Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Track Talk: You Need Love

This is a real bootleg gem from the BBC sessions.
What do you think of it??
It's a real foot-tapper, as one of the comments on this youtube link says.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIKu-EfgXfs

I love how the solo keeps to the theme, without drifting too far away... That's the thing, really. Peter was probably THE most able guitarist to do free form improvisations (ok, I know about Hendrix, Clapton, Garcia and several jazz guitarist... but anyway!! )
But Green really knew to keep it simple too!
I'm not sure if it is Danny who is playing the main riff, or it's Peter doing an overdub??? I don't have the recording date here in front of me right now. It could have been recorded before Danny joined.

I love his singing on this one too. Real rocker... Don't you smile when you hear "so nice, so nice, hahaha..." around 2:28. "I wanna give you some LOVE..."

I prefer this one to any other version, i.e. Led Zeppelin or others.
In some ways this one reminds me of Splinter Group's "Shake Your Hips".

Last edited by dansven; 04-02-2014 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes I love this !This is the first time I've heard it !

Peter (if it is Peter) is using an uncharacteristic " treble boosted tone .I say" if it is Peter" , because he would be much more likely to be happy doing the monotonous work of the backing riff On the other hand ,it's unlikely that Peter would sing but not do the lead breaks.

Perhaps this is where Danny got the idea for the riff of Like it This Way ?(All the right notes but not neccesarilly in the right order !)

Obviously Led Zep ripped off this song to produce A Whole Lotta Love ,but in doing so ,took the intrinsic euphamism of the original to another level !!
Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Ledgie

Yes - a great, groovy track!
Isn´t it from the first BBC session featuring Danny, August 27 1968?

Now, as to where Led Zeppelin took their version...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp0jZ4BGuDw
Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for this Rubber Duck
Even at my advanced age and though I love the Small Faces , this is a new track for me ! What a great performance from Steve Marriot You're right- no doubt now about where Plant got his vocal treatment from !
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default A (not so) brief history of the song...

In 1962, Willie Dixon got Chess Records to lease a couple of backing tracks from an earlier session that he had produced and played on for Mel London, featuring Earl Hooker. He wrote lyrics for each and gave them to Muddy Waters to record. The results were ‘You Need Love’, based on a Hooker instrumental, and ‘You Shook Me’, a variation on ‘Rock Me Baby’ credited to Dixon and J.B. Lenoir. (Hooker’s original instrumental track for the latter was released as ‘Blue Guitar’ on London’s Age label).
Chess released ‘You Shook Me’ as the B-side to ‘Muddy Waters Twist’, while ‘You Need Love’ was treated with a little more respect and was paired with ‘Little Brown Bird’.
In 1964, the Pye label in England released the four tracks as an EP and the two Hooker pieces were soon picked up on by a number of budding English blues fans.
In 1966 The Small Faces cut ‘You Need Love’ for their first LP, recasting it as a hard R & B number, complete with hand claps and gritty organ, (while the arrangement was original, and surprisingly effective, simply re-titling the number ‘You Need Loving’ did not justify Steve Marriott and Ronnie Lane nicking the writing credit).
Savoy Brown’s 1968 recording (it was released in July of that year) allowed ample time for not only a guitar solo from the recently added “Lonesome” Dave Peverett, but also a bass solo and a drum solo (the rhythm section was also new).
As was vocalist Chris Youlden and while he proved to be a very good blues singer the tempo was far too fast to be sexy (reminiscent of the early Rolling Stones cover of Muddy Waters’ ‘I Just Want to Make Love to You’).
The most famous “cover” of the song takes the opposite tack, slowing the beat, and intensifying the attack.
As with The Small Faces recording, Led Zeppelin could honestly claim the title and arrangement of ‘Whole Lotta Love’ was their own but the lyrics were still Dixon’s. Dixon successfully sued, and settled out of court, and his name has since been reinstated on the writing credits.
The use of Zeppelin’s title on bootlegs and its subsequent appearance in various sources most likely stems as much from the novelty value of the idea that Fleetwood Mac covered a “Led Zeppelin song” (for those unfamiliar with the recording timelines) as from a lack of knowledge of the song’s origins.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
In 1962, Willie Dixon got Chess Records to lease a couple of backing tracks from an earlier session that he had produced and played on for Mel London, featuring Earl Hooker. He wrote lyrics for...[...].
Interesting reading, thanks...
Old 04-10-2014, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much BklynBlue, for again sharing with us your incredible knowledge on music!!