Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Ledgie

Default FM Record Plant Sausalito December 1974

I just got my copy of this unofficial FM record. Very interesting!!!
Bob Welch singing and playing The Green Manalishi, Oh Well and Black Magic Woman live... Christine: Spare me a little, Why and Believe me... Angel, Sentimental Lady, Future Games, Bermuda Triangle, Rattlesnake Shake, Hypnotized... Live! All my favorites!
I just love Bob's voice and John's bass playing knocks me of my feet.
Just WOW!

Anyone?

Anna
Old 10-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Interesting you should post this; I was just thinking of this show the other day for some reason. I love Bob Welch, too. That was a great show!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:18 AM

Here's the "Real" Fleetwood Mac Playing "Black Magic Woman" in 1974
One of the group's final shows before Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks arrived to usher in a new era of radio rock.

Did you know that Paste owns the world’s largest collection of live music recordings? It’s true! And what’s even crazier, it’s all free—hundreds of thousands of exclusive songs, concerts and videos that you can listen to and watch right here at Paste.com, from B.B. King to The Stones to Tom Petty to Public Enemy. Every day, we’ll dig through the archive to find the coolest recording we have from that date in history. Search and enjoy!

The brief and awkward window between Fleetwood Mac’s late ‘60s start as a pioneering British blues band and their mid-’70s reign as a pop juggernaut is often neglected by fans and historians alike. This period was full of personnel changes, beginning with the departure, in 1970, of the band’s founder and leader, guitarist Peter Green, as he slipped further into drug-induced insanity. In 1974, Fleetwood Mac were a still a year away from re-charting their course with new additions Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. In fact, at the time, the group’s previous management had a bogus Fleetwood Mac out on the road, so the band wasn’t just competing with the glory of a previous lineup; they were also battling to make it clear that they were indeed the real Fleetwood Mac.

This recording, captured on Dec. 15, 1974, at the Record Plant in Sausalito, Calif., captures the lineup fronted by Bob Welch and Christine McVie performing some of their finest material of that era, including a few tributes to Green. Late in the set, the band alights on three Green classics: “Black Magic Woman” (which originally appeared in 1968 as a Fleetwood Mac single, but would of course become a huge hit for Santana in 1970), “Oh Well” and “Rattlesnake Shake.”

This recording marks one of the last existing live documents of Fleetwood Mac with Welch on board. Like Green, Jeremy Spencer and Danny Kirwin before him, Welch too would soon depart to pursue a solo career, leaving the band in search of another frontman/guitar player. They had no idea what kind of astronomical success lay in store for them.

LISTEN HERE: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...-woman-in.html
Old 12-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I LOVE this Record Plant recording. OMG. I remember taping it from the radio around 1983. They play all the great early Mac tunes and Why is extra special. They open with an amazing The Green Manalishi and I LOVE Christine's keyboards on this. Bermuda Triangle, Sentimental Lady, and Hypnotized are extra special.
The date of this concert always fascinated me. Its just 2 weeks before Stevie and Lindsey join the band. Mick probably already heard Frozen Love. I am so thankful Bob did this concert before leaving. Its a classic.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Love the recordings from this era. I have a bootleg CD I purchased years ago. My brother tried to steal it. I mean, that's how good it is!
Old 12-22-2017, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The talking parts of Bermuda Triangle used to actually scare me as a kid. The song is so mystical and spooky in parts
Old 05-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Record Plant Sausalito is a magical place. Here are pics from when I went to a book signing party there.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/de...nt%20Sausalito
Old 05-04-2019, 05:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Its really hard to believe that a performance as magical as this was recorded 2 weeks before asking Lindsey and Stevie to join.
I've heard 2 versions from Mick that he heard Frozen Love before Bob left and then immediately after Bob left. Either way, December 1974 was an incredible month for the band.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its really hard to believe that a performance as magical as this was recorded 2 weeks before asking Lindsey and Stevie to join.
I've heard 2 versions from Mick that he heard Frozen Love before Bob left and then immediately after Bob left. Either way, December 1974 was an incredible month for the band.
Yes it is incredible. The Heroes lineup sounds VERY tight and expert here. Bob Welch gave a lot right up to the end.

In the middle of the Heroes tour, Mick visited a few studios for the follow-up album. At the time, there was all expectation that the foursome would continue on as such. He heard BN's album ("Frozen Love" in particular), met Lindsey, saw Stevie through a glass partition--and that was that.

Then, when Bob Welch quit, he remembered...

Bob has said (in one of his 2 ledge QAs) that Mick and John tried to talk him out of leaving and, at one time, entertained the idea of Lindsey, Stevie, joining alongside Bob. I don't know the veracity of this, since Bob is the only one to have said it, but I do believe Welch when he said the remaining trio panicked when he quit. "They were very worried about their careers" he said.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yes it is incredible. The Heroes lineup sounds VERY tight and expert here. Bob Welch gave a lot right up to the end.

In the middle of the Heroes tour, Mick visited a few studios for the follow-up album. At the time, there was all expectation that the foursome would continue on as such. He heard BN's album ("Frozen Love" in particular), met Lindsey, saw Stevie through a glass partition--and that was that.

Then, when Bob Welch quit, he remembered...

Bob has said (in one of his 2 ledge QAs) that Mick and John tried to talk him out of leaving and, at one time, entertained the idea of Lindsey, Stevie, joining alongside Bob. I don't know the veracity of this, since Bob is the only one to have said it, but I do believe Welch when he said the remaining trio panicked when he quit. "They were very worried about their careers" he said.
Interesting. I love the Q/A sessions on Bob's former site. I deeply regret not knowing about it to send him an email once I got a computer around 1999.
Makes sense because Heroes was more successful than Mystery. I cant recall where but the album did chart in the top 40 with no hits.
The Stevie/Lindsey era has been over exposed and not much more to learn. I could spend hours asking John or Chris about this show and the 1973-1974 Mac.
Speaking of the Bob Q/A sessions, I did read that the band hated Bob's talking sessions during shows especially Bermuda Triangle. He said when he would start, Chris and Mick would give him evil stares
1973 Mystery To Me and 1974 Hereos are so good. I wish I could go back in time and be a groupie and just volunteer to assist the band on the road.