The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Prince in Concert------Spoiler!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler alert-------------Info about the Prince 2004ever Tour. Do not scroll, if you don't want to know about the show. --------------------------------------->

I went to the Prince concert in Knoxville,TN on April 22. It was a fabulous show. He is still just terrific, but his show has changed some from years past due to the fact that he is now a devout Jehovah's Witness, so he didn't sing anything with cuss words (or he glossed over the cuss words) or anything that was flamboyantly sexual (only slight overtones). I was slightly disappointed with that, because that is really what Prince is known for: his sexual side and his spiritual side. Now, it is almost all spiritual side. I want the half sexual/half spiritual Prince back!

Having vented now , in all honesty, he can still light up the stage though. Between his dancing, joking, pleasant attitude, and his guitar playing, the show was truly amazing. He did two sets: an electric set and an acoustic set, which I thought showcased his outstanding guitar talent. He played several different guitars during his sets: a baby blue and white Fender and his purple,"symbol" guitar to name a few.

His band totally rocked. He has a brass section and a piano/keyboardist that were really cool and added a lot to the show. His drummer was totally amazing. He did this amazing playing/stick juggling thing that really wowed the crowd. Prince has really put together one of his better bands for this tour.

My biggest problem with the show was that he only played a verse and/or chorus of some of his songs that I wanted to hear most, instead of playing the entire song! He only played parts of "When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Little Red Corvette, Controversy," and he didn't even play "1999" all night. He also changed some of his lyrics in song to things what were more spiritual and less sexual. For example, in his encore song, Purple Rain, he changed the lyrics "I think you better come and let me guide you to the purple rain." to " I think you better come and let God guide you to the purple rain." The show was only 2 hours long. I think he cut some songs out for the Knoxville show. Not cool.

Some of the songs he played or at least touched on:
Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm A Star
I Feel For You
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
Little Red Corvette
Sometimes It Snows In April
Sign 'O' The Times
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Cream
Raspeberry Beret
Let's Work
Controversy
D.M.S.R.
Kiss
Shhh
U Got The Look
Take Me With U
Life 'O' The Party
On The Couch
Miss You (Rolling Stones!)
Soul Man (Sam and Dave!)
Purple Rain (Encore song)

There may be more songs, but between my friend who went with me and me that is all we remember.

After the concert, my friends and I went to the after party at Liquid Knoxville, which is a club on the campus of the University of Tennessee. We were excited, because Prince and his band were to appear at the after party that followed the show. We waited on Prince at the after party for about an hour and a half. We didn't think that he was going to show up, because we had been waiting for SO long, but he finally appeared in the DJ booth of the club. The DJ started to play "Sexy MF," and Prince made him stop. He told the DJ he wanted him to play something else. (Again with the no explicitly sexual stuff). Prince picked out three songs for the DJ to play "Atomic Dog" by Parliment, "To Be Real," and "Jungle Love" by the Time. His band mixed with the crowd for a while, but Prince left the DJ booth and went to his VIP room.

After he had hung out in his VIP room for a while, he planned on come out into the club. He started into the club from the VIP room, but several d#mb@sses attempted to grab at him and mob him, so he went back into the VIP room. He was planning on walking around and meeting people, but these crazed people screwed it up! One good thing that came out of it was, my friends and I happened to be on the side of the club where he attempted to come in, so we were able to see him up close, which was awesome!

Overall, I was very pleased with the concert and the after party. Prince is still a great showman, guitar player, singer, and dancer. It was very well worth the money overall. Also, an added treat, everyone that attended the show received his new cd, Musicology, for free as you entered the show. That just shows you what kind of person Prince really is!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin

Last edited by golddustwoman77; 04-24-2004 at 10:36 AM..
Old 04-24-2004, 11:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Glad to hear you had such a great experience last night! I have heard that Prince treats his fans like royalty. It is too bad that some people don't think and spoil the fun for the rest of the fans.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up The same thing...

[QUOTE=golddustwoman77]Spoiler alert-------------Info about the Prince 2004ever Tour. Do not scroll, if you don't want to know about the show. --------------------------------------->

I went to the Prince concert in Knoxville,TN on April 22. It was a fabulous show. He is still just terrific, but his show has changed some from years past due to the fact that he is now a devout Jehovah's Witness, so he didn't sing anything with cuss words (or he glossed over the cuss words) or anything that was flamboyantly sexual (only slight overtones). I was slightly disappointed with that, because that is really what Prince is known for: his sexual side and his spiritual side. Now, it is almost all spiritual side. I want the half sexual/half spiritual Prince back!

Having vented now , in all honesty, he can still light up the stage though. Between his dancing, joking, pleasant attitude, and his guitar playing, the show was truly amazing. He did two sets: an electric set and an acoustic set, which I thought showcased his outstanding guitar talent. He played several different guitars during his sets: a baby blue and white Fender and his purple,"symbol" guitar to name a few.

His band totally rocked. He has a brass section and a piano/keyboardist that were really cool and added a lot to the show. His drummer was totally amazing. He did this amazing playing/stick juggling thing that really wowed the crowd. Prince has really put together one of his better bands for this tour.

My biggest problem with the show was that he only played a verse and/or chorus of some of his songs that I wanted to hear most, instead of playing the entire song! He only played parts of "When Doves Cry, Let's Go Crazy, Little Red Corvette, Controversy," and he didn't even play "1999" all night. He also changed some of his lyrics in song to things what were more spiritual and less sexual. For example, in his encore song, Purple Rain, he changed the lyrics "I think you better come and let me guide you to the purple rain." to " I think you better come and let God guide you to the purple rain." The show was only 2 hours long. I think he cut some songs out for the Knoxville show. Not cool.

Some of the songs he played or at least touched on:
Musicology
Let's Go Crazy
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm A Star
I Feel For You
I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man
Little Red Corvette
Sometimes It Snows In April
Sign 'O' The Times
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
Cream
Raspeberry Beret
Let's Work
Controversy
D.M.S.R.
Kiss
Shhh
U Got The Look
Take Me With U
Life 'O' The Party
On The Couch
Miss You (Rolling Stones!)
Soul Man (Sam and Dave!)
Purple Rain (Encore song)

--------------------------

Happened for the OKC show but at in OKC he let the fans who danced on the stage stay instead of having security eject 'em. He seemed really different at the OKC show, But that's cool...People are allowed to change arent they?

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-24-2004, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face

[QUOTE=estranged4life
Happened for the OKC show but at in OKC he let the fans who danced on the stage stay instead of having security eject 'em. He seemed really different at the OKC show, But that's cool...People are allowed to change arent they?[/QUOTE]

I agree, human beings are definitely allowed to change, and Prince is a human being with feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. That isn't left out on me. Therefore, I feel he is allowed to express himself, have any feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. that he chooses. I didn't mean for my post to come across that way at all. I'm sorry if it did, because that isn't what I believe. I just wished that he had played some of his more sexually overtoned songs, because that is some of what I associate with Prince. But hey, you're right. Everyone is allowed to change and grow. I think that he is continuing to grow spiritually, so he is really wanted to share that with his fans. I was just expressing a little disappointment, but I understand. Change can be good! I just have to get used to the new Prince.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Red face I was agreeing with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golddustwoman77
I agree, human beings are definitely allowed to change, and Prince is a human being with feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. That isn't left out on me. Therefore, I feel he is allowed to express himself, have any feelings, emotions, opinions, etc. that he chooses. I didn't mean for my post to come across that way at all. I'm sorry if it did, because that isn't what I believe. I just wished that he had played some of his more sexually overtoned songs, because that is some of what I associate with Prince. But hey, you're right. Everyone is allowed to change and grow. I think that he is continuing to grow spiritually, so he is really wanted to share that with his fans. I was just expressing a little disappointment, but I understand. Change can be good! I just have to get used to the new Prince.
I just thought he seemed different than the person he was years back, I wasnt attacking your statement/opinion, Sorry if I seemed like I was because that wasnt what I was aiming for

I do agree that the sexual tension that was a part of his past catalog is now no longer in the live environment of his songs, Which has made his show a bit disappointing for alot of fans of his older material...

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
I just thought he seemed different than the person he was years back, I wasnt attacking your statement/opinion, Sorry if I seemed like I was because that wasnt what I was aiming for

I do agree that the sexual tension that was a part of his past catalog is now no longer in the live environment of his songs, Which has made his show a bit disappointing for alot of fans of his older material...
Cool, I understand what you are saying. Yes, he is quite different than years past due to his conversion to Jehovah's Witness. He is quite devout. I totally agree with your above statement as well. I'm still glad that I went to the show, because he is still a wonderful showman, etc., so I'm going to have to start dwelling on those aspects of his career now. Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You are so lucky!!

I always wanted to see Prince in concert!

~~

Glad you had a good time!

(referring to the "Death Star" laser)
Dr. Evil- "...I thought we'd name it in his honor: The Alan Parsons Project."
Scott- "The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock band from 1982. Why don't you just name it Operation Wang Chung?"
Old 04-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelies7
You are so lucky!!

I always wanted to see Prince in concert!

~~

Glad you had a good time!

Thanks! You should go while he is touring this summer. It is a pretty extensive tour, so he should be close to you at some point.