Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Ledgie

Default Marianne Faithfull - Angel Cover

Just listened to this here:

http://www.clashmusic.com/feature/tr...anne-faithfull

Sounds amazing. I can't wait the one or two months to buy the album (even tho I fully intend to).

Does anyone have this in mp3 format or know where to get it? Thanks!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hmmm.....doesn't knock me out...
Old 07-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, who listened to this and paused to praise her deity of choice for Stevie's modern voice?

Yes, it's deteriorated. But she doesn't sound like a dude.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
So, who listened to this and paused to praise her deity of choice for Stevie's modern voice?

Yes, it's deteriorated. But she doesn't sound like a dude.
I didn't listen to it...and don't have to. The first thing I thought of when I saw her name was that Metallica song with her going da da da ... Even back then I prayed Stevie would never sound that bad!!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for the link, I was really interested in hearing this after I read that it was going to happen.

Angel is my favorite FM/SN song, so I had to take a deep breath before clicking on the play button.

Well, it's okay, but I don't see that it adds anything to the orginal. At least it does not hurt too bad.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally... an FM cover that I actually enjoy! No, Marianne Faithfull has not been a chirpy soprano for, oh... going on 40 years. But I love the bittersweet darkness she brings to "Angel;" in fact, I think she quite owns this song, which is quite impressive when you consider that she probably has no idea what this song means (along with the rest of us!). But considering Stevie's and Marianne's strikingly parallel lives as youthful ingenues who transformed into American and British elder stateswomen via a hard life of rock and roll, booze, drugs and lousy lovers, perhaps she understands it instinctively... in words unspoken.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Finally... an FM cover that I actually enjoy! No, Marianne Faithfull has not been a chirpy soprano for, oh... going on 40 years. But I love the bittersweet darkness she brings to "Angel;" in fact, I think she quite owns this song, which is quite impressive when you consider that she probably has no idea what this song means (along with the rest of us!). But considering Stevie's and Marianne's strikingly parallel lives as youthful ingenues who transformed into American and British elder stateswomen via a hard life of rock and roll, booze, drugs and lousy lovers, perhaps she understands it instinctively... in words unspoken.
Ditto. Well said!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's pretty well known that I don't care for Angel. But I *really* like the production of this version! The meandering guitar solo/outro is my fav part... it gives this version a more revved up climax that I feel the original lacks. I've always felt the original Angel just treaded water... it didn't really go anywhere. But this version seems to fix that.

I've long adored Marianne, too... I could never have imagined her covering Fleetwood Mac (especially Stevie!). I've gotta say, knowing what a hard core rocker she is, she sounds kinda silly singing Stevie's flowery words.

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, I really, really enjoyed hearing it!!
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is great! I don't care for the original. Stevie's lyrics mostly just leave me pulling this face: But Marianne's cover makes them almost irrelevant. The production is excellent and I will always love her voice.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Angel never sounded like a song. More like an idea for a song that was never finished lyrically. I guess its fine for alternative folks since it does seem experimental. Suprised she chose this, but its a good cover.

Last edited by Jondalar; 07-16-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it it's different than the original and I like that with cover songs, she has a unique style marianne very haunting which Stevie's is and that is there in this cover too, always will love the original songs but so glad a tribute album came out and not totally dedicated to the rumours album and they chose songs from various albums.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's beautiful.