Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I cannot wait to see this film.
It looks awful. The record producer in the commercial saying "we can't have a 6-minute song" -- in the 70s???!!!

phony

Bryan Singer has never made a watchable film.

And that actor is freaky looking and too short for the role.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It looks awful. The record producer in the commercial saying "we can't have a 6-minute song" -- in the 70s???!!!

phony

The record producer is played by Mike Myers in a very comedic cameo. Yes, in the 70's it was (as it always has been) difficult to get radio airplay for long songs. Though it was a prime example of the prog rock of that time, generally prog rock bands such as Yes, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELP etc, tended to focus more on album releases rather than single songs. Queen found it difficult to convince their record company to release the song and had to rely on the support of eccentric English DJ Kenny Everett.

I can't say I've watched any other Bryan Singer films except The Usual Suspects. That was a pretty brilliant film. That said, its difficult to determine how much of this was Bryan Singer and how much was Dexter Fletcher who took over part-way through.

Rami Malek was great for the role of Freddie Mercury and was only just a tiny bit shorter than Freddie in real life. Freddie was 5ft 10''
He was freaky looking???? Freddie Mercury didn't exactly blend into a crowd

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-26-2018, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

phony

Are you know kidding?Xmen 2 is the best X men film and he directed it.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

We did make it out to see Bad Times at the El Royale. I enjoyed it. Somewhere between a B+ and an A- maybe? Lots of twists and turns, some shocking moments, a little bit of mystery as to which historical figure a certain object pertains to... It was one of those movies that you have to discuss with your fellow attendees for a bit afterwards. Everyone had theories about certain issues. The fact that the location was based on the famous Cal Neva resort (once owned by Frank Sinatra) added a little bit of interest as well. I wouldn't want to lead anyone wrong, but I liked it.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
We did make it out to see Bad Times at the El Royale. I enjoyed it. Somewhere between a B+ and an A- maybe? Lots of twists and turns, some shocking moments, a little bit of mystery as to which historical figure a certain object pertains to... It was one of those movies that you have to discuss with your fellow attendees for a bit afterwards. Everyone had theories about certain issues. The fact that the location was based on the famous Cal Neva resort (once owned by Frank Sinatra) added a little bit of interest as well. I wouldn't want to lead anyone wrong, but I liked it.
Was it repetitive?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Was it repetitive?
No, I didn't get that out of it.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you know kidding?Xmen 2 is the best X men film and he directed it.
That's not exactly saying much

(though catch my review of X-Men 2 in my book The Community of Desire -- available at lulu.com)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

30. Suspiria, grade B- = warning; you probably won’t like this movie. It’s a pretentious art house film and a very long one. If there is one word to describe it it is ALOOF. Nothing about it is obvious except for the striking visuals. It feels like we are eavesdropping into conversations and that is how we learn about the plot. The ending, like the plot, isn’t easy to understand.

If you are a fan of the original 1977 film, which is a classic, it doesn’t have that much in common in with it, except little plot pieces here and there. The 1977 movie is a lot more enjoyable than this film, but this film may be more interesting in the long run. If you are a fan Of the Three Mother’s Trilogy, this movie is more like Suspiria’s sequals Inferno and Mother of Tears, which are less obvious and full of symbolism. In fact, this movie does feel like a Dario Argento film, just not his best one, the original Suspiria.

That being said, this movie feels Fresh and different than anything out there and I left the theater thinking I had seen something new- a cold, hollow, visually striking, interesting horror film with absolutely no heart. Nothing quite like it.

(I'm experimenting with youtube.)

Last edited by Jondalar; 11-04-2018 at 12:09 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

31. Bohemian Rhapsody, grade C- or maybe a D + = I had high hopes for this movie buts it’s a big disappointment. The movie just falls flat. It’s not directed very well but the actors try hard. The movie �� s very forgettable. Enough said.

(I'm experimenting with youtube. Trying to decide what I want to do with my channel. I figure I see soo many movies. Maybe post a few reviews.)

Last edited by Jondalar; 11-05-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Old 11-05-2018, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
31. Bohemian Rhapsody, grade C- or maybe a D + = I had high hopes for this movie buts it’s a big disappointment. The movie just falls flat. It’s not directed very well but the actors try hard. The movie 🎥 s very forgettable. Enough said.
Thanks for confirming what I suspected from the trailer.
Came across as nothing more than a telemovie.
A well-made documentary or some sort of concept film based on the musical would have been a better move, presumably. I thought Brian May had more artistic sense than that; but after all the development hell, maybe the final product is far from his initial vision.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
A well-made documentary or some sort of concept film based on the musical would have been a better move, presumably. I thought Brian May had more artistic sense than that; but after all the development hell, maybe the final product is far from his initial vision.
It felt like every scene was staged and fake and seemed like a made for tv movie.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Someone told me recently that they had heard an interview with Brian May where he said his vision for the project was to have Freddie die halfway through the movie and have the rest be about what Queen did afterwards. Sounded like Brian wanted much less focus on Freddie but lost that battle.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That being said, this movie feels Fresh and different than anything out there and I left the theater thinking I had seen something new- a cold, hollow, visually striking, interesting horror film with absolutely no heart. Nothing quite like it.

(I'm experimenting with youtube.)
Good job, Jondalar. You're thoughtful. I've been curious about this remake. I'm not a giallo aficionado, but Bava's Blood and Black Lace is great.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-08-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
31. Bohemian Rhapsody, grade C- or maybe a D + = I had high hopes for this movie buts it’s a big disappointment. The movie just falls flat. It’s not directed very well but the actors try hard. The movie �� s very forgettable. Enough said.

(I'm experimenting with youtube. Trying to decide what I want to do with my channel. I figure I see soo many movies. Maybe post a few reviews.)

Each to their own. I enjoyed this very much. I know what you mean when you refer to it being a 'Made for TV biopic', but I think that's largely down to some of the British tongue in cheek humour they've deliberately built into this movie. Perhaps it doesn't translate that well to American audiences. When I watched it here in the UK there was a big round of applause at the end. I think the issue is this isn't a film about Freddie Mercury...its a film about Queen. It's made by the remaining members and perhaps that serves to sanitize things a bit. It's in their interests to open up a new group of people to Queen's music and I think its a good film for people who don't really know them very well.
In terms of cinematography... I don't know what you were watching for the last 30 minutes. For me, that whole Live Aid section was incredible.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 11-27-2018, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Each to their own. I enjoyed this very much. I know what you mean when you refer to it being a 'Made for TV biopic', but I think that's largely down to some of the British tongue in cheek humour they've deliberately built into this movie. Perhaps it doesn't translate that well to American audiences. When I watched it here in the UK there was a big round of applause at the end. I think the issue is this isn't a film about Freddie Mercury...its a film about Queen. It's made by the remaining members and perhaps that serves to sanitize things a bit. It's in their interests to open up a new group of people to Queen's music and I think its a good film for people who don't really know them very well.
In terms of cinematography... I don't know what you were watching for the last 30 minutes. For me, that whole Live Aid section was incredible.
There was applause from some members of the audience in my theater too, but like you said, to each their own. This movie felt staged and fake. I liked the stadium scene too but it was out of place and came out of nowhere.