time EVER on this board.

Does that count?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
Give A&F props, they boycotted merino wool when they could have continued to use it.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Boycott

Quote:

KFC.

I avoid Walmart at all costs, but in my parents' hometown, it's practically the only place to shop. Yes, WalMart, rural America thanks you.

I refuse to spend a penny at Wal-Mart. I live in a small town that has been hit by Wal-Mart's monopoly. We cannot keep stores here, and now Wal-Mart is building a Super-W-M. All their practices disgust me. I just live without whatever I need, until I go out of town, or pay extra at the grocery store.

Boycott buying big pets at pet-stores. The dogs come from Puppy Mills, and their cages aren't kept up very well.

McDonald's- they are gross. Except like twice a year, I'll go there.

Victoria's Secret- they were very rude to me once. And they're prices are outrageous sometimes. For that kind of crappy- attitude service, the product better be cheaper!
You’ll just have to blow your way through this disguise"
Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmaiden
Victoria's Secret- they were very rude to me once. And they're prices are outrageous sometimes. For that kind of crappy- attitude service, the product better be cheaper!
Don't you hate that? You just feel like grabbing them by the hair, shaking them ferociously, and telling them that they only work in a bastard shop so they can lose the f*cking attitude.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Give A&F props, they boycotted merino wool when they could have continued to use it.
They don't need it - their clothes barely cover anything.

While it's good they did that, some of their ads are sick.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Jesus, I just looked up why you would boycott this and those poor lambs, I will never buy merino wool!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They don't need it - their clothes barely cover anything.

While it's good they did that, some of their ads are sick.
Um, yeah. Kids see enough without having it marketed directly at them.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Don't you hate that? You just feel like grabbing them by the hair, shaking them ferociously, and telling them that they only work in a bastard shop so they can lose the f*cking attitude.

You’ll just have to blow your way through this disguise"
Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixxxed
Well, I put someone on my ignore list for the first time EVER on this board.

Does that count?
Yes, I think it does.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I don't boycott a bunch of stuff, cause i don't buy that much stuff.
But now, Pepsi co. - which I didn't mind with the Taco Bell/KFC thing, but Diet Pepsi is my soda of choice when i drink soda. Oh, well, it's just soda! and pertaining to the Peta list Jason thoughtfully provided me with in another thread, I try my darndest not to get those products! Now it will be easier.
My big boycott for the past few years has been California wines. That's more of a local thing, though - and especially for the last few years dumbf**** have been moving to my, and other, foothill towns to grow wine grapes which is extremely bad for the extroadinarily rich foothill ecosystem (deer fences are bad for deers, which are bad for mountain lions, which, etc, etc - it's all connected. In foothills the variation in elevation makes for an exceptionally varied ecosystem within a small space) and also these dumbasses move there, cut down the trees to grow grapes, which aren't good for the soil at all. Do we really need more high end wines? NO!
This is also close to my heart as these lame people (from the bay area) have built a house right next door to my parents house, cut all the trees in back, and planted grapes. And - my parents are now involved in litigation with them because they are disputing the property line of my parents tiny house, little workshed, and yard (my parents can't afford their lawyer, and he's a bad one at that) so that they can gain 10 more feet of property. They just built a big ol nice house, cut down the trees, and they're begrudging my parents their work shed! And my parent's property line has been in place for like, 60 years. Of course they have money, which buys justice, especially in my town!
Anyways, personal story blah, but...
A few years back i would not eat beef because of the heinous amount of resources/land it takes to grow beef - yes, McDonald's is cutting down the rainforest (which provides most of our air and an amazing diversity of species, not to mention plants with medicinal properties) for grazing land, so that we can eat hamburgers, which aren't even good for us.
Oh, and also - Albertsons, cause (I think) the Mormon church owns them. Carl's Jr. for their anti abortion stance/contributions i heard about awhile back.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 02-04-2005 at 02:56 AM..
Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunmaiden
Boycott buying big pets at pet-stores. The dogs come from Puppy Mills, and their cages aren't kept up very well.
This is exactly why the selling of dogs and cats in pet stores is illegal in my state (California). I remember there used to be a store in the mall that got shut down for several reasons, but partly because all the puppies it sold had parvo.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
Circuit City and Best Buy because they never seem to have what I want lately and the help at both stores is just clueless.

Any CD store at the mall. Overpriced and clueless help need I say more?
I sort of boycott these stores, but not really because I have a problem with them. Mostly I don't shop at these places because half of what I listen to they don't even carry anyways and their prices are outrageous. As for getting help there, I'm one of those antisocial people who'd rather spend hours trying to find something myself than deal with someone I don't know. That's the same reason why when I go to the bank I'll use the ATM even if there is no waiting at the counter.
But I digress. I do have to give some props to Best Buy though. Of all the cd retailers I've come across, they have the best selection and Best Buy is the ONLY store I've been in that actually carries all three of Lindsey Buckingham's solo albums. In fact, the only other store I've been in that had any of his work at all was Barnes and Noble, which had one copy of OOTC. Most of the music I buy comes from Amazon, Columbia House, Ebay or straight from the artists' websites. Where I live, if you're not a fan of bubble-gum crap like Britney Spears, you're SOL in terms of buying cds.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
It's not so much a boycott of other products but I always try to buy the Australian made of the variety, with one ironic exception, that being Vegemite. Technically Marmite (it's Kiwi counterpart) isn't Vegemite but they're so similar and yet different enough for me to dislike the Australian variety.
Ya know, I was like that with cars. I would only buy an American made car, but after owning 4 American cars, I'll buy a Toyota next time. I've not had any luck with the American pieces of ****.