Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Saskatoon, SaskTel Centre

New prolific, profound chapter for Fleetwood Mac

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/s...987/story.html

By Cam Fuller, The StarPhoenix

Not that they needed it but Fleetwood Mac got a kind of do-over after their last appearance here only 18 months ago.

That show, in the same venue, was a full-on, fully fulfilling rock show that found the legendary band still playing with commitment and zeal. But it did come with an asterisk in the form of the absent Christine McVie. At the time, it was too much to hope that she’d rejoin her band mates.

But clearly, fear of flying can be beaten, and it was the band’s best-loved lineup that inhabited SaskTel Centre on Wednesday: McVie, Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood and John McVie.

The set list was extensive and, if you think about the millions those songs have earned their creators, expensive — 20 plus massive hits that have become part of the cultural fabric without going out of style.

The Chain opened the show fittingly, since the links are again joined. The sound was full and percussive with forceful vocals by Buckingham (and he was just warming up). The big thrill here though was that iconic bass riff by John near the end. The strings sounded thick as fingers, the fathoms deep notes thumping in your chest.

The fans were sure to welcome Christine back with warm applause when she started singing You Make Loving Fun. Later she expresses her thanks for “a rare chance to do this twice.”

With the missing link back, Stevie Nicks seemed more relaxed and into it. “We don’t get to do snow very often so this is pretty cool,” she said after doing Dreams.

After a stirring, fast Second Hand News it was clear this band was in fantastic form. Almost every song was made to be special — Tusk was almost scary and positively demented. Frequent nature scenes on the huge backdrop added mood to songs like Rhiannon. Not to be overlooked were the two backing players and three backup singers. Even the ballads had guts and drive.

This was no nostalgia act, Buckingham hinted, saying a new, prolific and profound chapter has begun. It’s a big claim but hard to dispute. Mac is back.

The band has seen its share of drama but that’s what you get with strong personalities. The payoff comes when everyone is pulling in the same direction. The concert seemed to concentrate that passion and let it fly, whether it was Fleetwood’s god of thunder drumming on Gold Dust Woman or Buckingham’s furious strumming on the very cool I Know I’m Not Wrong. And with post-deadline landmarks still to pass, whether it was Go Your Own Way or Don’t Stop, the well travelled road of this band seems to extend into the horizon.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When Stevie came out for Landslide, I noticed she was wearing a poppy. She started the Landslide dedication talking about how she spent a lot of time at the Bethesda and Walter Reed hospitals.

She went on to say, "Yesterday, because we were in your country instead of our own country, I wasn't able to celebrate Veterans Day in the United States but I did celebrate it here with you, in my room, watching TV. And this little poppy, I got it in England in 2009 and I've carried it in a book ever since, so I took it out tonight because I wanted to tell you that my dedication is to all of our soldiers, your soldiers, our soldiers that are fighting for peace all over the world. This song goes out to them with a prayer from all of us that they are safe and warm and okay. And so from all of us to all of them, this song is called Landslide."

"Or maybe she's a witch, who transcends the boundaries of time and space, and traveled back to 1981, for her own reference."
Old 11-13-2014, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[click for photos]

The Star Phoenix, November 13, 2014

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/entert...027/story.html

Photos: Fleetwood Mac performs in Saskatoon

About 10,000 people showed up to watch iconic Fleetwood Mac perform in Saskatoon at SaskTel Centre, November 12, 2014. Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and Christine McVie.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac: SaskTel Centre, Saskatoon SK, November 12

By Jacob Morgan, Exclaim

http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/Concerts/f...sk_november_12

When does classic rock begin and end? If the answer is based on what radio listeners hear on many FM stations, it could lie anywhere from the Beatles to Nirvana. Regardless, Fleetwood Mac embody the term perfectly, and with core member Christine McVie back in the fold for the On With The Show tour, which stopped in Saskatoon last night (November 12), that notion is only further cemented.

Fleetwood Mac's history breaks into two eras: the original blues iteration and the later pop version featuring Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham. While McVie's tenure straddles both sides, she is a main part of the second, more successful lineup that created the flawless 1977 album Rumours. The Saskatoon performance began with a series of songs off that record, each emphasizing the strengths of the different musicians.

"The Chain" allowed drummer Mick Fleetwood and bassist John McVie to lock in and get the crowd on their feet. John's lines filled the arena before giving way to Buckingham's first of several clear and soaring guitar solos. You could practically see the Boomer generation growing up before your eyes in a whirlwind of swirling bellbottoms and broken hearts.

Then Christine took the spotlight for "You Make Loving Fun" and the audience learned why Fleetwood declared that the band's "songbird has returned." As she crooned, "I never did believe in miracles/ But I've a feeling it's time to try," it was hard not to tear up at the fear of never knowing a love so strong. The same held true for the mid-set rendition of 1975's "Say You Love Me." Still, her sweetness didn't spill into saccharine, instead countering fellow vocalists Nicks' cocksureness and Buckingham's hyperactivity. Indeed, the two songs after "Loving" were the Nicks-penned "Dreams" and the tightly wound Buckingham tune "Second Hand News."

Nicks, in particular, was a marvel. Draped in layers of flowing black and banging a tambourine when not belting songs like "Rhiannon" or "Gypsy," she exuded the aura of an icon. Watching her spin around on the stage in a trail of fringe felt on par with Roger Daltrey's microphone swing for legendary moves.

An interesting segment came when the band played material off Tusk, the sprawling followup to Rumours. Buckingham's face peered down like an Orwellian pop auteur in the multimedia light display. Eventually, Buckingham performed some stripped-down numbers. The 1980s single "Big Love" was passionate and rousing. He introduced the song, saying it once represented alienation and is now a meditation on change.

For all the fuss made over the relationships that have informed Fleetwood Mac's best work, this variance in interpretation is key to their mass appeal. The lyrics are applicable any personal dramas fans might experience. Planning a career move? Go your own way. Calling your insurance agent because you crashed your car on the first day of winter? Thunder only happens when it's raining.

Less effective than "Big Love," though, was the duet with Nicks for "Never Going Back Again." The punchy production of the Rumours track proved impossible to replicate live. Towards the end, the band went back to their psychedelic roots with extended jams.

Ultimately, the music was so familiar that the show seemed nostalgic even for those not old enough to have taped Farrah Fawcett posters to the inside of their lockers. The group closed with "Go Your Own Way," and played an encore that included "Don't Stop."

Now that's classic rock.