The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-07-2003, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Why it surprises me 'Silver Springs' is on the setlist...

I think it kind of takes away from 'The Dance.' I also think it is such a layered story. Chris and John are in there somewhere. Kind of like Stevie's 'Group Song.' So it is just weird to hear it without Chris on harmony...

Randy
Old 07-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree, Randy. While I'm not surprised it's there, since so many people want to hear it, I'm not exactly happy to see it on the setlist. For me, The Dance tour was all about Silver Springs. It was like the entire show built up to that one song. Then, a million emotions were released in an eruption that lead to the last few songs in the set.

I knew they wouldn't be able to top that with the new tour. And I don't really think they are trying to give it the same emotional impact. I think they just kinda put it in because it was a success in '97. I've read a few reviews where Stevie seems to be punching it up a little, but yeah, without Chris and without the "oomph" from The Dance, I'd just as soon they left it out and let the song breath a while.

Maybe they could have subbed "I Don't Want To Know" for it.

Mike B.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Junior Ledgie

I'm not complaining. It's my favorite Fleetwood Mac song.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Ledgie

This isn't about Silver Springs in concert but...

I was interested to see, looking at the DVD audio of "Rumours," that "Silver Springs" has been reinserted into the album, not just as a bonus track, but as track 6. "Songbird" has been moved to the end, after "Gold Dust Woman." Do you suppose the remastered "Rumours" will have the same tracklisting? It's an interesting move, when "Rumours" is such an iconic record, to mess with the running order like that (not that SS doesn't deserve to be on the album).
Old 07-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by squealy
This isn't about Silver Springs in concert but...

I was interested to see, looking at the DVD audio of "Rumours," that "Silver Springs" has been reinserted into the album, not just as a bonus track, but as track 6. "Songbird" has been moved to the end, after "Gold Dust Woman." Do you suppose the remastered "Rumours" will have the same tracklisting? It's an interesting move, when "Rumours" is such an iconic record, to mess with the running order like that (not that SS doesn't deserve to be on the album).
I also have the Rumours DVD audio disk and I personally think the running order is better than the orginal. Silver Springs should ALWAYS have been on that final version of the album (we as Mac fans of course all know this ) And I think Songbird is better at the end of the track list cause it was always used as a show closing song and it also closes off the album very well .

Silver Springs is an awesome song live and is good with or without Chris' vocals IMO

Love and happiness from Sarah
Old 07-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
I agree, Randy. While I'm not surprised it's there, since so many people want to hear it, I'm not exactly happy to see it on the setlist. For me, The Dance tour was all about Silver Springs. It was like the entire show built up to that one song. Then, a million emotions were released in an eruption that lead to the last few songs in the set.

I knew they wouldn't be able to top that with the new tour. And I don't really think they are trying to give it the same emotional impact. I think they just kinda put it in because it was a success in '97. I've read a few reviews where Stevie seems to be punching it up a little, but yeah, without Chris and without the "oomph" from The Dance, I'd just as soon they left it out and let the song breath a while.

Maybe they could have subbed "I Don't Want To Know" for it.

Mike B.
I hear ya, I was afraid that SS was going to fall flat without Christine and especially without that emotional "tension" between Stevie and Lindsey just having reunited and working together again; before the "beginning of their closure" and all. However, I thought they did a fantastic job live without these factors and I was totally entranced in Stevie's performance. I guess we should just all be resigned to the fact that SS will never again be performed the way it was during The Dance, I mean all the factors that made it a dramatic masterpiece are not in line anymore.