Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The album feels uneven.

Well I like almost all Lindseys song on the album and his songs would make an excellent solo album. I thought Lindsey should of had 4 singles from this album, but radio put them out to pasture.

I don't think Stevie's songs are as good as his. The production on Illume and Thrown Down is stellar but I don't like the lyrics at all. Doesn't make a lick of sense, and if someone has to constantly explain the meaning of a song, there is a problem. I think the song Goodbye Baby is very weak. I like the words to Silver Girl, but its blah. Everybody Finds Out doesn't feel right on Fleetwood Mac Album. Neither does Running through the Garden. I do think that her work on this album was better than TISL. Destiny Rules was my favorite song from her on this album.

They just don't sound like a group.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember being so excited about coming to Bleed to Love her.....And then my face just Deflating. Lindsey.......What. Did. You. Do????? Talk about killing a song with just so many layers of crap. First Buckingham guitar solo that was boring too.

I'll stick to the Dance on this one.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've come to really appreciate Say You Will. It has so much music. Generous! It's uneven and occasionally scattershot but overall the quality is pretty high. It's certainly the best MAC studio album since Mirage, I think.

But I was--and continue to be--way more amped about In the Meantime, which has more classic Mac music on it than the actual Mac album.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all of Stevie's songs on the album (and yes there songs of hers I don't like) including Not Make Believe which should have been a single imo. I also usually like a lot of Lindsey's stuff (I love all 3 of his compositions on the EP) but only Miranda, Bleed To Love Her, and Steal Your Heart Away really do anything for me - although I can tolerate WTWCT and Peacekeeper. I do like the live version of Say Goodbye. The rest just don't speak to me.

Single choices imho:

Thrown Down
Miranda
Say You Will
Steal Your Heart Away
Not Make Believe
Bleed To Love Her
Running Through The Garden
Goodbye Baby

I go back and forth on Destiny Rules and Everybody Finds Out. But bottom line that's how strong I think Stevie's contributions were.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
A better album would have been:

1. Right Place to Fade
2. Say You Will
3. Bleed to Lover Her
4. What's the World Coming To
5. Thrown Down
6. Peacekeeper
7. Illume
8. Red Rover
9. Destiny Rules
10. Steal Your Heart Away
11. Say Goodbye
12. Everybody Finds Out
13. Goodbye Baby

I might play around with the sequence a bit more. "Come" has never done it for me. "Miranda" is a cool song but would have worked better as a Lindsey solo track. I might have used "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" instead of "Bleed to Love Her," but I do love the studio version of the song.

I'm not crazy about "Illume" for two reasons: The guitars sound a little plastic to me and the lyrics make me cringe but the track does have a cool, weird vibe with subtle Middle Eastern accents, so it would stay.

Someone made a point about singles. Not only has FM kind of lost its way on picking the right singles but track sequencing has also been poor. I know Lindsey wanted to make a point with Murrow, but the song didn't belong where it is, and "What's the World Coming To," though pleasant enough, is almost too bland for a first track. "Right Place to Fade" would have been a perfect opener.
I remember when Say You Will came out being disappointed that "Right Place to Fade" (or "Twist of Fate" as I knew it at the time) was not on there. I thought it would've fit perfectly. I was disappointed again when Under the Skin came out and then finally glad to finally see it when Gift of Screws came out.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
I remember being so excited about coming to Bleed to Love her.....And then my face just Deflating. Lindsey.......What. Did. You. Do????? Talk about killing a song with just so many layers of crap. First Buckingham guitar solo that was boring too.
Yeah, my feelings exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
...but I don't like the lyrics at all. Doesn't make a lick of sense, and if someone has to constantly explain the meaning of a song, there is a problem.
This is something keen to pick up on. When people don't get what the person is singing about, then their ideas don't translate and the music fails to resonate as strongly with the target audience. The singles have to do that first and foremost. As much as I love the opening to Thrown Down and think it's a really catchy song, there are certainly some weird lyric choices. Apparently, some people think this song (along with Fall From Grace) was written about what may have happened in 1997. That Lindsey had been flirting with Stevie during The Dance (see the 5-member interview on YouTube), and they quite possibly rekindled their relationship in an affair when Lindsey found out his girlfriend was pregnant. I asked about this in the Stevie and Lindsey intimacy thread, and it seems like it is a theory that's been around. But for the casual listener, can they actually get any sense of that through the song?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post

I'll stick to the Dance on this one.

Mick
Huh. I just don't get it. I just went back and listened to Bleed to Love Her on "The Dance" again, and I honestly don't hear how the live version is so much better. I do agree that Lindsey's vocal is rawer on the live version and maybe too processed on SYW. But apart from that one element, I prefer the production on the studio track. I *love* the extended ending, from the texture of the guitar to the solo itself. And I don't hear the mechanized percussion others have mentioned, except a bit near the beginning before Mick kicks in, and it just doesn't bother me there. For me, the SYV version of Bleed to Love Her is one of Lindsey's all-time high points with Mac.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The white horse stuck out like a pink elephant. It was such a horrendous and incongruent choice for her. It certainly surprised me.

Michele
I love the cover of IYD. The white horse is representative of Rhiannon, who rode about on a white horse.

Stevie's still *really* into that mythology, even though she rarely speaks of it any longer.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
Huh. I just don't get it. I just went back and listened to Bleed to Love Her on "The Dance" again, and I honestly don't hear how the live version is so much better. I do agree that Lindsey's vocal is rawer on the live version and maybe too processed on SYW. But apart from that one element, I prefer the production on the studio track. I *love* the extended ending, from the texture of the guitar to the solo itself. And I don't hear the mechanized percussion others have mentioned, except a bit near the beginning before Mick kicks in, and it just doesn't bother me there. For me, the SYV version of Bleed to Love Her is one of Lindsey's all-time high points with Mac.
I definitely think the ending of the studio version is better. And the bridge is pushing his vocal range a bit on The Dance version. Otherwise, they're equal to me.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

Say You Will was the first Fleetwood Mac album that came out when I was a big fan. For me it was like an event, and it was around my birthday and I played it that whole month of May....and then in the middle of that month, that was when the tour was in my area and I saw two shows. So it was like this fan-overload for me, and that MAY have biased why I loved this album SO much. All of the above played its part: first album as a real fan, a tour right away to hear these songs live --so soon into getting the album, and all of this feeling like a great b-day present. For others who have been a fan since the beginning, maybe this album fell short for you, or was too all-over-the place. For ME, it was 18 songs of ecstacy LOL. I mean the album went on and on.

Parts of it seemed like a Trouble In Shangri-La Part 2. But I loved that album too. I got into that WAY more than I could with In Your Dreams. So I really loved Stevie's songs on SYW. And Lindsey's were all good too.

Yes it may be like two solo albums together, but when you have Stevie's vocals in the background on a Lindsey song, and vice versa, and then the production factor, well...then it becomes FM. And finally Sad Angel brings some of that back for me this year!

Last edited by AbbiJoy78; 05-10-2013 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I love the cover of IYD. The white horse is representative of Rhiannon, who rode about on a white horse.

Stevie's still *really* into that mythology, even though she rarely speaks of it any longer.
And Stevie does use that imagery in her concert drawings that play behind the songs. Rhiannon is sharp-featured, hooded, mysterious in those drawings, but on the album cover, Stevie doesn't look like Rhiannon to me. She looks like a peasant woman.

Michele
Old 05-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
Say You Will was the first Fleetwood Mac album that came out when I was a big fan. For me it was like an event,
Yes, I can understand this. It's how I felt about Mirage. I became a fan before it was released and it was the first album I had time to anticipate. I used to go to the library and look at Billboard, because a subscription was too much for me to afford and I'd go to the record store and they would have these "new release" press memos that I would ask the clerk if I could see. I was just waiting for it.

Michele
Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And Stevie does use that imagery in her concert drawings that play behind the songs. Rhiannon is sharp-featured, hooded, mysterious in those drawings, but on the album cover, Stevie doesn't look like Rhiannon to me. She looks like a peasant woman.
Michele
I'm thinking that she would disagree.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
I'm thinking that she would disagree.
She looks like a midwife who rode 10 miles to deliver the villager's baby.

But that makes me think of what Stevie would be like in the delivery room. I remember that time she said that she and someone else visited Robin in the hospital and the doctor took Robin's temp and it was normal, but Stevie's was high.

I could see her in the room when some woman went into labor. Stevie would be convinced that she was having contractions.

Michele
Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She looks like a midwife who rode 10 miles to deliver the villager's baby.
Oh come on. No peasant woman was ever so clean or had hair so smoothly brushed. Or a dress so finely made. And certainly, no peasant owned such a perfectly shiny white horse with a halo that followed them around.