User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
And, Mr. Wyatt did tell Gail that he hoped to move the site to a new server & get Sanctuary out of the way.

If by chance they do decide to do something with the site, they'll have to totally re-do it. Right now, the sole purpose of the site is to promote ITM, which is nearly 2 1/2 years old.
Yes the site has served its purpose in terms of promoting ITM so they will have to start from scratch.

But if she's not up to much these days (musically speaking) then I'm not sure what they'd put on it.

Any ideas anyone?

News flash - today Christine decided against taking the dogs for a long walk as it was raining!

Gail

Edit 19:39 They could release some of the outtakes from ITM or other unreleased songs

Last edited by Gailh; 10-25-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Old 10-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sorry all you guys had to deal with this asshole. No one should be able to disturb a forum like that where fans congregate.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Edit 19:39 They could release some of the outtakes from ITM or other unreleased songs
There you go. They're just going to waste sitting on her nephew's computer anyway.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There you go. They're just going to waste sitting on her nephew's computer anyway.
If those unreleased songs sound anything like Come Out and Play, she'd better damn well release them! CO&P was cute.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
i'm bad at explaining these things, but i'll give it a shot.

christine's board and the ledge are both built on php, which is a scripting language. hackers target scripts because they are comprised of so many parts, so the more parts, the more chances there are of finding a weakness that they can exploit.

vbulletin (which the ledge uses) and phpBB (which christine's forum used), are always on the lookout for problems in their code; it's a never ending process. you fix something, someone finds a new way to hack in. you fix that, they find a way to hack through your fix. repeat ad nauseum. so companies are constantly issuing newer versions of their product, or offering security patches, updates, trying to keep one step ahead of idiots like our turkish friends.

in a way, it's kind of like anti virus software: in order to stay alive, it has to keep updating itself.

because there was no one updating christine's site, the exploit the hackers used to get in was never covered by a security patch.

hope that was sort of helpful.
Wow. Thanks! I actually understand it (somewhat) now.

What I can't understand is, what kind of jerk gets a kick out of hacking sites? Talk about a LOSER!
Old 10-25-2006, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As for why Chris would have a website at all when she's retired, well, doesn't everybody have a website? Musicians that are dead have websites. Beethoven has a website! (I actually don't know that he does, but I'll bet he does.) You know what I mean. If the person is continuing to produce new music, it's really important to have a website, but even if they're not, it's important for the fans.

The best musicians' websites are the ones maintained by fans, not by a record company.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

The best musicians' websites are the ones maintained by fans, not by a record company.
Absolutely!

Gail
Old 10-26-2006, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Absolutely!
And the Ledge is the best place of them all!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No truer words were ever spoken.

I remember when I first got online over 7 years ago. I checked out the official Fleetwood Mac website which was maintained by Warner Reprise. They still had Fleetwood Mac out on the Dance tour, 2 years after the Dance tour ended. Originally, I thought the Penguin was the official FM site. It wasn't until a little bit later that I realized it was a fan site.

Last edited by macfan 57; 10-26-2006 at 05:46 AM..
Old 10-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He claimed that Chris spent the entire time that Stevie was in the band being mean to her, notwithstanding that these 2 ladies were/are good friends.

He used horrible, vulgar language regarding Christine. It was worse because at that time there were hardly any Christine fans on the Ledge. He tried to ruin every thread that anyone started about Chris. Someone even joked that maybe he was an old boyfriend of Chris's. But, no he was just a complete lunatic.

um wow. there are a lot of "special" people out here on the net, i guess.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, that does help to explain it. It kind of sounds like the Windows Updates that you have to download & install every month.

I wish you had been in charge of that website. Then those hackers wouldn't have been able to ruin that message board.
LOL thanks! yes, if i had been able to get into the forum control panel i would have made it my mission to virtually b*tchslap them from here to ankara.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As for why Chris would have a website at all when she's retired, well, doesn't everybody have a website? Musicians that are dead have websites. Beethoven has a website! (I actually don't know that he does, but I'll bet he does.) You know what I mean. If the person is continuing to produce new music, it's really important to have a website, but even if they're not, it's important for the fans.

i agree. her website doesn't have to be for promotional purposes. it should just be a celebration of her music and a place for fans to gather, or for new fans to learn about her.

but i wouldn't be opposed to her promoting new material, should the need arise.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember when I first got online over 7 years ago. I checked out the official Fleetwood Mac website which was maintained by Warner Reprise. They still had Fleetwood Mac out on the Dance tour, 2 years after the Dance tour ended.

much like today, where they still have the old SYW stuff posted.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was able to get into the message board on Christine's website just now. I was able to access it by disabling Java in my browser and when I clicked on my bookmark for her message board, it came up. I tried posting a new post and it didn't work, but I was able to read all the old posts. So if anyone wants to rescue a thread from over there and re-start it over here, those threads *are* available.

My browser is Firefox on a Windows system -- I don't know if this would work with Internet Explorer or any of the other browsers. And it doesn't *fix* the problem, just makes it so we can still get that old information. We had some good threads going over there when we got hacked. (May the person who hacked our board be submerged slowly, toe first, in a vat of boiling oil, while being forced to listen to fingernails scraping across a blackboard.)
Old 10-27-2006, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

May the person who hacked our board be submerged slowly, toe first, in a vat of boiling oil, while being forced to listen to fingernails scraping across a blackboard.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits!

Gail

PS Thanks for the info