User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

"I Do" was released, and I think "Winds of Change" was, too.
The promo single is on Ebay with spooky Dennis Wilson rose garden-like cover!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLEETWOOD-MA...item3ca43fdaab
Old 05-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post

The German CD single for "I Do" is absolutely worth tracking down. It features the radio edit, plus "Talkin' To My Heart," and the extended & dub versions of "Little Lies."

I've never found a promo single for any of the other 'Time' tracks, but I'd love to find one if it's out there.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
The German CD single for "I Do" is absolutely worth tracking down. It features the radio edit, plus "Talkin' To My Heart," and the extended & dub versions of "Little Lies."
That's the CD single I have. (also has an alternate photo from that of the album's cover shoot)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:23 PM

I didn't realize Christine and Richard produced the track.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a different Promo CD with the Penguin on the cover. I got it off Ebay a while ago.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There was an interesting posting on Richards blog concerning Time:

Anonymous poster:
Hello Richard, what was it like working on the "Time" album during a period of such a big change within the band?

Richard Dashut:
I hated it. Remember having big problems with a stubborn Dave Mason, who wouldn’t take any production advice. Ended up quitting early on that one I was so frustrated. Felt like a big let down after five quality albums and with no Stevie and Lindsey, I had no real spiritual connection to the project. I probably agreed to do it in the first place just for the money, my bad.

I can see that come through on the album. Dave's songs (which aren't the strongest anyway) could perhaps have come across better with different/better production. I suppose that's what you get when you have people that have 'been around the block a few times'- set in their ways and unwilling to take direction from others.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
There was an interesting posting on Richards blog concerning Time:
That was my question
Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Ooh. I can't get behind that. "Alone Together" is just a masterpiece. There are few albums I've ever heard that match the sheer beauty of its production, Fleetwood Mac or otherwise. I also love the record he made with Mama Cass and "Let It Flow".
I like the Time album for what it is -- a peculiar anomaly in a band with a very varied history. Dave Mason was the oddity member for the fact that he already had a long established career at a solo artist, so it seemed like he was just gigging with the band in his spare time.

Now please excuse my divergence:

I love that you mentioned another anomaly that is Dave Mason/Cass Elliot album! I'm huge fan of all things Cass Elliot, from her her folk days with The Big Three, The Mugwamps, and the Mamas & Papas, and her short-lived solo career. This rather obscure album is just amazing. Cass had many musical friends, including Dave. I love listening to it; my only beef is that Cass only has one solo vocal song on it. But but she can sing harmonies like no other; her indelible voice just shines through.

They performed a handful of shows together at the Fillmore, billed as Mason Cass. I have an original handbill from one of the shows. I wish there was more documentation from these rare performances. Their solo careers were their main priorities. This partnership was just a bizarre a one-off venture, but it's really good! Glad to hear of someone else who knows and likes the album. It was re-released a few years ago.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 08-14-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-17-2014, 09:31 PM
Ledgie

I find it difficult to explain a like or dislike for Time given the course of events, circumstances and personnel changes in Fleetwood Mac after Behind the Mask. Although there are great musicians that offered some good songs, I think the time period would have been better suited for solo or side projects.

Zoo; Shakin' the Cage: I do not mind, and actually like, a harder rocking sound after Behind the Mask. I liked the direction this band was going. Another LP would have established the band. The diamond in the rough here is Brett Tuggle, who has handled keyboards, bass, guitar and vocals well for Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey and Stevie.

Christine: I have been aware of rumors Christine may have recorded a solo LP in the 1990s. It would have been similar to In the Meantime with Mick, John and Billy contributing along with George Hawkins and Steve Ferrone. Mentioning Brett, I wonder if he and Christine met during this time.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
I find it difficult to explain a like or dislike for Time given the course of events, circumstances and personnel changes in Fleetwood Mac after Behind the Mask. Although there are great musicians that offered some good songs, I think the time period would have been better suited for solo or side projects.
I don't see it.

Future Games: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Kirwan, Welch

Rumours: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Buckingham, Nicks

Time: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Burnette, Bramlette, Mason

Fleetwood, McVie, McVie...FLEETWOOD MAC.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't see it.

Future Games: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Kirwan, Welch

Rumours: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Buckingham, Nicks

Time: Fleetwood, McVie, McVie, Burnette, Bramlette, Mason

Fleetwood, McVie, McVie...FLEETWOOD MAC.
AMEN!
Old 08-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just been listening to Time again. It really does feature some good songs. Perhaps Billy's vocals need to be more prominent- he didn't sing enough lead on this album. I think the overall sound of the album was too soft as the majority of the lead vocals were Becca & Christine (Even though past albums featured 2/3 female vocalists, Stevie's harsher voice counter-balanced Christine's more).
Old 08-18-2014, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...and all Christine's contributions are very good by the way. Sooner or Later in particular has just stood out to me as a song I've really under-appreciated in the past.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusky View Post

I have that promo. I recall I bought for less than 5 bucks.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Off the top of my head I remember that Dave Mason was in a beat type group The Hellions about when Mick was in The Cheynes, maybe their paths crossed a fair bit starting then. When he was with Traffic they were famous for going out into the country communally living and working to get their sound together, which example FM followed at Kiln House and then Kinfauns. Dave never quite jelled with Traffic and left, and returned, and left again. Not surprising he didn't fit in Fleetwood Mac really either. Not really a group kind of person it would seem, he wrote alone and just needed others to record, that sort of situation.

He had some fairly sizable hit compositions... Feelin' All Right and Hole In My Shoe with Traffic. You Can All Join In was also popular. Solo he charted with his 'Alone Together' album on the Blue Thumb label (home also of Love and Dan Hicks at the time among others) and We Just Disagree got lots of airplay in the late '70s. He also played second guitar on some Jimi Hendrix sessions.

The album with Cass is a gem I think but have seen it totally slagged by some, if nothing else it has it's own unique sound in a sea of early '70s conformity, and some genuinely interesting lyrics that would have been at home on a Television album. I'd never part with it myself!

The Mamas & Papas really set the bar high for self-destructive behaviours it's true, Buckingham and Nicks are fly weights really next to Papa John finding Mama Michelle in bed with Papa Denny shortly after they'd signed a multi album deal with Dunhill. Cass had a thing for Denny who just about killed himself in a drunken motorcycle accident the next day (and you can see his chest bandage in some early promo photos). All this before the first album release. Basically Cass got out of there as soon as possible which was having fulfilled the Dunhill contract (only they added a fifth album on to it and she had to go back). John almost killed her making her do endless takes in the studio, and the pressure to diet on top. The same people helped kill Karen Carpenter is all I can say.
To add to the drama, Michelle was fired from the group soon after the success of their first album because she was ****ing around with The Byrd's Gene Clark. They did a few shows and started recording a new album with her replacement , Jill Gibson, their producer Lou Adler's girlfriend. They even had an album cover mocked up with Jill in it. Michelle begged her way back into the group. The resulting album has vocals with both Michelle and Jill. And Cass got busted for bringing pot to the UK, and their shows there were cancelled. She died, while on a solo tour in London in the same apartment Keith Moon died in years later.

Two years later, after they had all gone their separate ways, each of them was sued for a million dollars because they walked away from their record contract while owing the company one more album. They had to regroup one more time to avoid the law suit. What really sucks for fans is that there are no bootleg recordings of any of their live shows (which were very few in their short-live career -about 35 concert appearances in total). There is hardly any information about their shows, tour schedules, set lists, reviews etc...only one or two photos of them on stage.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-02-2014 at 07:33 PM..