The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Official Youtube Channel (Love Shines)

Apologies- this may well be better suited to the post-Rumours forum, but its more of a general nod to the Youtube channel as much as the song itself. Moderators- please move it if you feel it pertinent to do so

Just a word to say the Official Fleetwood Mac Youtube channel now features a clean and crisp version of the Love Shines video. This video ranks as one of my very favourite FM videos but up until this was uploaded there was only a grainy 'recorded from TV' version available to view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dreb73rgpQc

Ahhhh. I could have taken more from that particular iteration of the band.
The video is so warm and vibrant.

(also unsure of whether there were good versions of Save Me or Skies the Limit out there previously either).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-10-2019, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I prefer hear of Stone by a large margin but I agree, more of this era would’ve been great.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-10-2019, 09:53 PM

I prefer Heart of Stone, but watching Love Shines reminds me of how amazing her writing is.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
the Official Fleetwood Mac Youtube channel now features a clean and crisp version of the Love Shines video.
I didn't know Rick Vito wasn't in FM anymore at this point.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I didn't know Rick Vito wasn't in FM anymore at this point.
Yes, just Love Shines and Heart of Stone, I think. It made for a nice little band.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-11-2019, 07:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, just Love Shines and Heart of Stone, I think. It made for a nice little band.
I'm sure I can hear Stevie on background vocals on Heart of Stone, though. She's quite distinct at one or two points of the song...
Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I'm sure I can hear Stevie on background vocals on Heart of Stone, though. She's quite distinct at one or two points of the song...
Now you mention it...I'm not sure. I'd always thought those two songs were companion pieces that were recorded together and neither featured Stevie- but having just listened to it carefully, I get what you say.

Just looked up Billy's book 'Crazy Like Me' (its a really tough book to look anything up in- its chronologically all over the place). He says;

'I was in a few incarnations of the band. There was one time in the life of Fleetwood Mac (after Stevie quit in '90), after a really successful tour, there were only four of us in the band. John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie and me. Christine did not want to tour but she started sitting in with us on the records. So we went into the studio and cut three or four songs for the box set.'

...so I don't know.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it's not Stevie on background vocals on the chorus I don't know who else it could be. Maybe she just added them as a favour long after the other four finished the track.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Just looked up Billy's book 'Crazy Like Me' (its a really tough book to look anything up in- its chronologically all over the place). He says;

'I was in a few incarnations of the band. There was one time in the life of Fleetwood Mac (after Stevie quit in '90), after a really successful tour, there were only four of us in the band. John McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Christine McVie and me. Christine did not want to tour but she started sitting in with us on the records. So we went into the studio and cut three or four songs for the box set.'
Thanks for sharing. There isn't much information in the web about those years, and I've always been intrigued to know more about that era.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Patrick Leonard (Madonna fame) produced these two songs, and his brief work here easily overshadows the work Greg Ladanyi did with the band in 1990.

I looked up Leonard’s discography and found that he also produced an old Duncan Sheik album (remember the guy who recorded a Mac song for one of those tribute albums?) and “Some Become Strangers” by the songwriters the Williams Brothers (a year after Stevie covered the song for Rock a Little).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-13-2019, 04:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Patrick Leonard (Madonna fame) produced these two songs, and his brief work here easily overshadows the work Greg Ladanyi did with the band in 1990.

I looked up Leonard’s discography and found that he also produced an old Duncan Sheik album (remember the guy who recorded a Mac song for one of those tribute albums?) and “Some Become Strangers” by the songwriters the Williams Brothers (a year after Stevie covered the song for Rock a Little).
Those two songs are among the best in the whole C McVie-Mac catalog. That they were achieved without Lindsey’s guidance is, for this band, remarkable. The songs on TIME also overshadow MASK, but they aren’t nearly as well-conceived as Leonard's productions.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Those two songs are among the best in the whole C McVie-Mac catalog. That they were achieved without Lindsey’s guidance is, for this band, remarkable. The songs on TIME also overshadow MASK, but they aren’t nearly as well-conceived as Leonard's productions.
There are some odd squeaky frets, though, on "Heart of Stone"! "As long as you follow" is a better song, but Ladanyi's production makes it sound a mite too syrupy. The title track on BTM is the only song on that album I actively like. "All over again" is probably my favourite song of Chris's from 88-95. I remember having tears in my eyes when I first heard it 24 years ago.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I agree. I can hear her also.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those two songs(Heart of Stone & Love Shines) are among the best in the whole C McVie-Mac catalog. That they were achieved without Lindsey’s guidance is, for this band, remarkable.
Never gave this any thought until now and you are right. But Patrick Leonard is famous for producing Madonna so FM certainly got their money's worth. Sadly the public didn't give these songs a chance.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I thought the same thing. She was a bit more adventurous in this period without LB.

Heart of Stone
Love Shines
Sooner or Later
Behind the Mask
As Long As You Follow (although it could have been a bit tougher) but that was the era