User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Even though I've yet to purchase the other 3 remastered/extended albums, I hate that they appeared to have stopped with Tusk.

I suppose the first 3 didn't sell that well?
I don't understand the concern about the re-releases selling well. These are older albums -- they are not going to bust up the charts. It's a matter of expectations and one of principle.

I have hundreds of CDs of old albums that have been re-released, revamped and with bonus tracks. Most of them are vastly obscure in comparison to prominent albums such as Mirage and Tango in the Night.

These CDs are released, not with intent to sell big, but to appeal to a niche fan base. You can safely say that a band on the level of Fleetwood Mac is anything but a niche fan base. So why are they deemed exempt??

I wonder if any the boutique labels that specialize in this market have ever approached Warner Brothers (or whoever owns the rights) to lease out the rights to Fleetwood Mac music to release their albums? That's best case senario. Otherwise, Warner Brothers seems completely ambivilant.

Perhaps we should start a ground-swell, and bombard Warner with our collective power, and demand them to do the right thing, because there are many fans that want these things, and they disrespecting the historical significance of one of their cash-cows!

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-31-2011 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I don't understand the concern about the re-releases selling well. These are older albums -- they are not going to bust up the charts. It's a matter of expectations and one of principle.

These CDs are released, not with intent to sell big, but to appeal to a niche fan base.
I agree, but the answer is in Warner Bros. They maybe not reached the expected numbers. Maybe the revenue didn't covered the cost of edition, production, logistics, distribution, etc. At the end it's a matter of business, specially for the record company. If they didn't get enough revenue, why to continue on this unsuccessful idea? Record companies (as ALL business) think in terms of $, not fans.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree, but the answer is in Warner Bros. They maybe not reached the expected numbers. Maybe the revenue didn't covered the cost of edition, production, logistics, distribution, etc. At the end it's a matter of business, specially for the record company. If they didn't get enough revenue, why to continue on this unsuccessful idea? Record companies (as ALL business) think in terms of $, not fans.
Hmmm...WB (or subsidiaries of WB) re-issued remastered versions of entire catalogues by:

CSN(&Y)
Genesis
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton
Cream
Buffalo Springfield
Elvis Costello (ok, so exactly how MANY times has his entire catalogue been reissued? First Sony, then Rykodisc, then Rhino (a WB Co), now who?)

You can't tell me that Fleetwood Mac doesn't belong in that group...I would think that Fleetwood Mac reissues would outsell just about every one of those groups except LZ.

The only hold up, that I can think of off the top of my head regarding the entire catalogue is because everything prior to Heroes Are Hard To Find are still under "ownership" of Clifford Davis. But, still, that doesn't mean they can't move forward with all the post-Tusk albums, too.

Instead of the never ending new ways to repackage Greatest Hits & Best Of... & VERY Best Of... compilations, try redoing the catalogue and see if the total catalogue sales numbers don't exceed any one of those "hits" packages.

Last edited by chiliD; 02-01-2011 at 06:16 PM..
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that the artist pay for everything. The artist don't see a dime till all the cost of edition, production, logistics, distribution, etc are met. So it does not cost them a thing. That is why they can afford their own island!! If they would gotten on the digital download bandwagon say 10 years ago the record company guys would have been even richer instead of trying to sell their company. Anyway, I would rather have something like this in the CD format so that I can get the artwork and everything with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Old 02-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Hmmm...WB (or subsidiaries of WB) re-issued remastered versions of entire catalogues by:

CSN(&Y)
Genesis
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Eric Clapton
Cream
Buffalo Springfield
Elvis Costello (ok, so exactly how MANY times has his entire catalogue been reissued? First Sony, then Rykodisc, then Rhino (a WB Co), now who?)

You can't tell me that Fleetwood Mac doesn't belong in that group...I would think that Fleetwood Mac reissues would outsell just about every one of those groups except LZ.

The only hold up, that I can think of off the top of my head regarding the entire catalogue is because everything prior to Heroes Are Hard To Find are still under "ownership" of Clifford Davis. But, still, that doesn't mean they can't move forward with all the post-Tusk albums, too.

Instead of the never ending new ways to repackage Greatest Hits & Best Of... & VERY Best Of... compilations, try redoing the catalogue and see if the total catalogue sales numbers don't exceed any one of those "hits" packages.
Exactly my thoughts.

It's not just that those big artists have been remastered and rereleased. I've got remasters from bands that sold a fraction of the numbers the Mac did by obscure hard rock/metal bands from the 80s (Pentagram and Angel Witch) so if they can come out then Mirage and TITN have no excuse not to be release.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.rhino.com/article/new-upcoming-products

no mention here
Old 02-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So where did the person who edited the wiki article get this "information"?

I guess he or she just made it up?
Old 02-02-2011, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
So where did the person who edited the wiki article get this "information"?

I guess he or she just made it up?
And that's the original question of this thread. I was looking for sources but couldn't find a thing at the web. It seems there is no official or reliable announcement. There is no activity at the News section in fleetwoodmac.com since sep 2009 (yeah well, that website is always lazy).

I guess if it were true, Stevie's website would mention it also.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish it was true that we'd get re-issues's to 'Live' Mirage' 'Tango' (though not my favorite) and 'Mask' too I think its long over due for them even if they did them in small quanities I know I'd love it and buy it. Same with a dvd of all there video's would be really nice. (Same with Stevie's solo lp's--at least the first 4 of them anyway) though it doesn't appear to be happening. There really missing the boat on this. Lindsey needs his own box set too of his solo material with a dvd included for his solo videos too. Its really a shame but I guess its there choice.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Junior Ledgie

I wish they would get on with it and put out a Mirage Remaster. It's an album I love but it hurts my ears listening to the crappy sound quality on the CD. Everything is muffled and flat. I think it would really do well and get reviewed as a bit of a hidden gem in the FM catalogue since that particular 80s sound is very in vogue at the moment. I can only imagine how amazing a properly mastered version would sound since the production is actually pretty fantastic behind the awful CD mix...
And am I the only person that loves "Empire State"? :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

The again, they might be hoping for another FM album or tour or both and they'll capitalize on it like they did in 2004. People tend to go and buy back catalogue music when a band has released something new.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
And am I the only person that loves "Empire State"?
I know many people disliked E.S. I do like it, not love that much, but like it. My favorite is Can't go back
Old 02-09-2011, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post
And am I the only person that loves "Empire State"?
I love this song. I NEVER skip it when playing the CD.