Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
So your definition of an artist, a musical one, is just that of someone who's currently recording and not at all interested in commerce? The reason I ask is that if you've seen Stevie's new tour, do you not consider that art? The whole process behind her tour and her onstage performace are nothing but art at its finest, and the way she's been singing her songs and telling the stories that made them up is a perfect demonstration of that.
I understand if you don't feel the same way that I do, but the way I see it, in addition to writing beautiful songs and performing them well, charisma and ability to engage audiences are also some of the many definitions of a true artist. For me, Stevie is an artist in every sense of the word.
Thanks Danielle!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default so

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy333 View Post
Thanks Danielle!
so well said, you nailed it!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Danielle!
Old 03-13-2017, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I appreciate your thoughts Danielle and of course, your opinion is a valid one, just as all of ours are. In terms of artistic integrity, yes I believe Stevie has rendered herself creatively redundant in recent times, seemingly by design. I have seen her in concert many times, with and without Fleetwood Mac, but I no longer consider her to be a viable live act, performance-wise. I realise she can still pull a crowd and belt out her back catalogue but from my perspective, all subtlety and nuance (both of which are important to me) left her many a year ago. I concede that many seem to enjoy her foghorn approach but I am not one of them. I must also say that I am not enamoured of her ‘storytelling’ between songs these days – I consider these inarticulate rantings to be self-congratulatory and annoying in the extreme. For me, this distracts from her (admittedly mediocre) performance, sufficiently so that I am no longer willing to attend her shows. Just my opinion mind.
Having said that, I acknowledge Stevie’s right to make her own decisions and concede she has more than paid her dues over the years. I also accept that she no longer wishes to record with Fleetwood Mac, but I would prefer she be honest about her motivations. Her statements in the press regarding this matter have been inconsistent and bordering on churlishness. If she were to record again, in any capacity, I would support such endeavours just as I always have, even if they weren’t on a par with her finest work. However, my expectations of Stevie are not what they once were, largely informed by her arrogance and mercenary stance of late.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Phil, I don't agree with your opinions on Stevie at all, but that's not the reason I replied to your comment in the first place; it's saying Stevie is not an artist and saying she lost artistic integrity that puzzle me. I may be wrong, but artistic integrity has a lot to do with doing what you want with your art, being true to it... Her tour and storytelling are exactly that. It may be an art expression you don't appreciate (and I know you don’t), but it's still art.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 03-13-2017 at 08:20 PM..
Old 03-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Danielle, we obviously have differing perspectives on Stevie as she stands these days. It is my opinion that she is simply in it for the money (while it lasts) at this point and no longer possesses any semblance of creativity. If it wasn't obvious from the current cabaret show then look no further than the most recent spate of interviews wherein she references her money-making objectives.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Danielle, we obviously have differing perspectives on Stevie as she stands these days. It is my opinion that she is simply in it for the money (while it lasts) at this point and no longer possesses any semblance of creativity. If it wasn't obvious from the current cabaret show then look no further than the most recent spate of interviews wherein she references her money-making objectives.
I understand it's your opinion and I'll leave it alone, my whole point is that even if she were in it just for the money (which I absolutely don't believe) and had no creativity left (which in my opinion is not true), she would still be an artist.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by cabaret show, but this tour is one of the most creative she has put together. She's doing the songs she wants to do, and she's fulfilling her creative urge by singing some of them live for the very first time. To me, it's incredibly ballsy to have a set that includes a 10-song stretch in which the only hit single is "Stand Back." This could easily turn off the casual fans (the majority of the seats in the arenas) who are expecting a greatest hits show. She could have gone that route, but THAT would have been the lazy approach of someone going through the motions. Instead she did something different and, judging from the reviews, most people seem to be receiving the show well, and they leave much more familiar with her art than when they came.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She got another rave review in Austin.
Clearly the continuous packed arenas are enjoying her setlist which hardly relies solely on old hits.
People on this board are clearly upset at her for not recording with Fleetwood Mac and her statements to the press.
Nobody knows the politics of FM better than the band members themselves.
It's always been rocky, and as far as the money grabbing comments, clearly the other band members want the money unless they wouldn't be touring with her next year.
Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything.
As far as artistic, Stevie is an artist and her current tour is the best critically received tour of her solo career.
As far as the comments about her getting money "as long as it lasts," she is almost 70 years old. I think it's lasted since 1975, which is longevity.
She released two critically acclaimed solo albums this decade and if she never recorded again, her legacy is cemented.
She is also one of the very few that managed to sustain a highly successful solo career while balancing her part in one of the biggest rock bands of all time.
I don't think she seems jaded or unhappy.
On the contrary, she seems happy and doing exactly what she wants to do.
And pleasing concert goers and critics alike,
Old 03-14-2017, 06:53 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think Stevie is a very relevant artist. When 24K Gold was released it hit the TOP TEN. The only other aging white chick in the TOP TEN at that time was Barbra Streisand. Not bad for a rocker in her sixties. As soon as Christine called, she dropped EVERYTHING and toured with the MAC, AGAIN, after wrapping up months of touring with them and an appearance at The New Orleans Jazz Fest. Of course Christine is back and eager to get rolling musically, she has been away for sixteen years. More power to her! Chris and LB get along in the studio - Stevie and LB don't - a fact of life that we should all be used to by now. Stevie wanted her TWO years off from the MAC...no biggie. She gave them her blessing for the album.
I have concluded that no matter WHAT Stevie does, there will always be those that will have something negative to say. And as a fan they have every right. I do know that I have hundreds of Facebook Stevie and Fleetwood Mac fans that no longer come to this message board because of all the Stevie Bashing. People have been bashing Stevie for years and she is still going strong. I am a Stevie fan on The Edge of 60 and I have endured the bashing and I am still strong and going to see her for the second time this tour in New Orleans tomorrow night. When I saw the reunited RUMOURS lineup in Houston, it was a great show and it was great to see Christine with the band, and Stevie looked so happy!
But in October when I saw Stevie solo at the same venue, the crowd seemed to be more lively and stood longer and danced more than the MAC show...They are all growing older each day...I just want to enjoy them for as long as I can no matter what...and no matter how they choose to move forward as the MAC and as individual solo artists. We are pretty lucky that no one has retired yet!!!

Last edited by gypsy333; 03-14-2017 at 06:59 AM..
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hello everyone:

New poster here but have been lurking for some time. I wasn't sure where to post my comments but this thread is as good as any.

I've been a FM/Stevie fan since 1975 when my parents brought home the FM white album. I've seen FM on the Mirage, Tango in the Night, Dance, Say You Will, and On With the Show tours. I've seen Stevie on Wild Heart, Rock a Little, OSOTM, Enchanted, Millennium, TISL, one of the Vegas shows, whatever the 2007 tour was called, the 2010 show in Lake Tahoe, and thankfully 24Karat.

After the 2010 Lake Tahoe show, I told myself I would never see Stevie Nicks in concert again. Boring short setlist with covers of Bob Seger and Tom Petty, going through the motions, might as well have called it in from her home. I said the same about FM after the lifeless Say You Will tour, filled with canned speeches and Stevie praying for each show to end . The only thing that got me back to see them was the triumphant return of Christine McVie.

When I saw the setlist for 24 Karat tour, I almost fell out of my chair. After years of Stevie practically insulting her fans - and herself - with pathetic setlists, she pulled together a gem of a songlist. I was fortunate enough to be Boston for work during her Nov. 15th performance and scored a 12th row ticket. It was a performance of a lifetime. To see her come out to Gold and Braid, doing what the hell she wanted, genuine smile, made my heart soar. I relished every word of her long stories. I found myself screaming out "thank you" after nearly every song, particularly Wild Heart/Bella Donna and Moonlight.

To think she would bring out Wild Heart, Bella Donna, Gold and Braid, Crying in the Night, somewhat obscure songs from In Your Dreams and 24 Karat and not be afraid to drop Dreams (although she did Dreams in Boston), Landslide (although it's back), Sorcerer, enter Tom Petty song here, Break the Promise, Rock and Roll, all those painfully boring songs from the tours of the last 10-15 years blew me away and gave me new love and appreciation for someone who has meant the world to me my entire lifetime. The only song I could do without is Enchanted but if sitting through that is the price to pay for this remarkable show, so be it.

I think that Stevie Nicks is at the top of her game. She is confident and doing what she wants. She is giving her longtime fans a priceless gift - a long, stunning show that brings out the best in her. I have been thinking about that Boston show for months. If I had the money to travel and see other performances, I would have. I remain extremely grateful I had the opportunity that I did.

I couldn't care less if Stevie recorded with Fleetwood Mac. The magic of that band ended decades ago. I'm sure Lindsey and Christine are recording some good music but the essence of the band that resulted in the brilliance of the white album, Rumours, Tusk, some of Mirage, and maybe a tiny bit of Tango is long gone. The Dance tour was amazing because of the reunion aspect - same with On With the Show. I would gladly go to a final tour show for the same reason. But that's the reality. Thinking that FM would put out some kind amazing album when the 5 of them have no real connections any longer is wishful at best.

Yes, Stevie's comments that she won't record with FM because no one will buy the album are annoying. They are annoying because they aren't the truth. The truth is that she doesn't want to record with them and she has every right to do whatever she wants. Lindsey bailed after Tango, Christine bailed after the Dance, and Stevie can bail now. She should just be honest and say she doesn't want to record but is happy to do some tours for the fans. However, I don't care what Stevie says. I care what she does. And what she's been doing on this tour - is pure magic.

Last edited by Buster; 03-19-2017 at 05:13 PM..
Old 03-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Welcome on board Buster!
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well said, Buster... and welcome!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
she has more money than she will ever need, so i think its not her main reason for touring, she just likes doing it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEHEDRICK
she has more money than she will ever need, so i think its not her main reason for touring, she just likes doing it.
Of course she has more money than she will ever need, but she is greedy and egotistical to the core. As I stated before, she's simply an awful human being.