User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2004, 04:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default 'Lindsey's Favourite Songs' article in Qld newspaper

This is my first article transcription and I suck at typing so be kind.

This small article came with the SYW promo photo we've all seen a dozen times with Lindsey holding his hand really bizzarely and them all standing in an archway of the exterior of a meditarreanean-style house.

This Lindsey article appeared at the bottom of a full-page feature article about Stevie.

The Sunday Mail (Qld, Australia), Feb 8 2004

Lindsey's top Mac tracks

By RITCHIE YORKE

Fleetwood Mac guitarist and producer Lindsey Buckingham finds it a simple task to name the half-dozen or so tracks he views most fondly from the band's catalogue.

"From the current album, Say You Will, I'd name Red Rover, which is very much about a simple guitar part doing the work of the whole rhythm track to a great degree. That's the kind of thing that interests me at the moment," says Buckingham.

"Then we can backtrack to Big Love, which was on the Tango in the Night album. Again, it's a single guitar doing a lot of work.

"When I originally wrote it, it was a song about this lonely guy living on a hill in Bel Air in los Angeles. And right now, I'm still living on that same hill but in a new house with a beautiful family. So the song's taken on a bit of irony now."

Buckingham, whose history with mac singer Stevie Nicks extends back to a late-60s San Francisco acid-rock band called Fritz and a romantic involvement in the 70s, cites Gypsy, from the album Mirage, as the best song he produced for her.

"I think it's the best thing we ever did together as a team.

"Obviously I'm going to favour guitar songs in any list that I come up with. I especially like Never Going Back Again (from Rumours) with its sentiment of moving forward, of having been hurt but being resiliatn. Again, there's an irony there.

"Everytime you're in a happy state, you kind of have the illusion that you're never going to be hurt again.

"I'd probably have to name Go Your Own Way. It's something that I'm proud of, something that fell together properly.

"It's so hard picking out the best of Stevei's songs. I love a tune we're doing now from Tusk called beautiful Child, written by Stevie.

"And Tusk itself means a lot to me. It was the flagship song of the turn we took at that time. It represents a kind of symbolism to me."
Old 02-08-2004, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well mister "push the envelope", what a shocking list....

gerald

PS: thanks for typing & posting DOR!

Old 02-08-2004, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default lol, true

I swear it is a brand new interview, though. It's just that Lindsey sounds like every other interview.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default LMAO!!

Thanks much Joe for typing it up for us!!

I'm happy with him naming Red Rover, as it's my fave song from SYW also.

I wish he had named ISA too, as he has said it's his fave to play in concert along with Big Love.

You guys, he MAY have named other songs, but you KNOW how journalists omit things just like taking stuff out of context. They may have chosen the most well-known songs for their article...but yeah, I wish he would give more props to songs like I Know I'm Not Wrong or Tango in the Night.

Also, him mentioning Beautiful Child is great, because it's my fave song from Tusk.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting that article! It was quite interesting to see what Lindsey's top Mac tracks were. I particularly agree with him about Gypsy. It is one of the best tracks he produced for Stevie. I loved all the rest of his choices as well... especially Red Rover, NGBA and Beautiful Child.

Michelle

~long live the queen... under the skin~
Old 02-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for typing this up, Joe!!!

I have a sneaking suspicion this is the same interview that virtually ever newspaper has been pulling from since last year when they were in rehearsals for the tour. The quote from Stevie in her portion of the article is from a while ago. I would venture to guess that they did one huge interview that was released, giving journalists the opportunity to pull from and add whatever they want to it in order to make it into an article.

"Everytime you're in a happy state, you kind of have the illusion that you're never going to be hurt again."

Ooookay Lindsey...lol

This man? Will never change...
Old 02-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

He just keeps naming tour songs ( except RR).

He always sounds the same. I will admit, I usually get excited anymore with new interviews...unless Stevie is having one of her open days or the interviewer themselves adds their own edge...it seems so many interviews are same same same.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
it was a song about this lonely guy living on a hill in Bel Air in los Angeles.
...Yes, it's dramatic, but I could never figure out why Buckingham said this, as he was living with Cheri Caspari when he wrote BIG LOVE.....Fibber!

>>>This could be a newer interview, as BEAUTIFUL CHILD was not performed till later in the tour.......
Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
...Yes, it's dramatic, but I could never figure out why Buckingham said this, as he was living with Cheri Caspari when he wrote BIG LOVE.....Fibber!

>>>This could be a newer interview, as BEAUTIFUL CHILD was not performed till later in the tour.......
Beautiful Child was performed at the beginning of the tour...the only things that were dropped/added were Running Through The Garden, Destiny Rules, and Second Hand News, if memory serves (which at times it doesn't).

Cheri and Lindsey had a very on again/off again relationship so it is quite plausible that Big Love was written at one of those off times in their relationship or perhaps before they started to become an item.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by GardenStateGirlie
Beautiful Child was performed at the beginning of the tour...the only things that were dropped/added were Running Through The Garden, Destiny Rules, and Second Hand News, if memory serves (which at times it doesn't).
BUT: today it does

Old 02-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: 'Lindsey's Favourite Songs' article in Qld newspaper

Quote:
"It's so hard picking out the best of Stevie's songs
Hmmm, I wonder why? He always stumbles and fumbles with this question, even to this day.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: 'Lindsey's Favourite Songs' article in Qld newspaper

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller
Hmmm, I wonder why? He always stumbles and fumbles with this question, even to this day.
Even Lindsey has a hard time narrowing down one or two favorites out of all of Stevie's amazing songs!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Default Re: Re: Re: 'Lindsey's Favourite Songs' article in Qld newspaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Even Lindsey has a hard time narrowing down one or two favorites out of all of Stevie's amazing songs!
Nah, it's just because they're all written about him.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 02-10-2004, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Lindsey's Favourite Songs' article in Qld newspaper

Quote:
Originally posted by face of glass
Nah, it's just because they're all written about him.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4Buck
That really doesn't matter. He could have been writing during a relationship about a time when he was lonely. You don't just write about what is happening today. In fact, most writing is about the past.

Now, as for his picks, I don't find them that surprising. Keep in mind Go Your Own Way was a considerably different song from anything that was on the radio at the time. It has that unusual beat and we all know how proud he was of adding that acoustic guitar track at the last minute, which was a stroke of brilliance. As for Gypsy, I think most of us would agree that it is a brilliant song -- lyrics, vocals, production, the whole thing.