The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do think Stevie doesn't like Lindsey's current (at least how she sees it) aesthetic applied to her songs, and I think as far as working with him, it seems okay one on one but with all of the boys she feels outnumbered. A lot of "girly" women (to use her own wording from one of her songs) feel like that in male-dominated spheres, I don't have a lot of condescension for her for that to be honest. It can feel very isolating, even though she puts a tough face on for the press. It's one thing to be appreciated despite your quirks and another to be appreciated because of your quirks, and my theory is that the people who she collaborates with on her own are more of the latter than the former. Yes, she has to show up to have input, but if she decides she can live without putting input into FM, then that's moot.

And I absolutely think she's insecure since the 90's, and feels more comfortable braving her insecurities when only her own artistic credentials rest on it than when the whole band's do. She does not want to be the weakest link in Fleetwood Mac, ever since the early days when she was singled out as the least worthwhile member.

Personally I don't see what's particularly diva-ish about her behavior, since there's nothing that's come out that would suggest she would prevent the other Mac members from putting out a new album with minimal input from her. They're the ones who want more of her, but we don't know that she's keeping them from proceeding without her. I do think it's weird to just want to tour with the band and not really create, but honestly if the rest of the band is fine with it, I don't see how it can offend me if it doesn't offend them, I don't really see on whose behalf I'm being offended. Especially if she is the main draw on a tour; if that's the case then all of them get richer because of her presence. And if that's an issue for all of them, she's certainly not the only one who cares about money.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
to BASH Stevie Nicks forum.
this is tiresome. As a Stevie fan (Mac secondarily), i am annoyed by the divide among the fans. SHEESH........

I totally agree with you Johnny.

I LOVE FM. First and foremost. I love all of the members and I used to think their best work is the five ( I'm still hoping Chris comes back after all of the recent events, show in Maui etc ) of them together. Unfortunately that has changed. I personally love what Butch Vig did with "You Can't Touch This" and I think it comes closer to the "Stevie" FM sound and feel than anything Lindsey has done recently. And I say this with nothing but pure love and admiration for Lindsey but Butch really nailed it. You can't blame her for wanting to promote it and Sound City right now. Plus she looks happier and more energetic on stage with Grohl and those Foos than she does with FM, I hate to say it cause it breaks my heart but its true. But it doesn't make her a bad person or heaven forbid, not a true artist!

And as far as In Your Dreams goes, can you really blame her for extending that tour, she did finally have a new body of work to be proud of. So to those of you that are questioning her artistic integrity, is that really justified? She had 6 new songs in that setlist, remember?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes I want another full FM album with Stevie but if she doesn't want to do it, it's her choice. Like someone else said, why can't the guys ( and maybe Chris! ) keep recording without her if they want a full on album?

I do agree that her basing a decision on whether or not to do a new album on the crowd's reaction to the 3 new songs is really a bad one As soon as the crowd hears it's a new song, it will be potty break time. I remember it well at the SYW shows unfortunately.

Last edited by Ledge Moderators; 02-20-2013 at 10:04 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dance View Post
I personally love what Butch Vig did with "You Can't Touch This" and I think it comes closer to the "Stevie" FM sound and feel than anything Lindsey has done recently.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

Its not meant to disrespect Lindsey at all! I love him as much as Stevie.
I just personally think "You Can't Touch This" has that 70's Stevie vibe to it. I hear parts of GDW in it, Rhiannon etc. I didn't hear that in any SYW songs... To be fair, I didn't hear anything like it on In Your Dreams either.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the song is called " You can't fix this". I like what Vig did to it too. They deliberately copied the sound of the early seventies, to capture some of the legacy of the soundboard in audio, but then in 2012. And Lindsey will never Go back to that sound because It's 2013.We'll have to wait until the three songs come out to know what he did to Fleetwood Mac.
Lindsey has not done anything to her songs recently. That happened all more than 10 years ago. The only thing he did was the sparse instrumentation on Soldiers' Angel.

And she couldn't stop bragging about that. "He saved my song".

Last edited by shackin'up; 02-20-2013 at 01:59 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Hahaha!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dance View Post
I guess what I'm trying to say is that yes I want another full FM album with Stevie but if she doesn't want to do it, it's her choice. Like someone else said, why can't the guys ( and maybe Chris! ) keep recording without her if they want a full on album?
No record company is going to want a FM album if Stevie is not on it. The public won't give a damn either except for maybe 1,000 fans of Lindsey Buckingham.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
to BASH Stevie Nicks forum.this is tiresome.
I think everyone here knows I love Stevie but I don't feel she is being bashed. We are just expressing opinions. Please don't be too sensitive.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I think everyone here knows I love Stevie but I don't feel she is being bashed. We are just expressing opinions. Please don't be too sensitive.
Yeah, we have invested a ton of money into this hippy chick, we have our opinions
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Plus she looks happier and more energetic on stage with Grohl and those Foos than she does with FM, I hate to say it cause it breaks my heart but its true. But it doesn't make her a bad person or heaven forbid, not a true artist!
Since I am the one who suggested she is not a true artist anymore, I suspect this is directed at me. But it's a straw man argument. I said she is not a true artist because a true artist doesn't blackmail his/her audience. Imagine if Picasso or Dali or Beethoven had said, "Well, if you don't LOVE this painting/symphony, that's it, no more for you! It's not enough to just like or enjoy it."

That the words even came out of her mouth says something about her that is very unpleasant. Like it or not, she makes a joke of herself by making such comments. If my reaction to that is "Stevie bashing," so be it. But she's a grown woman, and it's high time she learned how to edit herself.

My comment had nothing to do with whom else she chooses to make music because, frankly, I dont' care.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Since I am the one who suggested she is not a true artist anymore, I suspect this is directed at me. But it's a straw man argument. I said she is not a true artist because a true artist doesn't blackmail his/her audience. Imagine if Picasso or Dali or Beethoven had said, "Well, if you don't LOVE this painting/symphony, that's it, no more for you! It's not enough to just like or enjoy it."

That the words even came out of her mouth says something about her that is very unpleasant. Like it or not, she makes a joke of herself by making such comments. If my reaction to that is "Stevie bashing," so be it. But she's a grown woman, and it's high time she learned how to edit herself.

My comment had nothing to do with whom else she chooses to make music because, frankly, I dont' care.
I don't know how many people would take that as blackmailing. I certainly didn't. Stevie loves her fans, and I'm sure she never thought of her comments as blackmail. She has always said she loves that her music can touch people and make a difference in their lives, and I'm sure she is scared by the thought of people becoming apathetic to her art. If nobody cares about what you do, it's not very motivating to keep doing it. I think that's what she meant. It's true for a regular Joe like me in my line of work; I'm sure it's true 10 times over if you're Stevie Nicks.

The bottom line in all of this is that everybody has their mind made up about Stevie, so no matter what she says or does, people will interpret it in a way that reinforces their own perceptions (reminds me a lot of politics actually). Does she have fans who think she only farts rainbows? Yes. But there's another contingent on the opposite side ready to make the worst of everything.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
She has always said she loves that her music can touch people and make a difference in their lives, and I'm sure she is scared by the thought of people becoming apathetic to her art. If nobody cares about what you do, it's not very motivating to keep doing it. I think that's what she meant.
I can understand that, but in my opinion a true artist doesn't do art for the reaction. A shock jock, maybe. But true art is done for its own sake.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I can understand that, but in my opinion a true artist doesn't do art for the reaction. A shock jock, maybe. But true art is done for its own sake.
She didn't say she would stop making music, just that if no one really loved what they were doing, they would just make music for themselves then.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
She didn't say she would stop making music, just that if no one really loved what they were doing, they would just make music for themselves then.
Fundamentally, I don't have a problem with that. I take issue with what it means to make music for oneself. Whether you are doing it for the band or as a solo project, you should first do it for yourself. The result should be better art.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Fundamentally, I don't have a problem with that. I take issue with what it means to make music for oneself. Whether you are doing it for the band or as a solo project, you should first do it for yourself. The result should be better art.
I think she meant more along the lines of that she would just keep her music to herself.

Which still seems a bit petty, but I understand that it's not easy to put out a record (or at least, it's not easy for Fleetwood Mac, apparently) so it might not be worth it to put something out if they don't feel like it's going to be appreciated.

By they I mean Stevie b/c although she referred to it as a 'we' thing, I don't know this is something they would all agree on.