User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I hear elements of "I'm So Afraid" in "Come."

"Eyes of the World" starts with a chord progression straight out of "Stephanie" (something I always thought was pretty harsh if deliberate).
Not to mention Pachelbel's Canon...
Old 03-28-2018, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Not to mention Pachelbel's Canon...
Yes, but Pachelbel's Canon is not rhythmically the same as those songs; "Eyes of the World" and "Stephanie" not only match in the chords but in the rhythm. The similarity is striking, IMHO.

Last edited by sodascouts; 03-28-2018 at 06:18 PM..
Old 03-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, but Pachelbel's Canon is not rhythmically the same as those songs; "Eyes of the World" and "Stephanie" not only match in the chords but in the rhythm. The similarity is striking, IMHO.
Agreed...

I put on Pachelbel's Canon in D and sang LB/CM parts to it.

Works like Christine Perfect...
Old 06-23-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Sitting on the couch tonight with a glass of wine listening to the bluray audio. Lindsey's amazing vocal on Crystal, so pure, almost bringing me to tears. Stevie's tender Landslide doing the same. I have a new appreciation for the intricacies of Sugar Daddy.

This group was magic. There will never be any other like them.

And they threw it all away!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And they threw it all away!
It’s not like they had much “it” left anymore. None of them have great voices left, they need practically another band to do a show, and they’re relying heavily on “prerecords.” They are a far cry from who they were.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It’s not like they had much “it” left anymore. None of them have great voices left, they need practically another band to do a show, and they’re relying heavily on “prerecords.” They are a far cry from who they were.
Go ahead and try to build up what's coming by minimizing what's been destroyed. The truth is that whatever greatness Fleetwood Mac had is now gone.

Old 06-23-2018, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Go ahead and try to build up what's coming by minimizing what's been destroyed. The truth is that whatever greatness Fleetwood Mac had is now gone.
And, it has been since 1982, at least as far as shows are concerned. For all the crap they get, the “Time” crew were able to do shows with just six people on stage and no backing tracks. To be sure, I have low expectations for the new lineup in that regard, too. I think it will be another choreographed mess.

The Rumours band was magic, but Fleetwood Mac has mostly felt like either a Vegas lounge act or a cover band for every tour since 1987, regardless of who was in the band. If they could have just gone out as a quintet, no backing musicians, backing vocalists, or prerecords, I might share that same sense of loss.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And, it has been since 1982, at least as far as shows are concerned. For all the crap they get, the “Time” crew were able to do shows with just six people on stage and no backing tracks. To be sure, I have low expectations for the new lineup in that regard, too. I think it will be another choreographed mess.

The Rumours band was magic, but Fleetwood Mac has mostly felt like either a Vegas lounge act or a cover band for every tour since 1987, regardless of who was in the band. If they could have just gone out as a quintet, no backing musicians, backing vocalists, or prerecords, I might share that same sense of loss.
The Dance had backup musicians and it was absolutely magical. And the SYW tour was amazing, as were most of their tours. The Time crew that you're talking about was a lot younger. Everyone gets old and obviously when these people get older their voices are going to get shot and their playing skills aren't going to be the same as when they were in their 30s. But they still put on a great show because they had that wonderful chemistry. If they had actually played at these ages without any backup singers or musicians you probably would've been able to more obviously spot the little cracks in the performance. Stevie's singers are sometimes too loud but aside from that their backup musicians help, rather than harm. It wouldn't have been the same as when they were all in their 30s around Mirage. There's nothing wrong with needing a little help when you're 60 and 70 years old. I don't think it ever felt like a "lounge act" in recent years for performance related reasons at all. It was mostly just the fact that they were touring over and over again behind no new music.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I don't think it ever felt like a "lounge act" in recent years for performance related reasons at all. It was mostly just the fact that they were touring over and over again behind no new music.
It never felt like a "lounge act" to me. To me, A Fleetwood Mac show felt like a thrilling, wonderful, unforgettable experience.

Last edited by sodascouts; 06-23-2018 at 11:27 PM..
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To each their own. I never felt it was “magic” with the extra musicians, and I don’t think they needed them. They say it’s to fill out the sound, but it really leaves the shows void of personality, character, or raw energy, and age has nothing to do with it. Willie and Dylan still do it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I guess you guys don't know what I mean. I meant the sound of the instruments mostly. Get like it used to be has the drum shuffle, the exact same guitar sound, and piano banging sound Don't Stop.
Christine plays her shuffle the same on all her shuffle songs: Get Like, Don't Stop, Stop Messing. Onstage, it gives those songs a similar atmosphere. Her piano shuffle is a replication of the style of Sonny Thompson, who cowrote with Freddie King. Chris was listening to King a lot in the old days.

moviekinks.blogspot.com