The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Matt: How involved are you in the recording process as far as the technical side of things goes? Do you like to choose your own mics and set them up to your specs, or do you like to sit back and let the engineers do their thing while you focus more on the musical side of the process?

Christian: Yeah I’m involved in pretty much everything. I produced this record so I was right in there working on all levels. We had a great engineer on this record, Jeremy Blair, who worked with Guns n Roses, Zack Wylde and a bunch of other big bands. He worked at a place in L.A., that’s closed now, called Rumble, where he worked with a lot of famous groups, so it was great having him involved in the recording process. He knows all about what mics to use and where to put them for all of our instruments, guitar, bass, drums etc.

I know what works for guitar. I have my Randall signature stacks and my Jackson guitars, which are like the Ferrari’s and Bentley’s of amps and guitars, so we have great equipment, which really helps. My drummer, Raymond, owns Fleetwood Mac’s old studio, where we keep our gear set up and can go in anytime to record or work out tracks, which is a great thing to have when working on a new album.

http://modernguitarist.guitarinterna...-olde-wolbers/
Old 09-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

September 29, 2009 10:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Maple Jam Music Group Announces Passing of President and Grammy Award-Winning Producer, Greg Ladanyi
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Statement from MAPLE JAM MUSIC GROUP:

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Maple Jam Music Group President, Greg Ladanyi, today, at the age of 57. Ladanyi sustained severe head trauma following an on-stage accident last Friday in the Greek Republic of Cyprus. Ladanyi was immediately rushed to a local hospital where he remained in critical condition over the weekend. He was in Cyprus touring with Maple Jam Music artist, Anna Vissi.

Ladanyi, a Grammy Award-winning producer, has spent his entire professional career engineering, mixing and producing for the greatest artists in the entertainment industry. Ladanyi was widely known for his production and engineering work with musical greats Jackson Browne (six albums, including “Running on Empty”, “Holding Out”, and “Lawyers in Love”), Toto (four albums, including “Toto IV”), Don Henley (three albums, including “Building the Perfect Beast”), Fleetwood Mac (“Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits” and “Behind the Mask”), The Church (“Starfish”), Jeff Healey (“See the Light”), and Jaguares (“Bajo el Azul de Tu Misterio”). His most recent work was with Anna Vissi and her Greek album, “Apagorevmeno”.

With 40 years in the entertainment industry, Ladanyi has contributed to various high-end projects, with his work leading to 16 Grammy nominations, being directly nominated three times. He won a Grammy Award in 1982 for Best Engineered Recording – Non-Classical with Toto’s, “Toto IV” and nominated for Producer of The Year for Don Henley’s “The Boys Of Summer” and Jaguares, Best Rock Album, “Bajo el Azul de Tu Misterio” at the 1st Annual Latin Grammy Awards.

As president of Maple Jam Music Group, Ladanyi evolved the company from the original Maple Jam Records label founded in 2004 to a full service entertainment entity that works hand-in-hand with the artist to fully develop their careers. As a home to many established and up-and-coming artists we will continue to move forward, keeping Greg Ladanyi’s legacy alive.

Plans for a private memorial service are pending

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...71&newsLang=en
Old 09-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This day in history:

http://birminghamseagle.com/news/ech0930.html

Fleetwood Mac's reunion show at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, N.J., grosses a house record of $1,094,520.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another band with "wimpish" overtones, their history is a little convoluted but guitarist Brian "Chuck" Botfield appears to be the main constant for a group who have had more than their fair share of personnel changes. Botfield and future Berrie Geoff Turton both attended Turves Green School and upon leaving, Botfield formed a skiffle group called “The Bobcats”, a band that at one point included a young female piano player called Christine Perfect, who for the uninitiated became Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac.

http://toptwentyclub.blogspot.com/20...ists-1964.html
Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heavy metal masterminds Metallica anchored KFMA Day 2008 in what turned out to be one of Tucson's biggest-ever concerts.

By some reports, 28,000 people showed up for the daylong rock fest at Pima County Fairgrounds, which lists its concert capacity at 24,000. That would make it the second biggest concert event in Tucson history, behind the 1977 Fleetwood Mac show that brought out 67,000 to Arizona Stadium.

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/contests/index.php?id=337
Old 10-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From a UK business article about a taxi firm:

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/business...1140-24820135/

He also tells how Fleetwood Mac would regularly travel Blue Line to a recording studio close to the firm’s home off Wallsend High Street.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

idk if this counts as one, but in the season one second episode of nip / tuck one of the doctors says "What happened to the girl I knew who would sing Fleetwood Mac at the top of her lungs even though she was tone deaf." and it had another scene which played Over my Head during it.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What Laura Says is currently touring and plugging last year's release of a remastered version of their 2007 debut album. The disc showcases their delightfully strange relationship with the song form, as the album-opening "Couldn't Lose Myself If I Tried" loses itself in a most inspired way: careening through five radically different sections in slightly more than three minutes. It also displays the band's knack for baroque-pop harmonies and rustic instrumentation (banjos, ukuleles, coffee cans).

If the band's Brian-Wilson-goes-bluegrass sensibility feels a bit schizophrenic, there's a good reason for that. What Laura Says is really the product of two different bands—an offbeat pop duo called What Laura Says Thinks and Feels, and a dirty blues trio called the Expatriates. Their union is similar to the old Fleetwood Mac tale of Mick Fleetwood visiting Keith Olsen's SoCal recording studio in 1974. While Olsen showed off the studio's excellent sound by playing him a track from a duo called Buckingham Nicks, Fleetwood focused all his attention on how much he liked the guitar player, and it wasn't long before he asked him to join his band.

What Laura Says Thinks and Feels was created by singer-songwriters Danny Godbold and James Mulhern, who both played guitar and piano and shared vocals. The aptly named Expatriates featured three Grand Rapids, Mich., transplants: Freedom, his high-school pal Brad Muller on guitar and vocals, and Muller's brother Greg on drums. When Brad got a job as a regional sales rep for Blue Bell Ice Cream, he no longer had time for music, and the remaining Expatriates realized they'd hit a plateau.

"Blues-rock wasn't really happening in Phoenix," Freedom says. "It was totally awesome for us and our core audience, but as far as getting into the music scene in Phoenix, we weren't a jam band, and we weren't scream, and we weren't underground enough for some of the younger kids to grab onto."

More than three years ago, a mutual friend put the members of Laura Says Thinks and Feels in the same room with the remaining Expatriates.

"She was recording us, and she was also roommates with Danny and James ... ," Freedom recalls. "She saw their need for a rhythm section and saw Greg and I not really getting into what we were doing."

By that point, Godbold and Mulhern had already pieced together most of the tracks for their debut album, but Freedom and Muller encouraged them to supplement that material with some choice unrecorded songs. The resulting album never stops throwing aural surprises at you, and its most consistent delight comes from the intricate, layered harmonies of Godbold, Mulhern and Freedom. You can hear it in the spacy, XTC-ish pop of "July 23," and the spare, near-a cappella "Wish I Could."

http://www.tucsonweekly.com/tucson/d...nt?oid=1400033
Old 10-02-2009, 04:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The song ‘At the Cut’ sounds so influenced by Lindsey Buckingham, even the way you project your voice. Who do you hope people will hear in your music?

Pete Quirk: Well, I don’t know. I’ve always listened to Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac and stuff like that. It’s funny because I never thought my voice sounded much like his, but I get that a lot, which is definitely a compliment because he’s got a great voice. But he’s an influence for sure. That’s just what I sound like.

Even the little ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ on that song though…

Pete Quirk: The little yelps and everything—it’s just something to do instead of singing words or sitting through breaks, using your voice more for rhythm than carrying a message. I don’t really try to sound like anybody because I think if you try you just end up sounding bad, you know? I think in other bands it was different because I was trying to sound like someone else, whereas now I’m just trying to sing as honestly as possible.

http://larecord.com/interviews/2009/...alf-gibberish/
Old 10-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Phil Everly wants a dance song:

In the early 70s Warren Zevon played with the Everly Brothers and by 1975, he and his wife were living in Phil Everly’s guesthouse. Phil asked Warren and songwriting partner Leroy "Roy" Marinell to write a song for his upcoming solo album. He asked them to write him a dance song.
"Something like ‘Werewolves Of London’" is what Phil said. Later, at Roy’s house as they began writing, guitarist Robert ‘Wadded’ Wachtel joined them to add the "Aah-Ooh Werewolves of London". According to Zevon, the first verse was written spontaneously and entirely by Waddy. The three finished the song in 20 minutes.
The track was recorded with Waddy, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie (of Fleetwood Mac fame) and produced by friend Jackson Browne. Werewolves of London hit Number 21 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Number 15 on the Cashbox charts in April 1978.
The song eventually reached Number 8 and went gold. As a result, his album Excitable Boy became a Top Ten record and remains his best-selling album to date. Thanks to Phil.

http://halloweenradio.blogspot.com/2...t-monster.html
Old 10-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac – Rhiannon
When I was running in a student council election back in my university days, I was out campaigning and I introduced myself to a girl who told me her name was Rhiannon. I responded “have you heard the Fleetwood Mac song “Rhiannon”, to which she replied, tersely, “everyone says that to me”. Suffice to say, I’m pretty sure she didn’t vote for me. True story. If you’re reading this, sorry about that, Rhiannon.

http://alexabboud.wordpress.com/2009...-a-girls-name/
Old 10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at a wedding where the bride had her girlfriend sing Fleetwood Mac's "Songbird" and HOLY TOLEDO SHE WAS SO OFF KEY IT WAS TRAUMATIZING.

http://community.livejournal.com/the.../69438474.html
Old 10-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I was at a wedding where the bride had her girlfriend sing Fleetwood Mac's "Songbird" and HOLY TOLEDO SHE WAS SO OFF KEY IT WAS TRAUMATIZING.

http://community.livejournal.com/the.../69438474.html
That's hilarious!
Old 10-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

'The 11th Hour' (RTE 2, Wednesday) - Dave Fanning is back with a brand new series bringing some of the hottest new music along with interviews from the biggest artists and specially recorded performances from some of the bands of the moment.

This week Fanning talks to Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham from Fleetwood Mac, who play a couple of sold-out shows in Dublin's O2 later this month. 'The 11th Hour' will also feature music from Bat For Lashes, Air and Julie Feeney, along with a report on the making of Lady Gaga's album.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/plus/st...box-this-week/
Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks is a great American composer, whose credibility has been stepped on by over exposure. Perhaps it’s the fact that her songs get played on the radio every 20 minutes, and this somehow minimizes her genius. In 1999 – HappyParts listened to Fleetwood Mac and Rumors albums daily for 6 months. True story. With each listen - I became fascinated by Stevie Nick’s ability to wrap blues into pop melodies. She painted stories in song, deeply personal, spiritual and some might say auto-biographical. Stevie Nicks is a American treasure.

http://blograge.wordpress.com/2009/1...-stevie-nicks/