Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default sheffield 2/11/09

Found this review of last night on Steve Newson dot net:

Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Fleetwood Mac live...

Am coming down from an awesome performance by Fleetwood Mac at Sheffield Arena. If you have a chance to go see them I most heartily recommend. Can't sleep yet so I thought I'd record a few thoughts for posterity.

It was my first time at Sheffield Arena, what a great venue. I much prefer it to the NEC. I managed to trade my two tickets at the back of the arena for 1 ticket just 12 rows from the front plus cash. So had a fantastic view. The only marginal downside was being sat next to the scouser from hell. Clearly short of the odd marble he kept shouting at Lindsey Buckingham to play "Go your own way", which was the last song of the main set, so he kept it up most of the night.

Such minor annoyance could not detract though from the greatness of the Mac. Lindsey Buckingham really is a maestro. I can't think offhand of a better guitarist that I've seen live. Even when he went off into guitar solo heaven he held a meaningful tune that you could not help but tap, sway or dance along to. Contrast that with most solos that show off guitar competency but really aren't musical. Case in point Mick Fleetwood and his drum solo, ok so it proves he can play but I just wanted it to end and them to move onto a song.
Stevie Nicks was fantastic, she's still got one hell of a voice and together with Buckingham they belted out all the great anthems.

Mick Fleetwood and John McVie provide a solid backbone to the band and with supporting cast the delivery was faultless. The only missing member of what you might consider the classic Mac line up was Christie McVie.

I don't know what's happened to the average British concert goer since I last went to a gig, but when did they start all sitting like lemons? You can't go to a live gig like this and not dance! What's the point of shelling out £60 for a ticket if you're not even going to try being moved by the music. If you just want to watch them play competently buy the DVD. Have we lost our soul or is it just good old British stoicism? Have to admit I got up and boogied. Showing my age I guess.

An electrifying night that will live in my memory for some time to come.

Can anyone that was there give us any more details? Any Silver Springs last night?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Sheffield Monday night

Great show last night, lots of energy and the band were in a great mood. The crowd were quite up for Micks little solo so he enjoyed that. Stevie made a little mistake on say yo love me but she seemed to be enjoying the show. Still no Silver Springs though. Ive enclosed a couple of photos. Have a great night if you are going to Birmingham.

Well I was goiung to enclose them but the file size is too large. Not sure how to get around that which is a shame since I was at the stage and had some good shots. Do I need to upload them onto Mediafile or similar?
Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

No Silver Springs and the review was reasonable accurate although I didnt think the crowd were too bad. But then again I was right at the front!

LB is most definitely a maestro and few would argue and i thought the point about his solos having musicality were quite right. He really is a great guitarist and I swear you could literally feel the heat coming off him such was the effort he inputs. There is no going through the motions at all. He lives every note.

Stevies voice was superb and the notes she can no longer hit or sustain shed adapts and the result is always a great performance. She still commands an audience and I think her voice has strengthened through the tour. She looks more at ease than on the last Mac tour.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Junior Ledgie

Awesome.

Can't wait for tonight!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.uk View Post
I don't know what's happened to the average British concert goer since I last went to a gig, but when did they start all sitting like lemons? You can't go to a live gig like this and not dance! What's the point of shelling out £60 for a ticket if you're not even going to try being moved by the music. If you just want to watch them play competently buy the DVD. Have we lost our soul or is it just good old British stoicism? Have to admit I got up and boogied. Showing my age I guess.
I was there! My first Mac gig ever I was really really impressed with the guys, they were pretty much flawless! Stevie was wonderful, I wasn't expecting her voice to be that good towards the end of such a long stint of touring, but she sounded great. And she really got into it during Stand Back which was fun

John and Mick were great too, there were a couple of shouts of "Go on John!" and "Green Manalishi!" which made me smile and Mick's solo was just bizarre.. and my mum mentioned he looks just like Uncle Albert from Only Fools & Horses.. Haha! I can see the resemblance.

But I think the real star was Lindsey.. I know it's been said all tour but he stole the show, he has so much energy and actually getting to see him play live made me realise just what an excellent guitarist he is. He got standing ovations for Big Love and I'm So Afraid.

As for the crowd... The reviewer was right.. They were a right poe faced lot. The only people that were dancing or even standing were right at the front. Me and my mum both wanted to get up for a few songs at least but felt like we couldn't.. We only got to stand for the encore and even then most people sat back down halfway through. Everyone was really just sat there like lemons, not even singing along or nodding their heads. It was frustrating. What is the point of spending that amount of money to see such legends and not enjoying yourself?? But I didn't let it spoil my night, I had a great time!
Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Ledgie

People sitting at a concert?!

That's old people from up north for you!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

I know!! Haha
But I wouldn't have minded so much if people looked like they were actually enjoying themselves.. I don't expect anyone to want to stand for 2 hours straight.. but everyone just looked bored!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Sheffield

I was there!!!! I managed to get to the front quite early on and stood in front of Stevie all night - dancing and swaying along. At one point she looked down at me shouting, smiled & winked which was very cute. I have some photos so I'll try and post them later.

It was an awesome night, I went to the Manchester gig last week but didn't have floor seats and even though they were fantastic then it was even more amazing actually being right there by the stage. Also, I'm sure in MEN Stevie only sang half of Sara, they cut it short, but last night her voice seemed much stronger and she did the entire thing. On the whole she seemed much more relaxed and 'into it' - having fun and dancing around in the background during the solo bits. Trvia for those who care about these things - at one point she got her tambourine ribbon tangled with her mic ones and tore them apart - all in a perfect graceful professional manner without batting an eyelid.

This is turning into a long 1st post! I've been on a buzz all day because of how good the show was - Lindsey was wonderful as usual and my friend reached out to touch his guitar when he came forward, I was busily snapping pics. A great night and a truly brilliant band - so refreshing to see people really playing their instruments instead of relying on computers!

Anyhow, I'll try and post some pictures later
Rhonda
Old 11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was there last night, too. Had to admit, quite a lot of the audience were seated most of the time, though I didn't sit down once. I was on the floor, so saw a good portion of both sides, and was a little disappointed that more weren't standing. I do feel bad for the people behind me, but no way in hell was I just gonna sit there.

I thought they were awesome. I was kinda hoping they'd pull out Silver Springs, but since I saw them do it in 2003, I made my peace with not seeing it this year.

Loved Lindsey. The man is a complete dynamo. I think his energy, enthusiasm and performance shocked my boyfriend a little. He knew he could play, but not to that extent. He completely rocked I'm So Afraid and Oh, Well.

Stevie seemed very relaxed. She introduced the band at the beginning by putting her hand over the mike and saying, 'Let's get this party started' in a deep voice. I loved that! Storms was beautiful, and she really got into Stand Back. I loved that she dedicated Landslide to us since she didn't know anyone in Sheffield.

Mick was a complete loon. He said stuff throughout World Turning, but I couldn't hear him clear enough. I'm pretty sure he was teasing John, though. His enthusiasm and eagerness are still aplenty. He's still very much the daddy of the band. And he was very sweet when he told us to look out for each other at the end.

John will always be John. As he said on the BBC doc, 'I'm a legend in my own mind.' He's right. Didn't say a word, but still drew some of the loudest cheers, I thought. Gotta love him.

All in all it was a fab night. I'm so glad I went and they were definitely worth it.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Newspaper Review

Published Date: 03 November 2009
By Mike Russell

GREATEST hits they promised and greatest hits they delivered - Fleetwood Mac were back last night, thrilling a packed Sheffield Arena.
Five years after they insisted they were calling it a day for good, Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham are on tour again playing songs "just for fun" - and fun it most certainly was.

This was a debut appearance in these parts for the band's most famous incarnation, the one which gave the world the mega-selling Rumours, and they came armed with a fantasy setlist designed to thrill any fan.

Bland it wasn't. Freed from its usual F1 home The Chain roared out of the starting blocks, second song in, with power to spare, while a fierce percussion-led Tusk banished any thought that the Mac are simply gentle easy-listening.

Buckingham in particular seemed determined to prove the band aren't ready for their pipe and slippers just yet, giving many of the rockers like Go Insane the big solo guitar god treatment.

Were you there? What did you think of the gig? Add your comment below.

With Christine McVie opting out of the current reunion, there's more focus on Nicks, whose voice remains strangely ethereal and other-worldly.

You can't go far wrong with a songbook like the Mac's - highlights included Say You Love Me, Sara, Rhiannon, Gold Dust Woman and the mighty Go Your Own Way.

There was even a nod to the original Peter Green-led version of the band, with a punchy version of Oh Well, which was one of the highlights of the night.

While McVie and Fleetwood remain as tight a rhythm section as ever, it's Buckingham and Nicks who now dominate the band, and they had plenty of references to the band's often tumultous past - a living soap opera as famous as any in pop.

Any flabby moments were soon swept away by yet another big tune. Everyone was up and bopping to encore Don't Stop - and on this form no-one will want them to.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...na-.5788818.jp
Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali101 View Post
Great show last night, lots of energy and the band were in a great mood. The crowd were quite up for Micks little solo so he enjoyed that. Stevie made a little mistake on say yo love me but she seemed to be enjoying the show. Still no Silver Springs though. Ive enclosed a couple of photos. Have a great night if you are going to Birmingham.

Well I was goiung to enclose them but the file size is too large. Not sure how to get around that which is a shame since I was at the stage and had some good shots. Do I need to upload them onto Mediafile or similar?
Upload them to photobucket. It would be great to see them!
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Published Date: 04 November 2009

YOU know a strike's making an impact when one of the world's most famous bands delays its show as a result.
On Monday, outside the Arena, a huge queue snakes around its walls as hundreds complain their tickets haven't arrived.

"The band are delaying their show ten minutes," shouts a member of staff, only to repeat her message ten minutes later.

But the wait's worth it.

Fleetwood Mac – despite vowing they would never play again – play a set of classics, including The Chain, Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way, Don't Stop, Say You Love Me and Sara.

And surprisingly, the band play arguably their biggest hit, The Chain, second.

Delivery is impeccable - the world's most famous bass line sounds bigger and more visceral than its does opening the BBC's F1 coverage.

The line-up includes Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lesley Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

Buckingham and Nicks take their perches at the front of the stage, exchanging glances, smiles and even a cuddle throughout the show.

And, remarkably, despite it being 41 years since the Grammy-winning Rumours was released, Nicks' trademark voice – both whisky-laden and ethereal, is superbly unchanged.

At several points throughout the show Nicks disappears behind the stage, emerging wearing a different shawl or a dress.

Her black and deep red floaty costumes reflect the dual-character of her voice – which is are at once other-worldy, earthy and dark.

Buckingham's on form too, elaborating – perhaps a little excessively – on the guitar solo to Go Insane.

He also shines as a soloist, playing intricate acoustic guitar on softer numbers as the band retreat to the back of the stage.

And then, following his lone performances, Buckingham stands at the front of the stage, lapping up the applause – rightly so.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...na-.5792543.jp
Old 11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Published Date: 04 November 2009

YOU know a strike's making an impact when one of the world's most famous bands delays its show as a result.
On Monday, outside the Arena, a huge queue snakes around its walls as hundreds complain their tickets haven't arrived.

"The band are delaying their show ten minutes," shouts a member of staff, only to repeat her message ten minutes later.

But the wait's worth it.

Fleetwood Mac – despite vowing they would never play again – play a set of classics, including The Chain, Rhiannon, Go Your Own Way, Don't Stop, Say You Love Me and Sara.

And surprisingly, the band play arguably their biggest hit, The Chain, second.

Delivery is impeccable - the world's most famous bass line sounds bigger and more visceral than its does opening the BBC's F1 coverage.

The line-up includes Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lesley Buckingham and Stevie Nicks.

Buckingham and Nicks take their perches at the front of the stage, exchanging glances, smiles and even a cuddle throughout the show.

And, remarkably, despite it being 41 years since the Grammy-winning Rumours was released, Nicks' trademark voice – both whisky-laden and ethereal, is superbly unchanged.

At several points throughout the show Nicks disappears behind the stage, emerging wearing a different shawl or a dress.

Her black and deep red floaty costumes reflect the dual-character of her voice – which is are at once other-worldy, earthy and dark.

Buckingham's on form too, elaborating – perhaps a little excessively – on the guitar solo to Go Insane.

He also shines as a soloist, playing intricate acoustic guitar on softer numbers as the band retreat to the back of the stage.

And then, following his lone performances, Buckingham stands at the front of the stage, lapping up the applause – rightly so.

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/...na-.5792543.jp
Where do they get these reporters? Lesley Buckingham?????!!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi
I was at sheffield too on monday night, it was fabulous, I had seen them before for the behind the mask tour obviously minus 'The Buckingham!'
I knew he was going to be good but he blew me away with his energy and just incredible talent, In my younger days i was a Stevie fan as most young girls are but i've come to appreciate Lindsey more and more as the years have gone by. My only moan is that my friend and i had floor seats about 43 rows back, we were standing and dancing and all we and anybody kept getting was " Sit down you selfish buggers" from people screaming at us all behind, the same people who kept shouting "Sing Go your own way" everytime it went quiet. I'm 5ft nothing and my friend isn't much taller so when everyone stood up i couldn't see the stage but i didn't care i could see it all on the screens, we just wanted to let our hair down. One more moan was the same sort of people who kept getting up and walking about during the Lindsey songs, i can't understand it he was captivating! Anyway like i said it was fabulous but i just thought i'd give a reason why people were sitting down, it was due to the constant abuse we were getting.
Kind Regards to every Mac fan
Charlie