Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question What do you boycott and why?

As per the other KFC thread - I thought I'd ask if you all boycott places?

Which places and why?

I boycott McDonalds- well because it's crap
Also - KFC because I don't like it and because of the information I've learned about their treatment of chickens

-Krispy Kreme - because I like Dunkin' Doughnut's better - and I have a big pet peeve about places that spell words in their title incorrectly

I don't think I have an active boycott against any other places....
Old 02-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
...because I like Dunkin' Doughnut's better - and I have a big pet peeve about places that spell words in their title incorrectly
Isn't it officially spelled Dunkin' Donuts?? Which would shoot your pet peeve thing right down the drain.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wal Mart. Their business practices are unfair and unscrupulous and they treat their employees like ****.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 02-03-2005 at 07:44 PM..
Old 02-03-2005, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Isn't it officially spelled Dunkin' Donuts?? Which would shoot your pet peeve thing right down the drain.
Oh yeah - BUT Dunkin' is more of a shortening of Dunking, so that's okay - and donut is an acceptable way to spell doughnut That's how I justify it
Old 02-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
As per the other KFC thread - I thought I'd ask if you all boycott places?

Which places and why?
I don't think I have ever boycotted a place. Strange but interesting question.

I do however, 'boycott' veal, i refuse to eat it. For some odd reason what i have heard about the horrible life/slaughter of the baby cows for veal disturbs me more more than the slaughter of any other animal. I don't know why this is, but that's me. yes, the KFC things does upset me, but as I hardly ever go there anyway, I guess don't see a need to boycott it.

The only other thing I can think that i 'boycott' is the boy scouts, for their whole discrimination policy. I don't think I'd let my son become a boy scout on these grounds (not that he wants to be one anyway.)

-Lis
Old 02-03-2005, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

None.

I think that if you look somewhat deeply into any corp., you will see bad things Thus, they are all bad to some degree - so why discrimminate But, that is my line to draw and that is where I draw it I do not begrudge other people for drawing it elsewhere

I do, however, write businesses letters when I think they do bad things that i see.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 02-03-2005 at 02:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh yeah - BUT Dunkin' is more of a shortening of Dunking, so that's okay - and donut is an acceptable way to spell doughnut That's how I justify it
"Situational Ethics", eh?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
"Situational Ethics", eh?
That's riiiight
Old 02-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I boycott all Perkins restaurants cuz they gave me bloody chicken once.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lightbulb None, I don't guess

Although, I hate shopping at Wally World these days, but that's because it makes me wanna hurt people. LOL The crowds, the overcrowding of merchandise, the small aisles, UGH!!! Get me outta here!!

Yep, every company does dirty deeds, Jason, so, what's the point in boycotting all of them. But, if boycotting means not shopping there because they suck, then sure, I boycott.

I hate Wendys' food, I don't eat it, is that considered boycotting?
Old 02-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Although, I hate shopping at Wally World these days, but that's because it makes me wanna hurt people. LOL The crowds, the overcrowding of merchandise, the small aisles, UGH!!! Get me outta here!!

Yep, every company does dirty deeds, Jason, so, what's the point in boycotting all of them. But, if boycotting means not shopping there because they suck, then sure, I boycott.

hehe...I agree with you about Wal-Mart! THE CROWDS!

But I disagree about Wendys..Dave Thomas ROCKS...best fast-food!
Old 02-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Ewwww!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
I boycott all Perkins restaurants cuz they gave me bloody chicken once.

I got raw chicken at Shoney's once in Chattanooga, TN, I think it was, when my family went on vacation. I've eaten at other Shoney's though. The closest one is in Arlington, which is about a 35 minute drive, so I can do without. LOL
Old 02-03-2005, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Hmmm...

I dispise Wal#$%^&*Mart with a passion, So I rarely try to have to shop there (I will sit out in the car as Deb shops for what lil' WFM has that we need...Which is usually Cat Litter & Paper CD Sleeves). Only good thing about the location of the Norman Wal#$%^&*Mart is that Best Buy is now located on the premises...And I love BestBuy (Wider/Larger & Better selection of music & electronics, and best of all music that is not subject to CENSORSHIP which is a big thing for those fartheads from Ark-i-saw!!! )

I also boycott Krappy Kreme donuts, We tried 'em when a store opened in OKC and had the worse case of 'the trots' on record...F**k Krappy Kreme, F**k 'em in their stupid ass donut holes!

I also boycott those considered assholes, You can't shoot 'em/kill 'em since it is 'supposedly' against the law...But trust me, Make asshole hunting season legal and I will be the undisputed Grand World Champion!

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 02-03-2005 at 03:04 PM..
Old 02-03-2005, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

Yeah - my reasons for boycotting certain places aren't political or deep - many are just selfish reasons....

I also hate Wal-Mart - sadly I still go there when I need cereal becaue they're the only ones in this town that sell the cereal I eat

But it's such a horrendous place - going there is definitely an exercise in anger management.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angry Actually...

Quote:
Yeah - my reasons for boycotting certain places aren't political or deep - many are just selfish reasons....
my hatred of Wal#$%&^Mart is due to their business practices with a company I was once employed with (Unarco Commercial Products of Wagoner, OK...Who manufactured ALL of the shopping carts at ALL of the Wal#$%&^Mart's worldwide).

What kind of company pays $5 for each shopping cart when total labor costs (Hourly labor, parts & material) around $45-$50 to manufacture each cart? And when the company who is manufacturing the carts tells Wal#$%&^Mart "That is not a physically possible deal in the business sense, We will lose $$$$ on this contract", What was Wal#$%&^Mart response? "We'll take our business to Mexico for even cheaper labor then..."

An utter complucking fly-drawing pile of horse-**** from a company that ONCE bragged about supporting "American Made" products (They no longer preach this practice!!!)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 02-03-2005 at 02:59 PM..