User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
super fun to hear a new track...however, I feel the producer and engineer did nothing nuanced with SN's harmony track. It is there, seemingly untouched, layered evenly over the lead vocal like fondant over a cake--same thickness, same consistency throughout. This is where LB would've shined by pushing and pulling and resting the right tones/notes, using dynamics and reverb and whatever else.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the hell out of some new music and glad that she is asked to do these things.
This is a perfect description. The only thing I might possibly add is that it seems LeeAnn is at a slightly louder volume, or she was layered over Stevie, almost like Stevie was standing behind her singing so Stevie's voice is hard to discern in the mix. All that aside, it's a pretty enough song and another little nice surprise!
Ricoh
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s a good duet but Stevie is kept in a three-four note register the entire time. I wish there was one point in the song to feature her breaking out a little more.

Still, it’s very good. Her warm contralto anchors Rimes’s lovely, flightier notes.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Leann co-wrote “Borrowed” about her affair with Eddie Cibrian when both she and Cibrian were still married to other people.

It’s quite touching and lonely how Stevie could sadly relate, especially considering that she’s alone. In addition, I’m not buying that “gave up being a wife for my music” story. While that notion may have been true at age 35-40, it’s certainly not the same sentiment that one feels at 70. I have a feeling that the reason Stevie likes to stay so busy is that she has no one to go home to.

A prior post listed Derek Taylor as one of Stevie’s past affairs. The subject of the song “Beautiful Child”—Derek (road manager of The Beatles) married his wife Joan in 1958. Thus, the line “you fell in love when I was only 10”. They were married for nearly 40 years, until his death in 1997.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyleo View Post
I just purchased the single off iTunes and it's only the one song. I'm in Australia so it should be available over there pretty soon.

Nice harmony, but as someone already said more could've been done to make it pop a little.

Thanks for sharing, I had no idea this was on the way.

Thanks - I've just purchased it as well. Thank goodness my pessimism was unwarranted!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Well Stevie's dramatic but I would assume it's more than one guy. She was involved with various married/taken men (Mick, Derek Taylor, Rupert Hine, the rehab guy she wrote FWIW about, etc). Why she did that numerous times I don't really understand but she probably was just able to relate to the feeling the song conveyed about that type of situation.
Two of her "great love affairs" - Mick and Joe Walsh - were carried on while the men were married. However, I doubt "Borrowed" applies to Joe, who separated from his wife by 1985 although not divorcing her until 1988, and while touring with Stevie in 1983 apparently wasn't spending too much time with the mother of his child. Tsk, tsk. He was not faithful to Stevie as their affair wound down, certainly. And yet Stevie apparently fantasized about giving up her career to marry him... that's what I don't understand!

But I digress. Was she drawn to married men? Was there something about "forbidden fruit"? Was it the idea that in the end, she knew that it wouldn't be permanent - maybe deep down she really didn't want something permanent?

Maybe, but I think it was just because most of the men she worked most closely with were married, and those were the men she connected with. When it came to their marital status her attitude was "Hey, if he wants it, and I want it, it's all good. Love is what's important" etc. etc. In other words, she simply didn't care. No guilt, no hesitation, no sense that she was doing anything wrong if it was done in the name of love. JMHO.

There is one line from "Borrowed" that acknowledges such affairs are wrong, which problematizes my theory a bit, but nothing says this song has to match her feelings beat-for-beat for her to relate to the main theme.... "I don't want to give you back" to the significant other.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-20-2018 at 12:00 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Leann co-wrote “Borrowed” about her affair with Eddie Cibrian when both she and Cibrian were still married to other people.

It’s quite touching and lonely how Stevie could sadly relate, especially considering that she’s alone. In addition, I’m not buying that “gave up being a wife for my music” story. While that notion may have been true at age 35-40, it’s certainly not the same sentiment that one feels at 70. I have a feeling that the reason Stevie likes to stay so busy is that she has no one to go home to.

A prior post listed Derek Taylor as one of Stevie’s past affairs. The subject of the song “Beautiful Child”—Derek (road manager of The Beatles) married his wife Joan in 1958. Thus, the line “you fell in love when I was only 10”. They were married for nearly 40 years, until his death in 1997.
Good point @watchchain I'm sure, that even now, she's had her share of men wanting to court her. Something is just plain OFF in her relationships. Can't pin it down, BUT you'd think that even in the last 20 years, since she's been 50, that she'd want to "settle down" with someone she could talk to, go out with and just be around. There's plenty of guys, many successful, around her age who would just love to sit down and have a nice dinner and just talk to. Again, somethings just off there. Is it them or is it her??
Old 06-20-2018, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
Good point @watchchain I'm sure, that even now, she's had her share of men wanting to court her. Something is just plain OFF in her relationships. Can't pin it down, BUT you'd think that even in the last 20 years, since she's been 50, that she'd want to "settle down" with someone she could talk to, go out with and just be around. There's plenty of guys, many successful, around her age who would just love to sit down and have a nice dinner and just talk to. Again, somethings just off there. Is it them or is it her??
This is an interesting thread. First, I just want to say that I don't believe a person has to be married in order to have a happy, complete life. Stevie has said several times she has regrets about relationships not working out and not having children. But at her age now, I doubt she still feels that regret as much. Also, I think I've read she has family members and assistants living with her. I do not think a potential husband would want to live with several other adults, especially when they're all going to side with your wife every time LOL! And I think Stevie is happy with the way her life is now, and she would be unwilling to leave her family/friends/employees for a husband.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is Stevie doing some of the things she does best: Singing about heartbreak with another singer and doing so in her country tinged voice. It's really nice. I don't love the lyrics or what the song's about but I like her singing on it.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 06-20-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Old 06-20-2018, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I really like this song!

So do we really think that Stevie believes Rimes is the best she's ever sung with, or is this maybe Stevie being generous?
No. Not the best. I'd have to think about it because that list is pretty long. This is good though.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She's probably just complimenting her. Stevie sang with Don Henley lol, I doubt she thinks Leann Rimes is better than Don Henley.
Or Kenny Loggins or the Dixie Chicks or, or, or... There's so many.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Very nice. She has enough duets and one-offs for a box set now, surely!
You know she could do the whole re-imagined with just her duets. That would be really cool.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never in a million years wiuld I have thought Stevie and LeAnn would team up for a duet. However, who would ever think she would duet with Lana Del Rey. Surprised she is still getting all these duets at he age.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I wonder who she's singing about. She said she fell to the floor when she heard the song, because she'd been there (or something to that effect)
She talked about this fall to the floor memory already when she was discussing Moonlight and how the Twilight characters were just like Lindsey and her....that was the first thing I thought of as she's mentioned this scenario before

But there has been A LOT of affairs with married men so it could be one of many she is thinking about....?
Old 06-20-2018, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
She talked about this fall to the floor memory already when she was discussing Moonlight and how the Twilight characters were just like Lindsey and her....that was the first thing I thought of as she's mentioned this scenario before

But there has been A LOT of affairs with married men so it could be one of many she is thinking about....?
She said the two characters in Twilight in general reminded her of her and Lindsey which is why she brought out Lady From the Mountain after watching it but with the specific scene where Bella falls on the forest floor after Edward leaves I believe that reminded her of Joe Walsh, just from how she talked about it. Wow everything about this sentence was cringeworthy lol.
I think she just related to the song because she's been involved with married men before various times but I don't think it's connected to anyone specific.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
She said the two characters in Twilight in general reminded her of her and Lindsey which is why she brought out Lady From the Mountain after watching it but with the specific scene where Bella falls on the forest floor after Edward leaves I believe that reminded her of Joe Walsh, just from how she talked about it. Wow everything about this sentence was cringeworthy lol.
I think she just related to the song because she's been involved with married men before various times but I don't think it's connected to anyone specific.
Those folks drop to the forest floor frozen and all that (side note: I seriously watched those movies just because of Stevie, and kept waiting for some winter forest scene whether they both collapse... LOL). I only knew about the SnL connection. I didn't realize that was some kind of Joe Walsh reference somehow... not sure I want to know more there...

However, the lyric it most reminds me of is the one from Love Is: "And her heart broke down - she cried - she fell to the floor." Do we know who that is about? Or is "fall to the floor" just a way Stevie dramatically expresses feeling overwhelming emotion?

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-20-2018 at 06:02 PM..