The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

lol well....this is the person who could not recall who Blue Denim was written about (crystal visions dvd) and had to do the process of elimination to get to lindseys blue eyes so, it must of been about him.

In a few years somebody will ask her about Lindsey and she will say "was he in the bob welch lineup?"
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So a big part of their legacy will be LB would only join if the took Stevie , and ended with Stevie insisting they kick him out. Let THAT sink in.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think the use of "muscle memory" is weird..... like, you'd expect it if he said, "It all was too reminiscent of things in the past" or something. Is he using the word "muscle" to imply there was a physical element to whatever happened?? I would doubt it was someone hitting someone else or something like that, but maybe throwing a guitar??
Mick officially fired Danny Kirwan, who was amazing, but it had to be done. I think it’s his way of saying he’s had to fire an amazing guitarist/songwriter/singer, which he’d rather not have had to do, for the sake of the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Mick officially fired Danny Kirwan, who was amazing, but it had to be done. I think it’s his way of saying he’s had to fire an amazing guitarist/songwriter/singer, which he’d rather not have had to do, for the sake of the band.
He also fired Bob Weston who was not as gifted as Danny ..except when it came to shagging Mick's wife.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

....mick would rather not have to fire somebody, but it had to be done..because it got in the way of the old wallet!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gumby needs new scarves.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
So a big part of their legacy will be LB would only join if the took Stevie , and ended with Stevie insisting they kick him out. Let THAT sink in.
That’s what I answer every time someone says the Buckinghams own everything they have to Stevie.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
You say that as if I expected anything less from Stevie. She decided to quit “touring” with Fleetwood Mac in 1990 with Christine’s road retirement, and promptly went on a solo tour. I was done with her then.

Mick follows the money, since before he was a performer, so why should I expect something different from him now? He picked money over Peter Green, his hero, so why expect anything different from him, now?

But I think a lot of people are now seeing Stevie the way a lot of us have seen her for decades. As someone who was REALLY pissed LBCM wasn’t billed properly last year (and was told it really didn’t matter how it was billed), I’m over the hypocrisy. I learned to be a Fleetwood Mac fan in spite of Stevie decades ago.

I think the world of Mike and Neil, and my curiosity of how they’ll fit in is piqued. It’s not their fault about what happened, and those two with the McVies is exciting enough for me. Not my first choice for how it played out, but one that doesn’t make me want to utterly puke blood, either. I say that because I’d heard about Mike, and thought it was weird, yet not the worst thing to happen to the band. But I dreaded, and I mean REALLY dreaded a sixth member. Neil Finn is probably the single musician that makes me okay with the situation.

In short, I am beyond disappointed that it was Lindsey who got booted. Stevie should have just quit and hired the Heartbreakers to be her band and let the others continue as a creatively viable, working entity. That didn’t happen. The band instead got two great musicians worthy of checking out. Now I have two great shows and not just one. Good to be a fan who accepted the realities of Fleetwood Mac long, long ago.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 04-28-2018 at 07:17 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
Mick said there was no doubt to move on after Lindsey way gone and it needed a lot if thought. It had to be heartfelt and really right for the legacy. There were huge convos about it and it was challenging.
Mick said fired is ugly and not a happy situation and a muscle memory of being hugely not fun. It wasn’t about why couldn’t they wait for him and said they planned the tour for a long time and majority rules. Stevie said he wanted to put off tour and he had a lot of other things he wanted to do.

sorry i havent gone through this whole thread
but this still isn't making sense to me.
if Christine and Lindsey weren't there
WHO is having these LONG conversations about the future of the band

Mike and Neill sound like they had already been invited to the band before Lindsey was actually "let go" or ... at the most like a week after

how much long convos and how much thought went into the band's future in a WEEK?
Old 04-28-2018, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
The interviewer asks how long ago the split happened. They say after Musicares. At one point Stevie says she left for Maui on Feb 4.

The interviewer says, "Prior to that you, you thought the tour was going to be WITH Lindsey?"

Mick starts to say "Well, we, we didn't know we.." and Chris says "Yes" somewhat emphatically. And Mick just keeps continuing: "... had a tour. That was, that was... is..is... part of, of... you know....the 'problem' in terms of where it became a, a, a total impasse. 4 of us... had, had to come to a decision....where we'd planned to be doing uh... a large...you know a huge, lovely, FM tour... and, and Lindsey-- for sure-- had very different opinions about when that should start. And....would.... the whole thing without belaboring it... was, was percolating in a way that was not....was NOT ok... for... the majority of the band, in terms of, of knowing that we were gonna... go on tour, and he had, uh.... for whatever reasons, and Lindsey will, I'm sure, will address it in terms of, of a project he was working on, but it's not about "oh, what, what do you mean...why, why couldn't you wait?" and all that stuff. We planned on doing what we were doing for a long, long time, and... majority rules in terms of what we needed to do as a band, and go forward and, and it,it literally hit a brick wall, uh, after the show, and, and, Fleetwood Mac, it's no..you're sitting there, you're very conversant with the...the strange animal known as 'Fleetwood Mac', and..... really... a lot of other sensibilities... uh, came into... play, where it just wasn't a happy situation... and we... made that decision that we were gonna part company."

Interviewer: so the biggest issue was scheduling the tour... is that how you?.. is that what happened, Stevie, that was the big issue?

And she goes into the June vs November thing

Interviewer "and that's what..."

And she goes into doing her tour, and all that.....schedules. etc..

What were the other sensibilites Mick is talking about? The fact that Stevie couldn't, or wouldn't work with Lindsey anymore? I still feel that The BuckVie collaboration brought out a lot of deep seeded jealousy in Stevie. She never liked the fact that she and Lindsey didn't write songs together. It goes way back to "World Turning", when Lindsey DID write with Christine. And then for him to do a whole album and tour with her, well it proved too much for her ego. Alas, Mike Campbell is in the band, someone she has written with. And is there bad blood between her and Chris? Everyone keeps saying how she is talking over Chris. It's always been one of the prerequisites for Stevie joining the band. She had to get along with Chris. Everyone knew the band would not survive two women who didn't get along!!! And if Chris ever slept with Lindsey or Stevie with John that would be the end of it. You'd think the women in the band are mature enough to avoid this confrontation now. Don't know, maybe the claws are being sharpened.....
Old 04-28-2018, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
here's what's interesting: it's not Lindsey fans that are the most angry about all of this.

i run fb LB group, as some may know. the people who are the most disappointed and the loudest are people who used to be huge Stevie fans and are now seeing her as something they never thought she would become. and BN fans who loved the relationship story permeating so many of this era FM songs. or rumours-era FM fans (vast majority, if you do the math 1975 was a very long time ago, people born after rumours 5 became a band are now in their 40s) who love all 5 and their magic together.

Lindsey fans are on the fence. of course his fans acutely sense the betrayal that Lindsey must feel. the non-respect, unequal treatment and non-appreciation of him by the band - because it's money money money for Mick (like someone here said - when it was between money and Peter Green, he chose money). most of us are not nearly as disappointed in SN, because we never thought that much of her anyway. if we already had some ambivalence about Mick, that now turned into complete disdain. we are worried whether LB is now, when not having the mac machine behind him, vulnerable to little industry games by managers and label that was always a part of messing his output since the mid 90s, because it is obvious that while he may be musical genius he has no business sense whatsoever., and people who he hires to do that part for him seem to be all wrong.

but we are ecstatic that finally - finally! - he is not wasting the little time he has left (you know, 10+ years ) with the stuck in a rut band, trying to push the rock up the hill against the bitter ex who keeps putting weight on that rock, to show him who's the boss now.

he can create now as fast as he wants to, release new music, and bring back into spotlight and on the road his gems from the last 20+ years that had stayed in the shadows because of his relative anonymity. he doesn't have to waste years he doesn't have anymore on the road rehashing old hits just so Mick can fill his coffers, his output in this century has been incredible, and he's on the top of his game. so no, Lindsey fans are just worried that he'll not get his new music out there and will just sit on it like he did at the time of OOTC and GOS. we are worried that instead of getting out there, he'll sit back and wait till this blows over, and that he's probably willing, with the right amount of grovelling to go back to the band that has been the masterpiece of his life's work. i really hope he stays solo from now on (no joining ABBA please!) pushes out all his solo projects now as fasts as possible, and/or does some interesting collaborations with all the different artists who are salivating for the chance to collaborate with him (although he should seek out people, like Bowie always did, instead of sitting back and just saying yes when people to come to him!).

anyway, from this Lindsey fan......... because i saw several times being brought up that "lindsey fans are upset" so hope this helps you see the more rounded picture. of all the different groups of FM fans who are upset now, Lindsey fans are just a small fraction.
Thank you for your insight. I've always, always loved Stevie. I haven't always liked her or agreed with her. I've always loved Lindsey. I love them both. I don't want to be on team Stevie or team Lindsey. I want to be on team FM. I love the solo projects as well as band stuff. I'm greedy--I want it all! A part of me feels liberated for Lindsey. I can't wait to hear new music from him, but he was fired!! And the way he was fired and the why of it is what hurts most.

That's why this is so goddamn depressing and infuriating. This episode is a complete and utter disgrace. All of it makes me sick
Old 04-28-2018, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
What were the other sensibilites Mick is talking about? The fact that Stevie couldn't, or wouldn't work with Lindsey anymore? I still feel that The BuckVie collaboration brought out a lot of deep seeded jealousy in Stevie. She never liked the fact that she and Lindsey didn't write songs together. It goes way back to "World Turning", when Lindsey DID write with Christine. And then for him to do a whole album and tour with her, well it proved too much for her ego. Alas, Mike Campbell is in the band, someone she has written with. And is there bad blood between her and Chris? Everyone keeps saying how she is talking over Chris. It's always been one of the prerequisites for Stevie joining the band. She had to get along with Chris. Everyone knew the band would not survive two women who didn't get along!!! And if Chris ever slept with Lindsey or Stevie with John that would be the end of it. You'd think the women in the band are mature enough to avoid this confrontation now. Don't know, maybe the claws are being sharpened.....
The most gratifying thing about this kind of interviews is the fact that people start realizing what was the initial reason of Lindsey's firing. It's not that complicated, really. Like you said, she couldn't stand seeing Lindsey and Christine working together again, and closer than ever.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 04-28-2018, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Thank you for your insight. I've always, always loved Stevie. I haven't always liked her or agreed with her. I've always loved Lindsey. I love them both. I don't want to be on team Stevie or team Lindsey. I want to be on team FM. I love the solo projects as well as band stuff. I'm greedy--I want it all! A part of me feels liberated for Lindsey. I can't wait to hear new music from him, but he was fired!! And the way he was fired and the why of it is what hurts most.

That's why this is so goddamn depressing and infuriating. This episode is a complete and utter disgrace. All of it makes me sick
This. All of this.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
another interesting part of the interview, when SN is asked how does she feel about touring without LB, considering she has such long history with him.

after going to the whole Fritz and BN story, she finally arrives to the personal relationship, and characterizes it as her only being with him for the music. that as a couple their relationship was never really good and always volatile. the word love never enters her description. i found that striking, considering their WY intro from 2013, when he would always say how much he loved her, and that one time in Germany when she interjected because she doesn't like the package deal thing, he asked her - you loved me too? and i believe she says yes, i loved you too (and goes into moons and stars sowing on his jeans). i find that interesting, that his story always has love when talking about their relationship as a couple. hers now only basically has the Landslide story - i was with this guy for the music, he was gonna get me places.
To be fair she's said that before about their relationship being a lot about the music and she's said he would tell you the same thing. Even not having too much to do with love, but their relationship just got really difficult/unhealthy and that they probably should have broken up earlier but they stuck it out for the music.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I really, REALLY agree with this. At the time the album came out I remember thinking along the lines of 'I don't know why but I think Stevie is not going to be happy about this'. I remember even seeing people are primarily Stevie fans making snarky comments about the album, even though it technically shouldn't affect them at all. But it makes sense, if Stevie's biggest fans got bothered by the album for no reason, of course Stevie would as well. Obviously I have no proof aside from a weird comment she made about it in an interview, but I always thought Stevie would be mad about it and would have a grudge against Lindsey for it.

And then what do you know-- after over 40 years of loving/working/fighting, decades after probably some of the ugliest moments in their relationship during their crazy drug days-- just a mere couple months after the tour for Buckingham McVie happens, is when she finally gets him fired....