Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter Green article in July 2003 Guitar Player

Guitar Player, July 2003 page 22. (Issue 401, Vol. 37, No. 1)

There is a site for the magazine:
guitarplayer.com

I don't know if the article can be found there or not. It's a page long. If I get a chance later, I'll type it up. It has a bit of Fleetwood Mac in there, some mention of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, etc.

Other loose FM relatives: there's a spotlight on Carlos Santana (page 25) another article about Clapton.

I've got a subscription to the mag, but figured there might be some Green fans that don't and would want to pick it up.
Old 05-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Here is the article

Guitar Player
July 2003
Issue 401
Vol. 37, No. 7
Page 22

(Input/Output Section)

“Blues Joint: Peter Green”
By Elliott Stephen Cohen

That Peter Green is a lost soul has been well documented. After a meteoric rise in the blush of London’s 60s blues scene as a member of John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers and Fleetwood Mac, drug abuse and schizophrenia robbed him of his reason, his fame, and even his ability to play guitar. But in 1998, a frail and still mentally fragile Green returned to form with the critically acclaimed The Robert Johnson Songbook. It was a personal victory of epic proportions. The 56-year old Green recently released a follow-up, Reaching the Cold 100 [Eagle records], and spoke to GP about his mental health, his famous Les Paul, and how to really play the blues.

GP: You didn’t write any new songs for “Reaching the Cold 100, opting instead to rerecord some of your old Fleetwood Mac classics such as “Black Magic Woman” and “Albatross.” How come?

Peter Green: I actually didn’t have the time to come up with any new material for the album. I’m always studying the development—or lack of development—in my songs. That’s sort of where my creative energies apply themselves. I always want to see if I can improve on them.

GP: What equipment are you currently using?

Peter Green: I’m playing two Stratocasters—one of which is set up for slide—and a Gibson Howard Roberts that has settled in nicely. I like really heavy strings, and I prefer to play without picks. My amp is a Fender Pro Sonic.

GP: You once said you’d never play a Les Paul again. Why?

Peter Green: It’s too heavy for me now. Actually, buying a Les Paul is one of my biggest regrets. I should have left that to Eric Clapton. I sort of overshadowed his breakthrough. But my Les Paul was a fabulous guitar. I wish I could get it back today. When you’ve got something really perfect, you don’t realize it at the time.

GP: Don’t you also regret the years you were unable to play guitar and perform in public?

Peter Green: I have no regrets there. That was simply because of my hospitalization. I was kind of tricked into going into a hospital. I used to say, “I don’t want to do this. I don’t want electro-shock therapy.” Well, they tricked me into it, but shock therapy wasn’t the worst. My most hated thing was being forced to take tranquilizers. You try to stay awake, but you ain’t going to be able to do it. You’re left half asleep with no identity. I was just struggling to keep my eyes open. I couldn’t really think. I just kept blinking my eyes open like a cat. You know—on the blink, on the blink, on the blink. That’s all I was able to do.

GP: Have you ever considered that your personal challenges might allow you to approach blues music with more authenticity or conviction?

Peter Green: I’m playing that music, and I’m an honorable guy—If there’s a discrepancy or debate about it. But someone in New Orleans once said to me, “When I come to hear the blues, I know what color skin I want to see doing it!” He was a clever bloke. Well, I don’t think my history gives me any right to sing the blues, but perhaps it has improved my chances [laughs]. You don’t go right, but you get more wrong. It is best to have suffered—you can’t beat a lot of negativity coming in. If you’re comfortable in life, then that’s something holy, and something very sad.

GP: In the ‘70s, you believed that making money off one’s art was evil. Do you still think that’s true?

Peter Green: No. Back then, the acid heads had a different opinion, though. But I have no real proof that rock stars have any money. They haven’t given me any of it, or taken me to any lavish restaurants, so they may not have as much as people think. It might be interesting to say that rock stars were given money to take away the original sin. If the rock star keeps on rocking, he’s going to be repeating himself to a certain extent. A lot of them do seem to have something that I haven’t got, but, whatever it is, they can keep it. Having it becomes more than a curse.
~article by Elliot Stephen Cohen.
Old 05-27-2003, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool, thanks for posting this (and beating me to the punch! ).

Talk about somebody who has "conquered their demons". I think we can safely catagorize Peter as one.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tango,
thanks for taking the time to copy out the Peter Green article -
but I have to say it's amazing to me what passes for professional journalism.
First, in a display of appalling insensitivity, he asks, "Don't you also regret the years you were unable to play?"

Green, being the gracious man that he is, actually answers. Politely.

Encouraged, the interviewer then, tries to get Green to see the bright side of his lost years: being pigmentation-ally-impaired, perhaps his personal trials will help him be a more "authentic" bluesman.

Blues music, as with any art, is about the truth. Feelings. Happy, sad, doesn't matter.
To believe, that the ability to convey emotion, to touch another person, through a particular means of expression, is held exclusively be a single race, is quite simply, just dumb.

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-28-2003, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I agree with you.

With all the man has been through, it's amazing Peter Green is alive, and not only can he function, he performs musically far beyond any level I could ever reach. I liken the reporter's question to those asked to Christopher Reeves, "Don't you miss walking? Don't you miss running with your kids? Don't you miss feeding yourself? Don't you miss . . . . [fill in the blanks]."

Of course they do. And it's easy to get down and only focus on the loss. These men are amazing. Peter Green is back out on stage performing. Reeves is doing a lot of work promoting the issues of spinal cord injuries. These men make me feel rather small.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The one interesting comment I picked up from the above interview was Green's saying that his creative energies these days is focused on how he could "improve" upon his past work.

Creatively, this is a dead-end for most artists but with Green, I think it could be quite revelatory.
Green's playing on "Dust My Blues" with the Bluesbreakers was always a favorite - the arrangement had some nice variations on the theme - I recently got a copy of the "Eddie Boyd and His Blues Band" LP - a session Peter played on around the same time and his playing on "Dust My Broom" on that is completely different - with Peter's solo having a distinctly loose and "swinging" feel -
(I know he also recorded with the number at one of Mayall's BBC sessions but I have not yet heard that one for comparison)

It seems that Peter is intrigued by the idea of drawing from a reservoir of material and finding new ways of interpreting each number "in the moment" - see the Robert Johnson songs and Otis Rush's "It Takes Time".

Unfortunately, I think this approach is better suited to a solo performance unless the band is exceptionally comfortable with improvisation -

But I wish him well in his explorations and look forward to hearing where they take him

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 06-01-2003, 03:02 PM
Ledgie

I love hearing the different variations Green does on different versions of classics. I just found a recording of him doing From 4'Til Late recently & love his rendition of it. He's got such a laid back feeling to his playing.
I'm so lucky I get to hear all these different versions of old songs & new to me ones. I've even taken over the sound system at work & been able to indulge in all day Green Dayz....