User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Guitar Signed by Band up for Auction $300

[From an Email from Gina Porcaro regarding a charity auction]

We are running a holiday auction where 100% of the proceeds are going toward cancer research. We have a signed guitar with the entire band for literally $300 right now . . . It's only open for another 5 days, so this can potentially go for super cheap.

Here is a link to view it and the details:

http://www.cmarket.com/auction/item/...n?id=101353775

I hope we can get some more bidders involved on an awesome item and for a great cause.

--Gina
Old 12-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, at least the guitar body itself is autographed... Typically a lame-o way of obtaining autographs is to have the artist sign the pick guard or some other replaceable part, so this is at least remarkable to a degree. That being said, um, BREAST cancer research? For reals? Yes, it is a widespread disease and can be devastating to the patient. But through increased awareness, detection and breakthroughs in treatments, the long-term survival rate compared to most other forms of cancer is quite high. There are far more deadly forms of cancer that continue to elude researchers. It's just frustrating to me that so much of this research money and publicity is being thrown at a disease that is relatively well managed today.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
That being said, um, BREAST cancer research? For reals? Yes, it is a widespread disease and can be devastating to the patient. But through increased awareness, detection and breakthroughs in treatments, the long-term survival rate compared to most other forms of cancer is quite high. There are far more deadly forms of cancer that continue to elude researchers. It's just frustrating to me that so much of this research money and publicity is being thrown at a disease that is relatively well managed today.
Tell that to someone suffering from breast cancer, or someone who has lost a loved one to the disease.. it's just as worthy of fundraising as any other life-threatening illness.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCharmer View Post
Tell that to someone suffering from breast cancer, or someone who has lost a loved one to the disease.. it's just as worthy of fundraising as any other life-threatening illness.
Yeah, and how do you think it became better managed???? BECAUSE of research dollars!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
Yeah, and how do you think it became better managed???? BECAUSE of research dollars!
So... I guess we should be throwing more research money at rabies and polio too . I'm not saying that breast cancer has been cured. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, there are far more deadly, less understood forms of cancer that are not receiving as much attention. Yes, we should be thankful for the diagnostic and treatment options we have for breast cancer and perhaps increase the awareness and prevention side of things rather than the treatment side (which the drug companies are doing without donations already).