The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's hilarious! Three of us were posting virtually the same point at the same time. To the minute!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

I think if Christine had a daughter, she would look like Christine does on the cover. Also, the font on the cover is century gothic, which happens to be one of my favorite fonts! Yay! A new Christine album, Mac tour this summer, dvds and remasters! Everyday seems like Christmas
Old 04-28-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Ok my head is working again. It's definitely a Hammond on Rumours live video. She has a hammond on the video for YMLF.

I know she's using a Clavinet (left hand only) for the verses and an electric piano in her right hand. then for the chorus she pulls down to the hammond.

of course i think she is smoking while doing all that!
OK, since the evidence seems to be mounting against me, I will amend my statement: When used, except for things like I'm So Afraid, the Hammond is not terribly prominent in the Rumours lineup songs. And certainly it isn't used the way it appears in blues and gospel numbers, when it soars to the heavens with an unmistakable intensity. Take a listen to some of Robert Randolph's Family Band's stuff to see what I mean.

Edit: I was also confused and thinking of a very specific type of Hammond.

Regardless, I stand by my original comment: The use of the piano in pop is usually cheesy. I will throw in "syrupy" too. Arggghh. And yeck!

Some FM songs are rare exceptions: Songbird, What Makes You Think You're the One and a few others.

Keyboards and synthesizers are a different story altogether.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 04-28-2004 at 11:51 AM..
Old 04-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
OK, since the evidence seems to be mounting against me, I will amend my statement: When used, except for things like I'm So Afraid, the Hammond is not terribly prominent in the Rumours lineup songs.
I think that the term "prominence" would be subjective. The Hammond parts on Fleetwood Mac tunes would be infinitely more conspicuous by their absence than "prominently" heard. Making them subsequently "prominent".

Last edited by chiliD; 04-28-2004 at 01:19 PM..
Old 04-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
I think men and women should look the way they want to.
Yeah but what about the rest?
Old 04-28-2004, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
Yeah but what about the rest?
Oh yeah and us too Stefan!
Old 04-28-2004, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Have you seen the Dance cover, the Street Angel cover, and some of the shots in the SYW cover? C'mon now. On SA, it looks like someone went way overboard on the airbrush. She doesn't look like herself on the Dance, and in SYW, some of those shots are obviously touched. All you have to do is go to a Mac concert, front row, and look up. And some of the touch ups in the Destiny Rules doc were so apparrent; I mean, she looked twenty in some shots.
She's airbrushed, sure... but the point was that Stevie still at least looks like herself, and not Suzanne Somers or Loretta Switt.

As I know you know, airbrushing is done to enhance one's appearance, and soften wrinkles, etc.... it's not supposed to leave you looking unrecognizable. And I don't think Stevie's ever been "unrecognizable," even at her most airbrushed.

Still, I think we're all jumping to far too many conclusions about this tiny little .jpg of Christine's album cover. It's low-quality, and it's small... we might all have a very different opinion of it, once we see it full-sized, and in a higher quality.

As an aside... I think it's ironic that Stevie looks far more youthful (and absolutely stunning!) in the candid, un-retouched backstage photos, that fans have posted from the current tour, than she does in all of the professionally photographed and airbrushed shots.

To wit:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stevie07-21-03.jpg (58.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg stevie07-21-03b.jpg (78.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Stevie&Barbara07-21-03.jpg (59.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 04-28-2004, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Still, I think we're all jumping to far too many conclusions about this tiny little .jpg of Christine's album cover. It's low-quality, and it's small... we might all have a very different opinion of it, once we see it full-sized, and in a higher quality.
I hate to get into this looks conversation because it's so silly. But I'll add to what Le Stew said here by saying that what this cover shows me is that Christine, whom we haven't seen in six years or so, has changed somewhat in appearance. To me she looks like an older woman who has lost some weight. But who cares what she looks like anyway?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
And I don't think Stevie's ever been "unrecognizable," even at her most airbrushed.

I totally agree.

Old 04-28-2004, 03:21 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Christine didn't use synths (except for an ARP String Ensemble on "Sunny Side Of Heaven")...at least, until Tango In The Night...but then, she ALWAYS used/uses a B3 live. Either a B3, a concert grand piano or a Hohner electric piano (and later a Yamaha CP30 electric piano) was all she'd use.

David, back me up here, pal!
i'm no David but i got his back...... i copied one of his posts a little while ago that pretty much summed up Chris's keyboards over the years:

"She never toured with towering banks of keyboards. It's just not her thing. She's not a geeky synth player, in general. She has always preferred the classic electromechanical piano & a Hammond organ setup. She used to play the Hohner Pianet N (although she didn't usually record with it) because it had a lot more overdrive & bite than the Fender Rhodes or the Wurlitzer, & it cut through the guitar-thick mix onstage. The "N" model gave way to the Combo model by the time Buckingham & Nicks joined, which was more road-worthy & more compact-looking. Otherwise, it generated sound exactly the same way that the "N" model did (sticky pads). You can hear her playing the Combo Pianet on your 1980 "Live" album on songs like "Say You Love Me" & "Dreams" & "Don't Let Me Down Again" & "Rhiannon." One just sold on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=29552

For "Gold Dust Woman" on those tours, Chris added an effects box with a flanger & a phaser. She did not ever use the Hohner Clavinet onstage. When they played "You Make Loving Fun," she played only the Combo Pianet & her B3 -- you just didn't get the Clavinet part done live until the 1997 reunion tour, when Brett either played it or piped it in. On the White Album & Rumours tours, she played the keyboard part for "Landslide" on a Fender Rhodes.

She's been using a B3 all these years on every tour. She had it recased for the Rumours tour so it had a nice, sleek black case on aluminum legs, instead of the stocky wood look. On occasion, she'd also use an ARP String Ensemble -- for "Sunny Side of Heaven," according to her, although interestingly, the two recordings we have of that (South Orange 1975 & a Rumours tour rehearsal), she's playing the B3 instead of an ARP. She also had a baby grand onstage for songs like "Get Like You Used to Be" & "Silver Springs" & "Jumpin' at Shadows." Later on, she switched to a Yamaha grand on tour for "Don't Stop" & "Songbird" & "Believe Me." She has used Yamaha grands ever since onstage.

The sticky pads went dry on the Pianet & the Combo model itself went out of production by the late 1970s, replaced by a wimpier "T" model, which she apparently didn't want (it sounded a lot more like the vibraphone-like Rhodes & wouldn't have cut through the live mix). So she switched to the first stereo electronic piano that Yamaha produced, the CP-30. Those sell on eBay still, quite a bit cheaper than the Pianets: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...bayphotohosting

I'm sorry you don't think highly of the CP-30, because it was -- is -- a fabulous combo instrument. I own two & love playing them with a rock combo. You really make yourself felt with their wonderfully squawky, jazz guitar-like sounds. Christine began recording with the CP-30 in 1978 for the "Tusk" album, using it on "Over & Over," "Think About Me," "Honey Hi," "Never Forget" &, most recognizably, "Angel." That board was so durable & so reliable that she took it out on the road for the Tusk Tour. Her setup for that tour as well as the Mirage Tour was essentially the same: Yamaha CP-30, Hammond B3, Yamaha grand ("Don't Stop" & "Songbird") & Yamaha upright ("Sara" & "Not That Funny"). Plus she played an accordeon for "Tusk." Jeff Sova added synth patches backstage on "Tusk" & "Hold Me." You can hear her play the CP-30 on the 1980 "Live" album on "Over & Over" & "One More Night" & "Landslide."

Her setup in '84 was the last time she used the CP-30 for touring.

When Fleetwood Mac toured in '87, she used a large, well-built & very popular & expensive controller by Yamaha called the KX-88 & her ubiquitous Hammond. Dan Garfield put a module up for auction on eBay several years ago, the Roland MKS-20 -- it was one of the modules used on the '87-'88 tour, & possibly where Christine's patches were being generated from. That was her rig right on up through her last tour with the band.

P.S. She also talks about her setup in an early 1977 issue of Hit Parader."
Old 04-28-2004, 03:33 PM

From now, on I'm just gonna stick to talking about guitars.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't feel bad Carne, I think that post was in response to my naive statement that CM used a Moog on stage

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-28-2004, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Don't feel bad Carne, I think that post was in response to my naive statement that CM used a Moog on stage
He he. Moog... he he. That's funny. What were you thinking?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have no clue

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Quote:
She did use one when they brought Keith Emerson on tour with them.