Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:49 PM
joe

Default RS 100 Greatest Guitarists

Yawn...not a list fan at all but figured I'd share. Blasphemy I tell you! We all know he deserves to be higher.

At any rate, the most interesting thing about this is the photo. I've NEVER ever seen a pic of him playing a double neck guitar. Any older fans out there that saw them back in the Rumours era care to share any memories of this?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...ngham-19691231
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faff7728d7110e746d427486b8d750d39993ad21.jpg (87.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default So Rolling Stone put Lindsey at #100 did they?

And this is why Rolling Stone fails. They wouldn't know anything about real talent as they're too much up the marketable/popular star's ***** to give a care I guess. The only time they EVER get my attention is when they write about John Lennon or Bob Dylan (and a handful of other greats). I guess because the former was a personal friend of Wenner and both men were his heroes that he feels compelled to give a **** when it comes to them. Otherwise, whatever man. Lindsey Buckingham is too awesome for Rolling Stone magazine's stupid list. They might as well have kept him off it altogether if they're going to insult him in such a way.

But thank you Joe. The picture is fabulous and I really shouldn't sound so bitter, but I just know how magnificent LB is and I KNOW he deserves to be in the frigg'n top 10. And frankly he's my number 1 so it's all good.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 11-23-2011 at 03:24 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

100....ha ha.........100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bullsh*t I tell ya. I should have guessed though no matter he's number 1 in my heart and mind always

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 11-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Surprised he even made the list. He should be in the top 40, at least
Old 11-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bruce Springsteen is a better guitarist than Lindsey? The f***? Bruce does nothing but play power chords and the occasional sloppy solo. And what's up with all of these blues guitarists? Blues is such a bull**** genre in general. It's all basically the same rhythm, the same basic chords, the same basic song structure, the same riffs and the same types of solos with bent notes. A few like Eric Clapton, BB King and Jeff Beck have transcended the genre a bit, but it hardly takes much dexterity to play like the other bajillion glues guitarists on this list. Obviously the hack who compiled this list doesn't play.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear you Hejira. Ugh, I forgot how up Bruce's *** RS is. Don't get me wrong, I love Springsteen. He is a remarkable songwriter and performer and an outstanding artist through and through but give me a break he's a better guitarist than Lindsey. Rolling Stone, I am DISAPPOINT.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Yawn...not a list fan at all but figured I'd share. Blasphemy I tell you! We all know he deserves to be higher.

At any rate, the most interesting thing about this is the photo. I've NEVER ever seen a pic of him playing a double neck guitar. Any older fans out there that saw them back in the Rumours era care to share any memories of this?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...ngham-19691231
at least before, RS had an excuse that somehow he was off their radar. i guess with all the more recent calls how underrated he is, somebody thought they should add him on the list. without apparently having any idea of what kind of guitarist he is. just to have it documented here, i can't resist pasting ridiculous text that accompanies this - whoever wrote it must have never heard Lindsey Buckingham play guitar, and has definitely never heard of Big Love (or even watched SNL ) or ISA. just look at the extensive list of main tracks that are supposed to represent LB's line of guitar work - whoever wrote the text probably checked RS 500 greatest songs list to find whether there are any FM songs and listed 2 there were on there:

During Fleetwood Mac's hitmaking era, Lindsey Buckingham transmuted the folk music of his banjo-playing youth into stadium rock: glistening harmonized leads, crisply snapping chords and frenetic arpeggiated breakdowns. "It's not acceptable classical technique," he has said. "You do what you can to get the sound you want."

Key Tracks: "Rhiannon," "Go Your Own Way"

Related
• The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time: Fleetwood Mac's 'Go Your Own Way'
• The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time: Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours'

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/li...#ixzz1eZlfWqqT

Last edited by elle; 11-23-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's prestigious to bring up the anchor position. I'd honestly rather have him at 100 than at 53 or 87. Stands out more. Of course, top 25 might have been nice, but he's never placed there before in his career. So, I wouldn't expect it to happen now.

I don't really think of him as a guitarist. I liked when Stevie called him, "our little master craftsman."

Sun, moon, heaven, earth, stars. I think of him more as placing on those lists.

I'd like to hear what he has to say about playing that guitar.

Michele
Old 11-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I'd honestly rather have him at 100 than at 53 or 87. Stands out more.
that's exactly what i just tweeted - makes the ridiculousness of his placement completely obvious - while it would be equally ridic but would get lost if he was placed as 53.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Michele, bless you for seeing the positive in this situation. I wish I had your outlook. I am still NOT happy with his placement and believe he deserves to be about 90 or more places up. Thank you for making light of it all. I'm sure you were serious too, which makes me glad to know that LB fans can be so dang rational. Why aren't I more like that?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default some tweeterworld reactions

@JS_Foundation
Lindsey Buckingham finally made the Rolling Stone list for Top 100 guitarists of all time...the catch? He's number 100...I call foul...
44 minutes ago

@Nickslive
Lindsey Buckingham just makes the list? What the hell? fb.me/12I8X5ekd
54 minutes ago

@mwogle
@RollingStone @davidhelmers Cant play 1 note, but know that Lindsey Buckingham is better than, Peter Buck, Paul Simon & Boss w the Ax!
1 hour ago

@ThePumpkinGeek
Lindsey Buckingham #100!??!?! The guy deserves top 25 at LEAST! music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifie…
2 hours ago

@ThePumpkinGeek
How is Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) NOT listed in the top 10!? NO ONE plays like him! music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifie…
2 hours ago

@LawrieIngles Lawrie Ingles
Hilarious! rollingstone.com/music/lists/10…
6 hours ago

@sracer4095 S
Kinda puzzled by @RollingStone's 100 Greatest Guitarists. Hendrix at #1 obviously, but Lindsey Buckingham at just #100? Really?
6 hours ago

@gusto80 Christos Gus
@guitarsmiler lindsey buckingham is 100th,not the greatest but definitely higher than that. Most of it is about right.
6 hours ago

@kbell1283
Glad to see Lindsey Buckingham & Bonnie Raitt on there!“@RollingStone: The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time: bit.ly/vo7LyY”
7 hours ago

@bmikol
I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but seeing recordings of Lindsey Buckingham playing live make me think how underrated he is as a guitarist
8 hours ago

@JentoInfinity
He is SO underappreciated. But really? Key tracks: Rhiannon & GYOW??? NO. via @rollingstone 100 Greatest Guitarists rollingstone.com/music/lists/10…
Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
@JS_Foundation
Lindsey Buckingham finally made the Rolling Stone list for Top 100 guitarists of all time...the catch? He's number 100...I call foul...
44 minutes ago
I know right?

Quote:
@Nickslive
Lindsey Buckingham just makes the list? What the hell? fb.me/12I8X5ekd
54 minutes ago
They must have been tired of the hate mail.

Quote:
@mwogle
@RollingStone @davidhelmers Cant play 1 note, but know that Lindsey Buckingham is better than, Peter Buck, Paul Simon & Boss w the Ax!
1 hour ago
Damn straight.

Quote:
@ThePumpkinGeek
Lindsey Buckingham #100!??!?! The guy deserves top 25 at LEAST! music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifie…
2 hours ago
I'd go higher than that even.

Quote:
@ThePumpkinGeek
How is Lindsey Buckingham (Fleetwood Mac) NOT listed in the top 10!? NO ONE plays like him! music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifie…
2 hours ago
This.

Quote:
@LawrieIngles Lawrie Ingles
Hilarious! rollingstone.com/music/lists/10…
6 hours ago
I know. I just use the mags for my collages these days.

Quote:
@sracer4095 S
Kinda puzzled by @RollingStone's 100 Greatest Guitarists. Hendrix at #1 obviously, but Lindsey Buckingham at just #100? Really?
6 hours ago
Rolling Stone is a predictable, safe, and completely pathetic piece of **** most of the time. Hendrix is my bb so I can't hate, but for SHAME what you did to LB, RS. Get a clue.

Quote:
@gusto80 Christos Gus
@guitarsmiler lindsey buckingham is 100th,not the greatest but definitely higher than that. Most of it is about right.
6 hours ago
Uh, DUH.

Quote:
@kbell1283
Glad to see Lindsey Buckingham & Bonnie Raitt on there!“@RollingStone: The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time: bit.ly/vo7LyY”
7 hours ago
I love Bonnie too!

Quote:
@bmikol
I'm not a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, but seeing recordings of Lindsey Buckingham playing live make me think how underrated he is as a guitarist
8 hours ago
That isn't the point. Saying he's underrated and then accepting him being placed in such a pathetic position (for him) is sort of agreeing to it a little. But that's ok. What else can we really do about it? Except bitch.

Quote:
@JentoInfinity
He is SO underappreciated. But really? Key tracks: Rhiannon & GYOW??? NO. via @rollingstone 100 Greatest Guitarists rollingstone.com/music/lists/10…
Who writes the "key tracks?" whoever it is, you failed man.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default more tweets...

now, bear in mind the tweets i pasted are just the ones that came out by doing "lindsey buckigham" search. there are many others, here are some additional ones plus responses i got when i couldn't resist adding my 0.02 (including a direct quote i stole from you, Nico ):

@helensg
@Wildaboutmusic Hey, how did Lindsey Buckingham only come 100th in the Rolling Stone Guitar Greats thing.....madness surely?

@ellellew
Lindsey Buckingham is too awesome for @RollingStone magazine's stupid list... he should be within first 10, not #100

@ellellew
@RollingStone Lindsey Buckingham is #100?! (but finally makes the list) plus look at the writeup - who writes this stuff? Big Love anybody?

@BarreChordz
@ellellew Buckingham at 100 is totally ridiculous.

@ellellew
@BarreChordz it's partly funny/partly sad testimony about whoever put this list together... LB at #100 makes it really obvious how ridic

@JamieFriend12
@ellellew @rollingstone Completely agree he is one of the best if not the best guitar player in world!!

@Sethmolitoris
I'd put Lindsey Buckingham in my top 25 guitarist maybe 20

@75shovel
#LindseyBuckingham is #100 on your list? R U ****ing serious? Who does these lists? Some moron? This is why I stopped buying @RollingStone

@75shovel
@HuffingtonPost That list is a piece of crap. #LindseyBuckingham is #100. Are they all on crack @RollingStone? He shud be in top 10!

@Meltsake
commented: Neil Schon and Lindsay Buckingham should be up there. http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifi...mt-container-b

@thedissociate
lindsay buckingham from fleetwood mac should be higher than 100, though. he's way better than springsteen & thurston moore, for ****'s sake.

@colinsteele
The @rollingstone list of 100 greatest guitarists instantly lost credibility when I saw "100. Lindsay Buckingham." Should be WAY higher.

@Daniel0061824
Lindsey Buckingham only at No.100 is an outrage. @DavidCornDC @PaulBegala

@dances_w_vowels
What? WHAT? is.gd/VH0eyO Lindsay Buckingham is in the TOP FIVE, not one hundredth.

Last edited by elle; 11-23-2011 at 09:01 PM..
Old 11-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The list is meaningless. I wouldn't worry about it.
I do wonder where I ended up on that list though?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, this list is meaningless, and oddly subjective.

Who actually compiled it? Why did they select the most unlikely photo of him? And out of all his own signiture songs, why did they choose Rhiannon?

Cleary the editor was rolling stoned...and ignorant.