The Highwayman
Jane
Races Are Run
Love Is Like a River
I Miss You

ALL of "Out the Cradle" by Lindsey
Old 07-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Straight Back. It should've been a single.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, there's one that strikes me most because of it's energy, and yet it never got any attention, and that's Gold and Braid. The song is just packed with energy, and I feel if it were given the attention it deserves, it would have hit it big. There are many others I feel this way about, but I just think that live version from the 1981 In Concert tape is just great -- it's Stevie summed up in one song. She goes crazy on the tambourine, she belts, she bounces and dances around...this performance had it all.

I noticed you mentioned your shock of Sara being a chart hit Tommer because it doesn't have a chorus. Lyrically, it doesn't have a chorus, but if you listen, the music does loop into verse and chorus. "Drowning in the sea of love..." is the same music as "Said Sara, you're the poet in my heart..." I am admittedly surprised it is one of Stevie's highest chart hits though. I could picture it in the top 20, but when I saw it was #7, I was pretty surprised.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:46 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My picks for most underrated songs would be many of Christine's songs from the Bob Welch era of Fleetwood Mac. There are some real gems on these 5 CDs that hardly anyone has heard. My picks would be:

Spare Me A Little
Did You Ever Love Me
Remember Me
Why
Come A Little Bit Closer
Prove Your Love

I also agree about Brown Eyes being underrated from the Buckingham/Nicks era of Fleetwood Mac.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default i agree...

i think christine was underrated as a member of the band.
i love lindsey and stevie and couldn't pick a favorite between the three of them but it seems to me that the whole rock and roll soap opera aspect of their relationship (stevie and lindsey's) tends to overshadow the wonderful music chris was putting out.

*angie

*Tolkien*
Old 07-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry, but I don't agree with Christine being underrated at all. Yeah, some of her other songs should have been singles, and Stevie took a lot of the spotlight, but Chris had the majority of singles released and the majority of songs on Greatest Hits. Therefore, how could she be underrated? She's certainly not OVERrated, but with her having the most hits, I can't really say she's underrated. I honestly can't say any of the three songwriters are underrated...if there was one, it'd be Lindsey because he did a lot of the producing and "put the magic into Stevie's songs" and everything. I'm not personally a huge fan of Lindsey's songs, but many who are I think would say he's definitely the most underrated. He didn't have too many singles at all, and even less hits. Just my humble opinion and thoughts.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:07 PM
Junior Ledgie

you're right. lindsey didn't get the recognition he deserved for everything he contributed to the mac.
i guess i just meant that so many of the fans are wrapped up in the stevie-lindsey drama that they don't give christine's music nearly as much attention.
ah well. a fleetwood mac fan (for any reason) is better than no fleetwood mac fan at all.

*angie

*Tolkien*
Old 07-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Ledgie

Originially posted by Tommer" i think the fact that Sara, a song which has NO actual chorus managed to become a chart hit is an unprecedented phenomenon."

Considering the fact that this was the follow up single to "Tusk' an even more unconventional song that mangaged to hit the top ten here and in Britain ,i'm not sure that it is all that an unprecedented a phenomenon.
Old 07-20-2002, 03:56 PM
Junior Ledgie

My picks are:
Warm Ways - I feel like I am floating with the tide when I here this.

You'll Never Make Me Cry - It is so ironic.

Save Me A Place - I overlooked it for so many years.

arnold
Old 07-21-2002, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought Affairs of The Heart was a good tune from Stevie nicks. Never did understand why her contributions to the album Behind The Mask were ignored. Silver Springs and Seven Wonders are tow of Stevies best songs with Fleetwood Mac. I never understand why they only ever had one # 1 single? I mean come on they have had so many worthy hits that should have topped the charts ( Sara , Little Lies, Gold Dust Woman, Over My Head, Second Hand News, Gypsy, Skies The Limit, Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Landslide, Songbird, The Chain)
Old 07-22-2002, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nicks Fan
I always thought Affairs of The Heart was a good tune from Stevie nicks. Never did understand why her contributions to the album Behind The Mask were ignored. Silver Springs and Seven Wonders are tow of Stevies best songs with Fleetwood Mac. I never understand why they only ever had one # 1 single? I mean come on they have had so many worthy hits that should have topped the charts ( Sara , Little Lies, Gold Dust Woman, Over My Head, Second Hand News, Gypsy, Skies The Limit, Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Landslide, Songbird, The Chain)
With regard to "Affairs of the Heart"- DITTO!!! I always liked that song, although I find it interesting that she ripped off Bob Dylan, who previously ripped off Lord Byron.

FM's singles problem is primarily a matter of timing. Before SoundScan, singles were their own entity and were very powerful in terms of sales and influence. FM is/was an AOR band, so their product was promoted primarily as an album. Singles in the 70's and early 80's were from people like Debby Boone and Andy Gibb. Just like FM, groups like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd had monster albums, but little in terms of singles.

Now in the SoundScan era, singles are based on either airplay OR sales. Most singles sales are from dance/club related artists. Most singles airplay is dominated by corporate control (Clear Channel, etc.).

Soooo, FM was shafted on the singles front for their entire career. Which is no biggie because they ARE an album based band, anyway. Who on earth would want to see them in the same pool as Britney Spears and N Sync?!?!?? Not me....
Old 07-22-2002, 06:30 PM
Ledgie

Good point Tower,Fleetwood MAc are an album oriented band and in this mileu they enjoyed stunning success,after all Rumours was the biggest selling rock album ever,it;s singles and album cuts enjoyed more airplay and for a much longer time than many number one singles by pop acts,anyone heard 'Under Cover Angel' a number one hit form the summer of '77 on the radio lately?Or for that matter 3 months after it was number one?

Last edited by Robert; 07-22-2002 at 07:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2002, 02:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
NicksFan: Never did understand why her contributions to the album Behind The Mask were ignored.
1) Her voice was at it's all-time worst

2) Her songwriting at that point really stunk compared to her earlier works

That point in time, she was really at a low ebb in her personal life as well...the drugs (prescription or street, or both), her health (the Epstein-Barr syndrome, etc)...all were factors...plus, by the late-80s/early 90s, Stevie Nicks & Fleetwood Mac were "unhip dinosaurs"...there were new sounds, new genres of music sprouting up, plus, a whole new demographic of music consumers were coming of age.

"Welcome To The Room...Sara"
"When I See You Again"
"The Second Time"
all of "Other Side Of The Mirror"

Probably her worst
Old 07-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Lows

I agree that Stevie was at her "lowest" for Tango... However, I beg
to differ for OSOTM & BTM... To me, there are some shining spots on OSOTM...
"Rooms","LWTG","Juliet" and lately "Doing The Best That I Can" has been
sounding pretty heavy... As far as her material from BTM, I agree that it
may not be her strongest material, but it's far from inferior to me. There's
a kind of determined sound to her voice like, "Yes, Lindsey I CAN function without you..."
Like she had something to proove...
Old 07-23-2002, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Yes I agree that some of the marerial she produced from 87-94 wasn't all that good. I still think she had some great material. (Rooms on Fire, Seven Wonders, Affairs of The Heart, Blue Denim, Sometimes's It's A Bitch,"Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind, Fire Burning"). I will admit that the two solo albums Street Angel and The Other Side of The Mirror pale in comparison to the her other albums but I wouldn't say they are awful.