Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Brother and Sister

I like this instrumentally a lot, more than I like the vocals or the lyrics. I don't like the way the last syllable of each sentence is held for several notes.

I like having harmonies and I know that that will recall FM for some, but thank goodness FM sounded a lot better than that to me.

He plays the whole last two minutes.

He uses "blue turns gray". Reminds me of his cover.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 12-11-2012 at 01:55 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, it's the best of the lovely bunch. This work seems an extension of his OMS. And no distorted whisper vocals. !

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Ledgie

To me Brother & Sister is one of hist best productions EVER.

And I love the instrumentation (the crazy percussion, amazing guitars, those strings!) also the sound quality in it. Warm, with an upfront voice, modern, mature. I assume the sound enginnering and/or mixing has been done by someone else. And some guest musicians. We all know Norah Jones can do a whole lot more, but I am Lindsey's fan, and I love just the color she gives to the harmonies. Refreshing.

Much more than Seeds we Sow album, which I didn't like much the sound (guitars sounded a bit harsh sometimes, everything sounded less organic, and not very ellaborated for his standards, IMO).

Anyway, Lindsey is on a great form again, I wish he will do a new album more with this approach... and win some Grammys not many more oldies tours, but new material.
He can sound more modern and imaginative that most of the current young indie artists to me.

Last edited by xhector; 12-13-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think, instrumentally, It's a toppiece. I agree with Michelle the Chorus is Pretty bland and lyrically flat. I don't see Why you should repeat the words brother and sister that much and with such urge. Bit awkward to my ears. But musically I agree, It's fresh and modern, even innovative.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhector View Post
To me Brother & Sister is one of hist best productions EVER.

And I love the instrumentation (the crazy percussion, amazing guitars, those strings!) also the sound quality in it. Warm, with an upfront voice, modern, mature. I assume the sound enginnering and/or mixing has been done by someone else. And some guest musicians. We all know Norah Jones can do a whole lot more, but I am Lindsey's fan, and I love just the color she gives to the harmonies. Refreshing.

Much more than Seeds we Sow album, which I didn't like much the sound (guitars sounded a bit harsh sometimes, everything sounded less organic, and not very ellaborated for his standards, IMO).

Anyway, Lindsey is on a great form again, I wish he will do a new album more with this approach... and win some Grammys not many more oldies tours, but new material.
He can sound more modern and imaginative that most of the current young indie artists to me.
I agree w/ everything you've said.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Ledgie

I keep addicted to these songs..

... and vocally! wow these are great performances.

So it seems it's been produced by someone else (well, i'm sure co-production would be more accurate, I don't think anyone can produce Lindsey, just listen, learn, maybe sort some ideas and share responsability, and yes, the technical part, which sure sounds different than the last records).
As a musician in these three songs, he sounds liberated. Like if, free of having to build a sonic concept, turn the knobs and everything, he just goes to the mic and sings his heart out or play a guitar part in just one take.
I love all kinds of Lindseys, but I think I never heard Lindsey so natural and well recorded.

Lyrically, well, if the lyrics aren't great I have an advantage as a non native English speaker hehe - to understand I should pay attention and make an effort, which I haven't done yet.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Simply put, these tracks are less fussy and more fun than anything on his last three albums.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Simply put, these tracks are less fussy and more fun than anything on his last three albums.
less fussy maybe... more fun?? not in a million years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I enjoyed very much most of UTS and GOS, and as I said SWS less. Brother and Sister to me is a top song (but so are Under the skin, Treason, Cast Away Dreams, Love Runs Deeper, Rock away blind... many top songs lol).
And, Sick of you and She acts like you, sound awesome, and are fine songs, though don't excite me as much and, by now, would not put them in the same list.

What I say is that the changes in the way of working these three songs, I think could be an opportunity for a next chapter (an album, hopefully someday).
The producer is Jon Brion. He also did 'The only place' by Best Coast, which is an album that sounds spectacular.

So, I normally would show my reserves for an outside producer, but this Jon Brion and Lindsey collaboration, I would hope it didn't end here

Last edited by xhector; 12-13-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Old 12-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
this Jon Brion and Lindsey collaboration, I would hope it didn't end here
Anytime Jon Brion works with an artist I like, I long for more! He really is a great collaborator.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I enjoyed very much most of UTS and GOS, and as I said SWS less. Brother and Sister to me is a top song (but so are Under the skin, Treason, Cast Away Dreams, Love Runs Deeper, Rock away blind... many top songs lol).
And, Sick of you and She acts like you, sound awesome, and are fine songs, though don't excite me as much and, by now, would not put them in the same list.
I am so moved by much of UTS, GOS and even parts of SWS There is no melody maker in the world, for me, like Lindsey. However, those albums are so serious, dour, and pretentious. These three tracks deal with some of the themes (especially family) in those three albums but with wit and an airy touch. Also: no "masked" whisper vocals.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am so moved by much of UTS, GOS and even parts of SWS
It's funny that we can see exactly what the other person doesn't see in a song. It's like our ears are detecting the exact opposite things.

I fail to see (hear) wit and air in the "40" tracks (maybe She Acts Like You, just a bit), especially when I place these songs against the drive of GOS, in particular too. SWS too (though I don't like the formal version of the title song there. I like the electric version a lot more).

To me, these "40" songs are along the same line as CAD and It Was You and Show You How (though not nearly as good as that last one), all of which I find quite whimsical and domestically themed. I see the new tunes as an extension of UTS in fact. Now, if all his album songs sounded like Treason, I'd be right there along with you. But to me Love Runs Deeper, Great Day, Gift of Screws, Wait for You, One Take not only zoom but are suggestive, wry and wily.

For the most part, the greater part, I find that GOS and SWS tracks rock and soar. And even when those songs get serious or reflective, it's done with such delicate intricacy (Bel Air Rain) that I'm drawn in without finding anything dour or pretentious about it.

I find the "40" songs are less complex. Perhaps more palatable for some, but less intriguing to me.

Michele
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

To me, these "40" songs are along the same line as CAD and It Was You and Show You How (though not nearly as good as that last one), all of which I find quite whimsical and domestically themed. I see the new tunes as an extension of UTS in fact.
Michele
Interesting. To me UTS is pretty singular, standing out for its minimalist instrumentation and absence of electric guitars. It's not quite as cohesive as Cradle or SWS but it's a damn good album.

I compare the songs from the soundtrack to the early 80s period, when Lindsey was painstakingly crafting pop songs like Trouble. Well, he did that with Cradle too, but lyrically Cradle is deeper than the "40" songs, which I think are meant to be lighter despite the wry tone. Lyrically, it's almost like Lindsey has gone back to just finding rhymes, throwing words together and using the words in a way that is less about message and more about putting the finishing touches on the canvas. Having said that, I like all three songs. I like pop Lindsey. When he gets into that mode, he may be lighter thematically but he can craft some seriously catchy tunes.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
I compare the songs from the soundtrack to the early 80s period, when Lindsey was painstakingly crafting pop songs like Trouble. Well, he did that with Cradle too, but lyrically Cradle is deeper than the "40" songs, which I think are meant to be lighter despite the wry tone. Lyrically, it's almost like Lindsey has gone back to just finding rhymes, throwing words together and using the words in a way that is less about message and more about putting the finishing touches on the canvas. Having said that, I like all three songs. I like pop Lindsey. When he gets into that mode, he may be lighter thematically but he can craft some seriously catchy tunes.
I like pop Lindsey. I like Trouble and Did You Miss Me. I don't 100% dislike Holiday Road. I mean, I'm happy with it in a way. I just don't want it played in concert, in the place of finer songs. I actually like Oh Diane, just fine. So, I think I like frothy Lindsey.

But to me, these "40" songs don't have as contagious a hook as the "poppy" tunes of his.

Michele
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This song would have been great with some editing down. I like the verses and harmonies, but the uninspired "Brother and Sister" chorus is repeated too many times and the instrumental parts, which start out clever and cool, wear out their welcome and become repetitive and boring. It would be different if there was melodic build in these instrumental parts but there's not; it's just more and more and more of the same. Not a favorite, sad to say.