Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Ya know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I find that kinda sweet though.

But you're right about Men In Black II, I thought you meant it was a flop.

I still don't understand why Titanic is the highest grossing film in the world.
the real Titanic sank in faster amount of time than the complete length of the movie?

I could never understand how people saw Tit-anic multiple times when once was enuff to bore some of my braincells into permanent suspended animation

Btw, Deb's fave movie is the Lucille Ball/Henry Fonda classic "Yours, Mine, Ours" & my fave will always be "The Good, The Bad & the Ugly"...I love westerns' which is now a dying catergory of movies.

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
because I would rather watch a movie made before 1970 than most modern movies...

Hell, We (Deb & myself) both fell asleep during LOTR!!!!

Brian j.
you know, i couldn't get through that either! Weird...
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
As long as it's nothing as bad as Planet of the Apes, I'll be happy. If they stick to the book, it should be a classic.
Poor Winona

save the cheerleader - save the world
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom of the Pradise with Jessica Harper is one of my favorites! That's still DePalma's best film, along with Sisters, IMO.
It's been the first De Palma movie I've watched (at 11 or 12) and it scared me to death, but at the same I was so impressed: it has definitely fueled my love for movies. My favourite De Palma is Dressed To Kill but Phantom of the Paradise is a close second.

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You can hear some of the new Phantom soundtrack here - Honestly, I am embarassed for the guy playing the Phantom. He scoops some of the notes and flat out refuses to try and hit many of the others. Finally, his "BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" - the big note to be held for MUCH longer than he even attempts, is, quite frankly, flat. Oy Vey !

Old 11-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17
Nah.

I pick my girl, Hillary.
Aw! How sweet.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Cool

I hope Savage Grace will be good. Moore's last movie The Forgotten wasn't that great, although I still enjoyed it.
Julianne Moore is such an amazing actress and so beautiful. I think I could watch her in anything.
I liked The Forgotten, but the ending really left me slack-jawed. Aliens abducting children to conduct experiments on the bond between the kids and their parents? What?! It was so ludicrous. But then I saw A Dirty Shame right afterwards and all was well.

I ordered The Myth of Fingerprints from Amazon this afternoon because it was on the IMDB as the movie of the day and I had forgotten how good she was in that one. I think she was her best in Safe, though (what a disturbing movie that was).

If you want to see a great movie, you should see Wendigo with Patricia Clarkson. I've been telling Amber to see it for weeks, but it's a fantastic movie. I watched it again over the weekend and it's one of those movies where you catch something new each time. I love those kinds of movies.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It had to be ridiculous, that character is ridiculous. Have you read the book, though? There's no possible way that they could have made it anything like the book because Colin Firth is a character in it. The Thailand drug bust was ridiculous, the lesbian lawyer was insipid, but I still laughed.

I didn't go into expecting it to be an Oscar worthy flick, I just wanted to laugh. It made me laugh, so I was happy.
I haven't read the book. I figured the book was probably much better, since books are almost always better than the movies.

Hillary
Old 11-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
It's been the first De Palma movie I've watched (at 11 or 12) and it scared me to death, but at the same I was so impressed: it has definitely fueled my love for movies. My favourite De Palma is Dressed To Kill but Phantom of the Paradise is a close second.

Romy
The first one I saw from DePalma was Sisters with Margot Kidder. That's quite a surreal movie if you haven't seen it, it's very weird. Almost Cronenberg-esque. I saw Phantom of the Paradise only a few years ago and it really surprised me.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:32 PM
trackaghost
Old 11-29-2004, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I liked The Forgotten, but the ending really left me slack-jawed. Aliens abducting children to conduct experiments on the bond between the kids and their parents? What?! It was so ludicrous. But then I saw A Dirty Shame right afterwards and all was well.

I ordered The Myth of Fingerprints from Amazon this afternoon because it was on the IMDB as the movie of the day and I had forgotten how good she was in that one. I think she was her best in Safe, though (what a disturbing movie that was).

If you want to see a great movie, you should see Wendigo with Patricia Clarkson. I've been telling Amber to see it for weeks, but it's a fantastic movie. I watched it again over the weekend and it's one of those movies where you catch something new each time. I love those kinds of movies.
okay, since i love Safe and Myth of, i will really try to get it this weekend!
Old 11-29-2004, 07:37 PM
trackaghost
Old 11-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you seen Far From Heaven, Amber?
If not you need to see that too.
She was MAGNIFICENT in Far From Heaven. What an actress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2004, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wendigo - isn't Jake Weber in that. Bias at all?
Probably a little. But, seriously, it has what I consider to be probably the best scene ever filmed; the son is telling his father about the spirit of the Wendigo and the father explains to him that people don't understand the world, so they make up stories and things to make themselves feel better and more enlightened. Gives me chills.

And the director is nothing short of a genius. Everything means something in it, from the dialogue down to the props. The script is phenomenal. I bought a copy of it when I saw it at the Q&A in New York (along with the comic book, which is fab) and it's just as powerful on the page as it is onscreen. Plus, I think it's the one film that I've seen that *really* captures human relationships in a way that doesn't seem fake or phoney. Love it!

Quote:
Have you seen The Station Agent? Patricia Clarkson is wonderful in that.
I love her. Can't wait to "The Woods" with her and...Bruce Campbell.

Quote:
I got Haute Tension btw, but I haven't watched it yet.
Oy, that movie is disturbing. Let me know what you think of it. The twist is so cheap and ill-conceived, but somehow it works wonderfully. The guy that directed it is now remaking The Hills Have Eyes.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
okay, since i love Safe and Myth of, i will really try to get it this weekend!
But don't read the box, it's very misleading and makes it seem like a cheap horror flick.

I haven't seen Myth in years, so I'm looking forward to getting it.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Have you seen Far From Heaven, Amber?
If not you need to see that too.
No, i know, i have to see it. I have a list about 2 miles long. I'm sorry! I'm having some budgetary issues, as usual. But...which should i see first? Wendigo or Far From Heaven? I actually like Julianne Moore, already....hmmm.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
No, i know, i have to see it. I have a list about 2 miles long. I'm sorry! I'm having some budgetary issues, as usual. But...which should i see first? Wendigo or Far From Heaven? I actually like Julianne Moore, already....hmmm.
Both are fab. Moore was spectacular in Far From Heaven, she had to literally learn a whole new style of acting and she perfected it. Wasn't a fan of Dennis Quaid in it, but everyone else was great.