Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why is Helen Hunt Awkward

This is a review of the new Helen Hunt movie, Then She Found Me. A woman, April, is united with her biological mother Bernice. What I want to know is, if being an FM fan is one of the symptoms of Bernice's awkwardness, as described by the reviewer:

Excerpt from The Star:

http://http://www.thestar.com/entert...article/418195

If the movie had turned Bernice into a contemptible clown, it would have soured everything. In fact, the relationship of April and Bernice is more interesting than April's affair with Frank, and constitutes the soul of the movie. Need encounters need, but not in a craven manner.

April, with her perpetual air of being nonplussed and her awkwardness – she leaves coins instead of dollar bills in a tip jar, explaining, "I'm a teacher," and confesses that her favourite rock group is Fleetwood Mac – forms an effective contrast to Bernice.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
This is a review of the new Helen Hunt movie, Then She Found Me. A woman, April, is united with her biological mother Bernice. What I want to know is, if being an FM fan is one of the symptoms of Bernice's awkwardness, as described by the reviewer:

Excerpt from The Star:

http://http://www.thestar.com/entert...article/418195

If the movie had turned Bernice into a contemptible clown, it would have soured everything. In fact, the relationship of April and Bernice is more interesting than April's affair with Frank, and constitutes the soul of the movie. Need encounters need, but not in a craven manner.

April, with her perpetual air of being nonplussed and her awkwardness – she leaves coins instead of dollar bills in a tip jar, explaining, "I'm a teacher," and confesses that her favourite rock group is Fleetwood Mac – forms an effective contrast to Bernice.
Well, yes, it is not as hip to say you are into FM as it would be to say you are into, say... Arcade Fire. FM was never really considered "cool" back in their heyday and for whatever reason, they have managed to escape being "cool" in a retro kind of way ala Springsteen, Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc. They have always been a bit of a guilty pleasure, I suppose. To many people, I suspect saying you like FM is probably not unlike saying you are into Air Supply.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, yes, it is not as hip to say you are into FM as it would be to say you are into, say... Arcade Fire.
But hipper than saying you like Abba.

Michele
Old 04-26-2008, 01:34 AM
Ledgie

Hello all--- For whatever it's worth, I'd rather love FM than be "hip"! Oh well. Best always, Madelow.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Junior Ledgie

I must be a real nerd because I always considered loving FM to be the coolest thing about me.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But hipper than saying you like Abba.

Michele
HEY!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
HEY!!!
Mamma Mia!

Michele
Old 04-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
To many people, I suspect saying you like FM is probably not unlike saying you are into Air Supply.

I was into Air Supply -- I wanted Making Love Out of Nothing at All, played at my wedding, but the band didn't know it. So they played John Denver's Lady---are you crying...

Then they played Kenny Rogers "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.."

All of which, were very appropriate for a wedding....and a nameless band playing in the small town of Randolph, Nebraska.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mamma Mia!

Michele
don't mess with ABBA
Old 04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shame Train Steams Ahead

Excerpt from U-Wire. http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=783646

Let me start by laying down the one obvious ground rule: As much as I hate to admit it in a squabble over music, “good” is whatever you decide it is, and it’s completely subjective to taste. That’s exactly why I don’t believe in guilty pleasures. I like Fleetwood Mac, for instance, but I don’t feel the least bit guilty about it—if I did, then I wouldn’t truly like them. If you’re into music that most think is bad, revel in that fact; it will help you form unique tastes that aren’t manufactured by music merit factories like Pitchfork, Billboard or that friend of yours who’s always talking about music.

When no one likes something I like, it only strengthens my convictions that I’m right and that others just don’t get it. For example, no one really likes the Vines anymore, and this makes my belief that they’re a bang-up psychedelic/garage/pop band seem all the more relevant and infallible.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Movie Synopsis from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

Bette plays irrepressible Bernice, the popular Oprah-esque local TV show host, who has finally decided to showcase her own case on her own show. But April is not pleased. She'd rather this mother-and-child reunion stay more than a motion picture away. But Bernice won't be denied instant intimacy from the moment they meet:

Bernice: "Tell me something about yourself!"

April: "Um, I like Fleetwood Mac."

Bernice: "I'm very verbal during sex."

April: "I'm afraid of drowning."

Bernice: "During sex?"

April is very cranky. She has enough trust issues already. "You're sitting on anger," says Bernice. April demands to know who her real father was. Bernice confides the shocking secret: he was Steve McQueen.

April rushes out and rents "The Getaway," examining McQueen's every pore, until informed that Steve was making "Sand Pebbles" in China when April was conceived.

April gets crankier. Birth-mom from hell is a liar. "It will not happen again," Bernice swears. But it does. So does Bernice's insinuation into April's life, the mother stealing quick side glances to gauge her melodramatic blarney's impact on the daughter.

The serio to balance the comic is supplied by charming Englishman Frank (Colin Firth), a single dad whose son is in April's class. Frank -- also recently dumped and currently disillusioned -- is as unripe for romance as April, which means, of course, there will be one. But it will be complicated when April finds out she's pregnant as a result of having "break-up sex" with Ben. Both Frank and Ben show up at the doctor's office for April's first sonogram. And who do you think plays the gynecologist?

Dr. Salmon Rushdie, at your cervix!

He's good, too. No Satanic verses or nurses in his scenes. Who knew he could act?