The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default benefit w Chili Peppers Sept 29 - new LB event!

http://silverlakeconservatory.org/be...ic-art/#invite

it's a benefit for music education.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great!

But whoever did the writing/font on that announcement should be shot. (the bit showing in elle's post is not nearly as bad as the full announcement when you click the link she provided).
Old 08-30-2018, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Great!

But whoever did the writing/font on that announcement should be shot. (the bit showing in elle's post is not nearly as bad as the full announcement when you click the link she provided).
Anthony Kiedis - apparently that's the font they use on all Chili Peppers recordings and other stuff. Flea seems to be the champion of this particular charity.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 08-30-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And KD Lang! Wow! Hope there'll be footage of this event for us to savor. Go Linds, you good empathetic man you, getting behind these causes and supporting good public servants too.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/a...edis-mo-ostin/

Anthony Kiedis Still Believes in the Magik of Human Creativity

The Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman talks musical mentorship, Mo Ostin, and the Silverlake Conservatory of Music
By
Gwynedd Stuart -
September 20, 2018

Legendary music executive Mo Ostin almost didn’t seal the deal with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Upon the release of their album Mother’s Milk in ’89, the Peppers went from being an L.A. club band to getting national radio airplay. That’s when the labels came knocking, Warner Bros. among them. Despite Ostin’s industry bona fides—he signed both the Kinks and Jimi Hendrix during his time at Reprise in the ’60s, no big deal—and a reputation for being a friend to artists, he and his label couldn’t compete with the obscene amount of money another label had offered the band.

“We were young and foolish and full of ourselves. We had everyone throwing money at us and promises at us, and we thought it was the greatest thing that had ever happened. We were poor up to that point,” frontman Anthony Kiedis recalls, adding, “We were greedy little youngsters and we went with the biggest check.”

But then Ostin picked up the phone and called the guys, not to lay on a guilt trip or issue empty threats about their future in the industry, but to congratulate them. Kiedis was impressed. To his recollection, bandmate Flea was too. And, as it turned out, Ostin was the only dude who could get them out of their existing contract with EMI. “Between his people skills and genuine Mo-ness we were able to shift gears,” Kiedis recalls. Illustrating that “Mo-ness,” Kiedis says, “He was comfortable breaking bread with royalty or punks from the gutters of Hollywood—it was kind of special.”

Blood Sugar Sex Magik was released on Warner Bros. Records in September 1991 (and turned out to be sort of a big deal). Twenty-seven years later, on September 29, Ostin is being honored for his philanthropy and contributions to music at the Silverlake Conservatory of Music’s annual fundraiser. Started by Flea in 2001, the Conservatory services upward of 800 lessons a week from its state-of-the-art, Barbara Bestor-designed space on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Feliz, not from from its longtime location at Sunset Junction. Students from lower income families are offered scholarships based on need, which is where the annual fundraiser comes in. Each year big names donate their time and art to raise money for the school. This year, k.d. lang, Lindsey Buckingham, and (as usual) the Red Hot Chili Peppers perform; Marc Maron emcees; and works by Cecily Brown, Charming Baker, Ed Ruscha, Shepard Fairey, Gus Van Sant, Urs Fischer, Wes Lang, and others will be auctioned off. (Other auction items include a chance to sit courtside with Flea at a Lakers game and a custom voicemail recording by Sarah Silverman.)

Besides being instrumental in the Chili Peppers’ first brush with breakout success—”He was extremely meaningful to our transition from unknown funkateers to internationally known guys,” Kiedis says—Ostin has been a fervent supporter of the school since it was founded. He’s also donated large sums of money to the music program at his alma mater, UCLA, which is now home to the Evelyn & Mo Ostin Music Center.

Kiedis is a silent member of the Conservatory’s board, but the school’s mission to foster human creativity resonates with him, particularly in what he calls this “Age of Mass Distraction.”

“It’s troubling and confounding but there’s also something about the human spirit that rises above all distractions and hardships—because I consider those distractions too—and make great music and great visual art and everything,” Kiedis says. “We’re still a force to be reckoned with. We send mad beauty into the world, despite our shortcomings. We have that weird thing inside of us, so the school is the perfect spot for someone who’s willing to discover that space. And it’s led by all of these people who’ve dedicated their lives to music rather than making money or being famous or being on Instagram. They want to pass their knowledge on to hungry little kids.”

Kiedis’s friends were his earliest musical mentors. He hadn’t set out to be in bands, but everyone around him was teaming up and making music together. His father, Blackie Dammett, was an actor, and Kiedis had formed an appreciation for obsessively practicing one’s craft. “From time time we were 15, I watched [my friends] make music,” Kiedis says. “I hung out with them and watched their commitment to practicing and rehearsing and all of the sacrifices that come along with that.”

Now the Conservatory—with the help of people like Ostin—is helping other young people grow the same sort of passion for developing their craft. “It’s amazing. The [Conservatory] has a life of its own,” Kiedis says. “Flea was there to start it, but the people who run it from day to day…it’s their mission to just be of service to the world and the community. All we have to do is just keep it going and keep it flowing.”

Silverlake Conservatory of Music’s Annual Benefit Honoring Mo Ostin takes place on Sept. 29; for more ticketing info email events.scm@outlook.com.

RELATED: Artist Tony Berlant and Daughter, Comedian Kate Berlant, Get Personal

Stay on top of the latest in L.A. food and culture. Sign up for our newsletters today.

Old 09-30-2018, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

he played NGBA, Big Love and Trouble, all acoustically. there are pieces of NGBA and BL in video clips below.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he played NGBA, Big Love and Trouble, all acoustically. there are pieces of NGBA and BL in video clips below.
I know you guys are missing the slowed down version of NGBA. LMAO
Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

click through, there are bunch of pics in this IG post, including the one with Mo Ostin.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default apparently Trouble is FM song - who knew?

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...sey-buckingham

Flea's Silverlake Conservatory of Music Benefit Raises More Than $1 Million with Help from RHCP, K.D. Lang and Lindsey Buckingham
10/2/2018 by Melinda Newman

Photo credit: Marc Patrick/BFA.com
Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Flea and Anthony Kiedis honor Mo Ostin at the annual benefit for Flea’s Silverlake Conservatory of Music, Sept. 29, in Los Angeles.

With a little help from his friends, Red Hot Chili Peppers’ bassist Flea raised more than $1 million Sept. 29 for the Silverlake Conservatory of Music, the Los Angeles music school he co-founded in 2001.

The intimate event attended by around 300 people, including Brad Pitt, was emceed by comedian Marc Maron and held in the parking lot of the school’s new home on Hollywood Blvd. The evening featured performances by Lindsey Buckingham, k.d. lang, and RHCP, as well as a silent auction with artwork and photographs by David Hockney, Ed Ruscha, Shepard Fairey, Cecily Brown and a host of other artists. People opened up their wallets throughout the evening — at one point an industry executive told Billboard that he had placed cumulative bids of more than $500,000 on art.

The musical line-up, all artists who have been affiliated with Warner Bros. Records, came to pay homage to the evening’s honoree, the beloved, legendary former WB Records chairman, Mo Ostin. The 91-year old Ostin has been a supporter of the school, which gives lessons to more than 800 kids annually, since it opened.

Buckingham, who embarks on a solo tour Oct. 7, noted “when Flea called me and asked if I’d do this, I didn’t hesitate a bit” because he was eager to champion the cause and praise Ostin for celebrating the music, not just the bottom line. He recalled how Fleetwood Mac originally signed with Warner Bros. in the late ‘60s, several years before he and Stevie Nicks joined in 1975. “I don’t believe the band was really turning much of a profit, if any, for Warner Bros. at that time, yet Mo, in his wisdom, in his vision, with his heart and his soul, felt there was something going on here that might well lead to something…if he allowed the band to ferment…he did that. 1975 came along, Stevie and I joined and, well, you know what happened. That kind of opportunity, that kind of happy accident exists far less in the music business today. Yes, it’s a comment on the business as well, but it’s more a comment on the man who has heart, who has vision, integrity, who loves music and loves to see it get to as many people as possible in the right way. I can honestly say that without Mo Ostin, I would not be standing up here tonight.”

Buckingham opened with “Shut Us Down,” from his 2006 solo album, Under the Skin, before he delivered three Fleetwood Mac songs, “Trouble,” “Never Going Back Again,” and “Big Love.”

In a taped piece, the members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers talked about how even though they had decided to sign with another label in 1991 after leaving EMI, Ostin’s gentlemanly congratulatory call caused them to change their minds and sign with Warner Bros., where they remain to this day. Flea recalled their inaugural visit to Ostin’s stately home, which came complete with a butler. “The first thing I did was strip down naked and jump in his pool,” Flea laughed.

Music Exec Mo Ostin Donates $10 Million to UCLA for Music Facilities
READ MORE
Music Exec Mo Ostin Donates $10 Million to UCLA for Music Facilities
As he accepted his award, a sculpture of an owl by Thomas Houseago, Ostin joked that as touched as he was to be the evening’s honoree he “tries my very best never to be honored. When I am asked, I almost always pass, and trust me, at my age, you really hate to use the word pass.

“I am standing here tonight because I have learned there is no event quite like this one and, more importantly, there is no place anywhere quite like the Silverlake Conservatory.” He then told the story of how Flea, after realizing that school arts programs were being cut, including at his alma mater, Los Angeles’ Fairfax High School, was inspired “to be part of changing this ridiculous situation….My life and working with everyone from Frank Sinatra to Jimi Hendrix has given me a front row seat to see how music can change the world for the better…Yet all too often short-side politicians and bureaucrats have made the terrible decision that music education is some expendable frill. That is why we are all so fortunate that concerned citizens like Flea, Anthony and their partners created this institution. In a world where many things are wrong, the Silverlake Conservatory of Music is a place that is doing something very important in bringing music to our lives and the lives of our children and grand children, so thank God to Flea and everybody at the Silverlake Conservatory of Music.”

Lang, who followed Ostin, often wandered into the audience during her sublime set that included “Still Thrives This Love,” “Don’t Smoke in Bed,” “You Will Walk in Good Company,” and concluded with her magnificent rendition of Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah,” that held the audience spellbound.

Red Hot Chili Peppers closed the night with a rambunctious performance that opened with a cover of Allman Brothers Band’s “Ramblin’ Man” (in honor of Warner Bros. once distributing Capricorn Records) and closed with Hendrix’s “Purple Haze,” with a slew of their own tunes, among them “Dark Necessities,” “I Like Dirt,” “By the Way,” and “Under the Bridge,” inbetween.

Among the industry executives in attendance were former and current Warner Bros. Records execs Lenny Waronker, Jeff Ayeroff, Tom Corson and Aaron Bay-Schuck; artist managers Cliff Burnstein and Peter Mensch (who have managed RCHP since 1999), Ian Montone and John Silva; attorneys Eric Greenspan (who has represented the Peppers for 35 years) and Craig Marshall; Azoff MSG Entertainment’s Susan Genco, WME’s Marc Geiger, Kobalt’s Willard Ahdritz, UMPG’s Marc Cimino, producer Peter Asher and A&M co-founder Jerry Moss.