User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
No. Total figment of my overactive imagination. They totally didn’t dress up Billy like Lindsey when they did that initial press conference and photoshoot.

I don't think wearing a grey suit jacket qualifies as being dressed up like Lindsey just because he also sometimes wore a grey suit jacket. Not to mention that picture is from the Tusk tour 7-8 years before Ricky and Billy joined though. By the 80s Lindsey had a very different look. The farmer in a silent movie outfit from the Mirage tour and then the massive Eraserhead hair, weird Go Insane outfits and makeup.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Agreed. Mick's uniform, as ridiculous as he looks, is largely unchanged. Christine weathered thru the 80's okay. I have to say, once John got rid of the cut-offs, I think he's been pretty consistent throughout the years. I think it's Stevie's big "80's" Hair coupled with some horrendous outfits that really gives her the edge.
Stevie had some of the worst 80s outfits I've ever seen in my entire life. They were so bad omg. And her hair with the obvious extensions was a mess. How she went from her trend-setting 70s looks to THAT will forever blow my mind. I realize the 80s fashions did a number on everyone but she was just exceptionally bad.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Stevie had some of the worst 80s outfits I've ever seen in my entire life. They were so bad omg. And her hair with the obvious extensions was a mess. How she went from her trend-setting 70s looks to THAT will forever blow my mind. I realize the 80s fashions did a number on everyone but she was just exceptionally bad.

that big puff ball hairdo was THE.WORST.EVER.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think wearing a grey suit jacket qualifies as being dressed up like Lindsey just because he also sometimes wore a grey suit jacket. Not to mention that picture is from the Tusk tour 7-8 years before Ricky and Billy joined though. By the 80s Lindsey had a very different look. The farmer in a silent movie outfit from the Mirage tour and then the massive Eraserhead hair, weird Go Insane outfits and makeup.

Yep, they gray jacket was pure coincidence.

Nevermind the fact Billy’s jacket seems like it’s too big, but they were clearly trying to mimic Lindsey’s look in a way Finn and Campbell couldn’t and wouldn’t need to.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 11-04-2018 at 09:23 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
that big puff ball hairdo was THE.WORST.EVER.
Coupled with when she went strapless with the plunging sweetheart neckline. OHHHH and the hats , the damn hats. Some of them were just epic! The only blessing of this tour is she lost the top hat during "GYOW"
Old 11-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Yep, they gray jacket was pure coincidence.

Nevermind the fact Billy’s jacket seems like it’s too big, but they were clearly trying to mimic Lindsey’s look in a way Finn and Campbell couldn’t and wouldn’t need to.
I mean it's possible...it's also possible that it's just a grey jacket.
And 'too big' was the thing in the 80s. Very Miami Vice.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Coupled with when she went strapless with the plunging sweetheart neckline. OHHHH and the hats , the damn hats. Some of them were just epic! The only blessing of this tour is she lost the top hat during "GYOW"
They were sooooooooo bad. Sooooooo bad. And the giant cross necklaces. And the vampire lady gloves that she wore on top of her long long nails. Just. Yikes.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
They were sooooooooo bad. Sooooooo bad. And the giant cross necklaces. And the vampire lady gloves that she wore on top of her long long nails. Just. Yikes.
I had pretty much tuned out of FM during this phase so when I see pics from this era I don't have that sense of familiarity about when and where they were taken (like I do with 70s and early to mid 80s stuff) and I just find myself in awe of how frikkin baaaaaaad her getups were. Even for the times those were B.A.D.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Short John Silver looks like he just rolled off his yacht fresh from a month in the Caribbean with a few cases of rum.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 11-04-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 11-04-2018, 11:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
Short John Silver looks like he just rolled off his yacht fresh from a month in the Caribbean with a few cases of rum.
This was always my favorite look for John!

I don't remember, was he still drinking at this point?
Old 11-04-2018, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't remember, was he still drinking at this point?
I don't mean to be facetious but I never knew he stopped drinking.
At the very least during an interview for The Dance with Stevie and Lindsey, Stevie mentions that he still had a drinking problem.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...n-gang-243176/
Quote:
“John,” says Nicks, “drinks too much. And that’s why Chris and John aren’t together. Period. And John knows that he needs to quit, but you know none of us are going to go over there and nail him to the wall. So hopefully it will all be OK. You know, I pray every day, ‘Please, God, just take care of John.'”
Edit: Then again, once Stevie gets talking she may forget what era she is in.

Edit 2: Truly bizarre quote from Stevie:
Quote:
“I think,” says Buckingham, “some people are probably getting the impression that we are back together or something along those lines. Which is certainly not true. Not yet, anyway. You never know. I don’t foresee that at all. But, you know, things . . .”
Stevie Nicks sits up very straight when she hears that notion: “Over my dead body. See, I don’t want to be part of that darkness. He knows that. When we’re up there singing songs to each other, we probably say more to each other than we ever would in real life. If you offered me a passionate love affair and you offered me a high-priestess role in a fabulous castle above a cliff where I can just, like, live a very spiritual kind of religious-library-communing-with-the-stars, learning kind of existence, I’m going to go for the high priestess.”
Yeah, sure Stevie... Lindsey is the one with the "darkness."

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 11-04-2018 at 11:37 PM..
Old 11-05-2018, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would think that's an older quote than that. Wasn't it in Mick's first book that John had gotten so bad that he was on the floor, having seizures, and knew it was time to stop(and I thought this happened around the Tango era)? I thought that by the Dance that he'd stopped completely.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I would think that's an older quote than that. Wasn't it in Mick's first book that John had gotten so bad that he was on the floor, having seizures, and knew it was time to stop(and I thought this happened around the Tango era)? I thought that by the Dance that he'd stopped completely.
Look at that second quote I posted from Stevie if you want a reason for John to have fallen back off the wagon.
Even Christine was downing a bottle of red each night at that point if I remember correctly.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. Total figment of my overactive imagination. They totally didn’t dress up Billy like Lindsey when they did that initial press conference and photoshoot.
You're being so farfetched and so asinine that I'm getting pissed at you. However, here's an idea: Send Billy a tweet and ask him whether Mick made him dress like Lindsey when he (Billy) joined the band. If Billy says yes, I'll eat your hat. Do you have a clean hat?

Oh, look, Mick even made Billy put on gray menswear at a ZOO concert. Mick can be a cruel, bossy man.

And damned if Mick didn't also force Billy to wear gray menswear on his 1985 solo album.

Quote:
And, I’m sure it was purely coincidental that Billy played a white Les Paul Custom.
Maybe. I don't know. Mick made some guitar demands on Lindsey in 1975, too. You'd have to ask Billy.

Quote:
I never said that it didn’t end or that Billy came into his own, but he was minor enough that they could do that with him.
Assume for a minute that Billy's clothes intentionally matched old Lindsey looks (chosen at random from a multiyear scrapbook, by the looks of it). How do you know it wasn't Billy himself deciding he wanted to look that way? He loved Lindsey. Why blame Fleetwood? Still, your "theory" is preposterous, and my suggestion is creepy.

Quote:
Even in their solo/duo sets. That will never change. For any of them. I’m not sure that should be the goal, though.
It sounds like a great goal to me. But I guess it depends on whether you want to play stadiums or intimate theaters and such, and even more important whether you want to challenge yourself and your audience, or merely feed the Big Machine. Imagine a band that was so proud of the way Tusk confounded listeners' expectations in 1979 that it never again tried to tread old ground in studio and onstage, preferring instead to consistently make truly new music and keep only a few artifacts of the 1977 halcyon days in its stage shows. Imagine a band ballsy enough to ditch most of the Rumours songs from subsequent sets in favor of the new. Sounds great to me as audience.

moviekinks.blogspot.com