The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: 2016 - what will LB do?
FM album will finally come out in 2015, wrapping up current FM activities before the start of 2016 18 54.55%
tour solo in 2016 10 30.30%
work on new solo album in 2016 13 39.39%
work with other non-FM related artists on their projects in 2016 2 6.06%
take a year off in 2016 4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 2016 - what will LB do?

i was happy to see some names popping into the 2014 thread that i haven't seen on TL in a long, long time. so maybe it's time to revive LB forum a bit, instead of just discussing his current endeavors in the Rumours forum.

for starters, since we know 2015 is pretty much booked with FM-related stuff, i would like to focus beyond this year, on 2016.

this is a multiple choice poll - vote for everything you think will happen:

a) FM album will finally come out in 2015, wrapping up current FM activities before the start of 2016
b) LB will tour solo in 2016
c) LB will work on new solo album in 2016
d) LB will work with other non-FM related artists on their projects in 2016
e) LB will take a year off in 2016

at a recent On With the Show stop in DC, a friend of mine made these signs, which we held up during the show. LB loved them and commented how well thought-through and astute the signs were, and that he can completely see 2016 as being back to solo year:

i guess there is a slight possibility that he can work on some side project with Christine, or, some type of BN project, but i don't see either of these anywhere high up on the list if they finally manage to put out that FM album. any of his work with Christine is best labeled FM, whether or not there are 4 or 5 FM members present.

also, there may be a slight possibility that FM will decide to tour their new album if they manage to release it. from the recent band members' statements, i don't see that tour happening any time soon either... unless Mick manages to throw away really fast all millions he's making on the OWTS tour.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wasn't sure how to vote, because I'm not convinced the FM album will be wrapped up and released by the close of 2015-

The FM tour doesn't end til midway thru 2015. I envision they will take some sort of short break/vacations and then get back to the album. Knowing how long this stuff always seems to take them, I'd be thrilled to bits if they get the RECORDING of the new album done by close of 2015, and would faint from excitement if they were mixing or done the mixing by close of 2015.

So I would see 2016 starting out with getting the album finished mixing, the cover photos etc and then a bunch of media promoting it-- tv interviews, blah blah blah.

I do (hope to) see Lindsey solo work getting underway at some time in 2016, hopefully by spring.

I don't know if I'm just a little cynical about this band or just hedging my bets, so if we get more it's a bonus rather than setting expectations too high and getting disappointed.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It sounds to me like Lindsey's #1 priority right now is a new album with Fleetwood Mac. I suspect he will quarantine himself until that happens. He did his 3 solo albums in a row, dabbled with other artists, and now he's itching to have some creative forward momentum with the band. If that falls through (possibly because Stevie keeps kicking the ball further down the road), I can see Lindsey starting to coalesce new solo material. However, I still think he will continue to hold out releasing his own work until the band finishes theirs. He's been pushing for a new album from them for what, 6 years now?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
wasn't sure how to vote, because I'm not convinced the FM album will be wrapped up and released by the close of 2015-

The FM tour doesn't end til midway thru 2015. I envision they will take some sort of short break/vacations and then get back to the album. Knowing how long this stuff always seems to take them, I'd be thrilled to bits if they get the RECORDING of the new album done by close of 2015, and would faint from excitement if they were mixing or done the mixing by close of 2015.

So I would see 2016 starting out with getting the album finished mixing, the cover photos etc and then a bunch of media promoting it-- tv interviews, blah blah blah.

I do (hope to) see Lindsey solo work getting underway at some time in 2016, hopefully by spring.

I don't know if I'm just a little cynical about this band or just hedging my bets, so if we get more it's a bonus rather than setting expectations too high and getting disappointed.
i actually agree with everything you wrote, and when i was clicking to add my vote for album being wrapped before 2016, i had to work hard against my more cynical (or realistic?) nature. but i am willing it to happen in 2015!

and i agree, that we'd be lucky if he gets any solo work underway by the spring 2016, and FM album etc doesn't spill well into 2016.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It sounds to me like Lindsey's #1 priority right now is a new album with Fleetwood Mac. I suspect he will quarantine himself until that happens. He did his 3 solo albums in a row, dabbled with other artists, and now he's itching to have some creative forward momentum with the band. If that falls through (possibly because Stevie keeps kicking the ball further down the road), I can see Lindsey starting to coalesce new solo material. However, I still think he will continue to hold out releasing his own work until the band finishes theirs. He's been pushing for a new album from them for what, 6 years now?
agree (again!) with everything you wrote. still choose to be optimistic that other / solo stuff will also happen in 2016. it's a year away!

yeah he's been pushing this new FM album since 2009. in 2010 SN said no, not interested in making new music with FM, and did a solo album. so LB had some unexpected time and filled it with recording SWS. in 2012, SN again said no to FM album, but by the end of the year agreed on issuing some of the new LB songs plus her very, very old song as FM EP. and in 2014, she said no for the third time, once again putting a solo project ahead of FM, even though now Christine was back and very willing to work on new FM album.

it's interesting that SN's output since 2010 does not seem to have any new music written by her (please correct if wrong, i'm obviously not that well versed in her output, this is just what's on wikipedia). so maybe that's main roadblock for her, worry that she will not be able contribute any new music to FM (in DR doc she was very proud of writing bunch of new songs for SYW - is that batch the last new music she wrote that was released?), and she feels she should? and unlike Christine and Lindsey, she's not, for whatever reason, open to collaborating with either one of them and co-writing some new songs as a band.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i actually agree with everything you wrote, and when i was clicking to add my vote for album being wrapped before 2016, i had to work hard against my more cynical (or realistic?) nature. but i am willing it to happen in 2015!

and i agree, that we'd be lucky if he gets any solo work underway by the spring 2016, and FM album etc doesn't spill well into 2016.

agree (again!) with everything you wrote. still choose to be optimistic that other / solo stuff will also happen in 2016. it's a year away!

yeah he's been pushing this new FM album since 2009. in 2010 SN said no, not interested in making new music with FM, and did a solo album. so LB had some unexpected time and filled it with recording SWS. in 2012, SN again said no to FM album, but by the end of the year agreed on issuing some of the new LB songs plus her very, very old song as FM EP. and in 2014, she said no for the third time, once again putting a solo project ahead of FM, even though now Christine was back and very willing to work on new FM album.

it's interesting that SN's output since 2010 does not seem to have any new music written by her (please correct if wrong, i'm obviously not that well versed in her output, this is just what's on wikipedia). so maybe that's main roadblock for her, worry that she will not be able contribute any new music to FM (in DR doc she was very proud of writing bunch of new songs for SYW - is that batch the last new music she wrote that was released?), and she feels she should? and unlike Christine and Lindsey, she's not, for whatever reason, open to collaborating with either one of them and co-writing some new songs as a band.
I'm quite sure that In Your Dreams album contained a stack of new songs, not just old, unreleased demos. Some examples are For What It's Worth, In Your Dreams, Everybody Loves You, You May Be The One, Italian Summer, Cheaper Than Free...which I think were all written in 2010

The lyrics to the song I Don't Care on 24 Karat Gold were, except for the chorus, written this year by Stevie Nicks.

I don't think we can really explain away Stevie's non-participation so far as a classic case of writer's block because she is quite proud of the fact that she writes something new every day of her life - not necessarily complete songs, but poems or general thoughts that later turn into songs.

Given all the hype Lindsey and Christine have created about a new Fleetwood Mac album...all the talk about at least 8 new songs...and given how little work Stevie Nicks would need to contribute to this new studio album, I really do think she will be participating eventually. I also think that she will delay her studio work with Fleetwood Mac as long as is reasonably possible.

If they give her an ultimatum that they will release a new album without her featured on it, if she chooses not to participate...then I'm sure she would get into the studio with them as quick as a flash.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
I'm quite sure that In Your Dreams album contained a stack of new songs, not just old, unreleased demos. Some examples are For What It's Worth, In Your Dreams, Everybody Loves You, You May Be The One, Italian Summer, Cheaper Than Free...which I think were all written in 2010

The lyrics to the song I Don't Care on 24 Karat Gold were, except for the chorus, written this year by Stevie Nicks.
they are new songs, but the music is not written by SN, if wikipedia is to be believed. all new music was attributed to either Dave Stewart, Mike Campbell, Neale Heywood, or in the case of that Sound City song, Dave Grohl. SN's contributions seem to be only lyrics, for anything after 2003 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
If they give her an ultimatum that they will release a new album without her featured on it, if she chooses not to participate...then I'm sure she would get into the studio with them as quick as a flash.
yes, i really hope they'll finally decide wait is not worth it, artistically, and release all that new music as fast as possible.

also, and unfortunately, as far as advertising goes, SN's team is lightning years ahead of the rest of FM (they seem to be in the stone age, if judging by EP), so that album will not get the attention it probably deserves.

Last edited by elle; 01-03-2015 at 07:30 PM..
Old 01-03-2015, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He's been wanting new material with FM all the time since the 2009 tour. Old news. He will continue to want that until the goat bows and clicks in. With whatever seventh hand bull**** material. He'll push something out of it worth while for the world to get her name on the credits. And then she'll bitch about the quality of it blaming on him. it will be repeated history...

Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=elle;1157215]they are new songs, but the music is not written by SN, if wikipedia is to be believed. all new music was attributed to either Dave Stewart, Mike Campbell, Neale Heywood, or in the case of that Sound City song, Dave Grohl. SN's contributions seem to be only lyrics, for anything after 2003 or so.

all true. and you don't need to rely on Wikipedia; the album credits all say the same thing. Love Stevie but she used up whatever novel, original musical ideas she had a long long time ago. She's a "top end" writer-- lyrics and melody. Her last two albums got done because of Dave Stewart-- not just as a producer but as a co-writer who said basically, right, here we go, sit down, let's write NOW, and blew through a ton of her 'poems'. (edited to add: his co-writing mainly IYD; his push as producer on 24k)

Lindsey takes a really long time producing-- let's face it, he bears a big block of responsibility/blame/whatever you want to call it for a Mac album taking so damned long to finish. Lots and lots of tracks and dubs and the like.

THat said, if he just gave up nitpicking la Nicks' lyrics (which will only add time in the form of battles, arguments, etc) that would help shorten the production time somewhat. But not sure that's entirely realistic.

I wish they'd just get on with it. Jeebus.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 01-03-2015 at 08:52 PM..
Old 01-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
He's been wanting new material with FM all the time since the 2009 tour. Old news. He will continue to want that until the goat bows and clicks in. With whatever seventh hand bull**** material. He'll push something out of it worth while for the world to get her name on the credits. And then she'll bitch about the quality of it blaming on him. it will be repeated history...
probably all very true... if there's anything we can learn from history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Lindsey takes a really long time producing-- let's face it, he bears a big block of responsibility/blame/whatever you want to call it for a Mac album taking so damned long to finish. Lots and lots of tracks and dubs and the like.

THat said, if he just gave up nitpicking la Nicks' lyrics (which will only add time in the form of battles, arguments, etc) that would help shorten the production time somewhat. But not sure that's entirely realistic.

I wish they'd just get on with it. Jeebus.
see i think the same as Nicks has changed - used to write melodies but now seems to either have writer's block or is just not interested for whatever other reason to work on melodies - that you can't say that the way LB used to work in the past is the same as he works now, as a producer, or in releasing new material.

not only has LB been working relatively fast (for him) in the last 5 or so years, but also has let other producers hold the reigns when it comes to his songs. and he and Christine were done with her 7 or so songs in less than 2 months, and he's been adamant they have about 8 songs practically done.

as far as him wanting to change or contribute to Nicks' songs (or "nitpicking" as you termed it), it's just my hunch he may have actually let go of a lot of that on her songs on SYW when compared to their earlier work together, and what ended up happening was that they both compromised for the sake of peace and nobody was really happy with the results.

that said, he might just be happy with anything from her right now, to just wrap that "last act album" and get it out. i mean he barely did anything on Without You, right? they just recorded it and put it out.

Old 01-03-2015, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah, I wasn't really dumping on Linds, just going by what we saw on SYW, the whole "person/tense" discussion… Clearly he can't say ANYTHING to her about her lyrics without it turning into a major turf battle… so I agree, if he really is over tweaking her flukey lyrics, maybe, just MAYBE that's one less hurdle. I think her best work was with him early on and that she benefits immensely from an editor, but in her legendary years she's just not gonna listen to him….and I think it's a foregone conclusion that unless it's Dave S. producing, she's gonna gripe about how it all comes out no matter what. So if the band just accepts her crankiness about the finished product as a given and doesn't get too worried about that and can just get her to actually commit to dates in the studio we may well get our collective wish of a final album.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

as far as him wanting to change or contribute to Nicks' songs (or "nitpicking" as you termed it), it's just my hunch he may have actually let go of a lot of that on her songs on SYW when compared to their earlier work together, and what ended up happening was that they both compromised for the sake of peace and nobody was really happy with the results.
"nitpicking" was my interpretation of how she sees his comments.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

None of the above. 2016 will be the year of Mac's album and touring behind it.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post

I think that too but the album will be released sometime in 2015.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I agree that the 2015 timetable seems unlikely for a new album release. However, I don't doubt work on a new Mac album will pick back up later this year.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm cynical. I'd rather be happily surprised, (with a solo tour/album!) but I'm thinking he's going to delay it.
Just a dream, just a dream.